Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

How early can I check into my Dubai flight and use first class lounge?

How early can I check into my Dubai flight and use first class lounge?

Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by hamburglar
I'm in a similar situation here. I could either take a 4:50am flight from MCT to DXB, and the connect at 8:25 am to SFO, or take a night flight to DXB and stay overnight at the lounge. Waking up that early for a flight seems rough. I like the idea of maximizing my time in the lounge overnight like Jackal suggested. Is the lounge open 24 hours to stay overnight? Thanks!
4:50 am is a very odd time to depart. From my experience, I've stopped taking EK501 (which is a 4:30 am departure). The reason is that your sleep cycle goes for a toss. you reach the airport around 2:30 am, start feeling very drowsy as you wait for boarding, hardly get 2 hours of sleep on the plane (maybe even less), and then when you just get into deep sleep, its time to land with a headache and red eyes. (The 2nd daily Boston service starting Oct is great news for me as I now have an option to Boston without taking the dreaded 501.)

I'd probably choose an earlier flight and try and get some sleep in the lounge. The lounge is open 24 hours. Head for the B lounge which has some nice comfy sofas where you'll notice several people getting some sleep. You can also go to the quiet area but the sofas are innately more comfortable.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by m3red
No brainier for me - connect straight through then sleep a bit on the sfo leg before getting stuck into the DP
You mean take the early morning MCT flight? What's DP?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:47 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
What's DP?
Dom Perignon - The champagne that is served in F.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I'm in a similar situation here. I could either take a 4:50am flight from MCT to DXB, and the connect at 8:25 am to SFO, or take a night flight to DXB and stay overnight at the lounge. Waking up that early for a flight seems rough. I like the idea of maximizing my time in the lounge overnight like Jackal suggested. Is the lounge open 24 hours to stay overnight? Thanks!
We did end up doing this--spending our last day in AUH and returning the rental car just before midnight and going straight to the lounge. I stayed awake and got some work done (over a whisky and cigar, which was rather pleasant) and then slept immediately upon boarding the flight to SFO, which actually worked well to get my body clock readjusted for the U.S.; my traveling companion napped on one of the couches and said he slept OK, though he slept more on the flight. We did have breakfast right before boarding.

It was a perfectly fine experience and IMHO much better (and less harried) than waking up at 5am to get to the airport at 6am for the 8am flight, but I'll agree with some of the other posters that it's actually not all that amazing/great of a lounge compared to other great ground experiences (LH FCT, BA CCR, etc.), so I probably wouldn't make an effort to go out of my way to spend a lot of time in it for the sake of spending time in it (i.e. don't plan to give up a day of sightseeing in DXB to arrive at the lounge at 10am for an 8pm flight). That said, for our needs and purposes and our 8am flight, it worked quite well.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 6:51 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by jackiedada
4:50 am is a very odd time to depart. From my experience, I've stopped taking EK501 (which is a 4:30 am departure). The reason is that your sleep cycle goes for a toss. you reach the airport around 2:30 am, start feeling very drowsy as you wait for boarding, hardly get 2 hours of sleep on the plane (maybe even less), and then when you just get into deep sleep, its time to land with a headache and red eyes. (The 2nd daily Boston service starting Oct is great news for me as I now have an option to Boston without taking the dreaded 501.)
We did that flight last year. It's a killer. Next time I'd get a flight to DXB the day before and stay over in the Airport hotel.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
We did that flight last year. It's a killer. Next time I'd get a flight to DXB the day before and stay over in the Airport hotel.
Best advice of the thread ^
Old Jun 19, 2015, 3:30 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by SorinaIoana
Hello! I am a tourism student and I am trying to find out more about the experiences of airline passengers for my master thesis. If you have been flying in the last 1 month, would you be kind enough to fill in this online questionnaire? https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1GLI...?usp=send_form
It doesn’t take more than 5 minutes. I hope I did not bother with this request! All the best!
Posting this once is enough!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:09 am

Recently I wanted to fly from Dubai to Jeddah. I arrived at the airport at ~8pm with the ambition to book myself to the 2am flight to Jeddah when at the airport (my schedule changed short notice, the flight had seats, and I had an open ticket for a later date available). At the airport I learnt that the 2am flight was for pilgrims only, so I could only take the 7am flight.

