Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

'Friends & Family Fares' for EK Employee's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

My friend works for EK, and has offered me one of his discounted fares he gets (he gets a certain quota each year he can use for friends and family). Has anyone ever used these before? From what I understand, you basically fly on standby, but at a very cheap rate? I guess the same deal EK employee's get themselves when the want to do personal travel? Any experience appreciated.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:30 pm

It's a standard ID90 ticket - so subject to space available, at 10% of the full fare ex-taxes, and assuming you are leaving ex-DXB, you'll find out at T-60 whether you made it on to the flight. Your friend should have access to portal/FABS to tell you the chance of making it onto the flight closer to the time. He will get an e-ticket once it's all processed and email it to you in the normal fashion.

Note that as an ID90 Special Ticket you'll probably be first to be kicked off the list if there are last minute revenue passengers who need to be accommodate on the flight.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:36 pm

Oh - sometimes the ID50 or even ID90 fares are actually more expensive than any special offers that might be going on at the time!

Additionally, your sponsor will be responsible for you following the dress code and behavioural standards expected by EK employees on staff travel - and of course there will be STF on the manifest so they will know who you are on board
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Oh - sometimes the ID50 or even ID90 fares are actually more expensive than any special offers that might be going on at the time!

Additionally, your sponsor will be responsible for you following the dress code and behavioural standards expected by EK employees on staff travel - and of course there will be STF on the manifest so they will know who you are on board
... and you will most likely receive the best on-board service you ever had ;-)

Regarding fares: I used to fly ID90s (mostly on EY) many times, although not recently. I cannot confirm that the ID90 fares were anywhere close to discounted economy, they were much cheaper. If I recall correctly, a return ticket AUH-Europe was in the range of AED 500 all-in for economy class and AED 1500 all in for business. I maybe wrong here, but for sure much cheaper than any available market fare.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! Will see if I can take him up on his offer.

I guess the key is to be flexible, and maybe book on flights where they fly frequently (in case I get bumped).
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:53 am

Specials for non-relatives are not standby, they are firm only, as such they are expensive and frankly almost unobtainable on popular routes.

Family tickets can be standby but only for near named relatives and although there has been "ways" of getting them in the past, if caught you'll end up walking home or buying a full fare.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 2:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DanielW
Thanks! Will see if I can take him up on his offer.
And better ask him these questions... he will know what kind of ticket he is giving or selling you.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW1
And better ask him these questions... he will know what kind of ticket he is giving or selling you.
Yes, will have to have another chat. From what I can gather it was an ID90 ticket he was talking about.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
Definitely the best advice - without knowing who your friend his and what his entitlement to all the different sorts (sub-load/firm, discount level etc.) of concessionary fares is (it varies amongst different grades of course), it is difficult to tell you any conditions of travel.

Regarding specials for non-relatives being firm, do bear in mind that as with all air travel, revenue or non-revenue, the load controller may have need to offload people, and whereas a firm ticket has a better chance of getting on board and will be ahead of the queue than sub-load, getting a seat is not guaranteed and you'll behind revenue pax. Hence why availability (and price!) is restricted. But this is nothing different to when a Y/J or even F pax (generally not on EK) gets offloaded due to overbooking in the normal course of operations.