Here the problem: Since I had a work-related all-nighter ahead of me anyways, I decided I would just wait it out in the airport lounge. So I approached the security post (the one before passport control) with my boarding pass for the 7am flight, and I was refused access to the airport. "This is too far ahead of your flight. You cannot arrive so early. We would only let you pass if you had a reservation for the airport hotel." EK confirmed that this information is correct. All of this happened during Ramadan.

My question for you: How long in advance of your flight can you pass the checkpoint at passport control in Dubai? Anybody knows? ~11 hours seems to have been too long.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by jackal

Hotels in DXB are cheap enough that it's not really about saving money but rather maximizing the experience and enjoyment of the EK product, and part of that is the a la carte food service in the lounge (which is IMO better experienced at dinner rather than breakfast). It would just be nice to get a real night's sleep rather than a fitful sleep on a couch after that. Saving a few bucks on the hotel is just a bonus, but I suppose the airside hotel would work, too, if the accommodations in the lounge aren't going to make for a restful night. (I didn't know there was one, as I was not looking for it on my last trip through.)
I fly J, sometimes F, but if the hotels are charging an extortive rate, I will try to save money and find other alternatives: a cheaper hotel or a lounge. As Jackal said, it's about the experience, as well as somewhat about not paying through the nose.

Money is better off in my pocket than that of the hotel's bank account.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 2:39 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Here the problem: Since I had a work-related all-nighter ahead of me anyways, I decided I would just wait it out in the airport lounge. So I approached the security post (the one before passport control) with my boarding pass for the 7am flight, and I was refused access to the airport. "This is too far ahead of your flight. You cannot arrive so early. We would only let you pass if you had a reservation for the airport hotel." EK confirmed that this information is correct. All of this happened during Ramadan.
No direct experience and I guess that the epic stories of setting up residence in the lounge are ususally transit experiences. I wonder if your experience would heave been different if you had arrived at 8am for a 7pm departure? It may be that they tend to be more strict in discouraging long stays overnight.

Last edited by pomkiwi; Aug 14, 2015 at 2:46 am
Old Aug 14, 2015, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by pomkiwi

It may be that they tend to be more strict in discouraging long stays overnight.
Indeed.

Perhaps part of a new policy to address the (very very) early check-in syndrome.

Reminds me of that spoof thread which cropped up a little while back, discussing the feasibility of spending three or four days in the lounge - as opposed to the more conventional couple of hours or so ......

Am struggling to recall just which poster it was who began that thread
Old Aug 15, 2015, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
Indeed.

Perhaps part of a new policy to address the (very very) early check-in syndrome.
F passengers pay a lot of money to fly. Perhaps very very early check in syndrome (VVECS) should be a part of their benefit.

Originally Posted by subject2load
Reminds me of that spoof thread which cropped up a little while back, discussing the feasibility of spending three or four days in the lounge - as opposed to the more conventional couple of hours or so ......
3-4 days in the lounge?

What was the majority verdict?
Old Aug 15, 2015, 6:33 am

Unhappy

I think the 'majority verdict' was that lounges are there to kill a couple of hours or so before a flight, whether that means chilling out or catching up on work-related stuff ; but that when it comes to getting a night's sleep, the idea is to use places called hotels
Old May 21, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
I spent 30 hours in Changi (SIN, yes, the airport!) earlier this year. Will do the same in Feb.
Now hoping to get at least 16 hours in DXB, although flying to USA so hopefully I'll be able to get an e-boarding pass (as advised on FT) far earlier than the restricted 2-hour advance check-in.

Last edited by AAJetMan; May 21, 2016 at 3:42 pm
Old May 21, 2016, 3:42 pm

Good luck with that - sounds like the most tremendous fun

To coin a phrase ...... you must have a lot of time on your hands !!

I suppose I should qualify my remarks (and sense of bemusement) by adding "each to his own......"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.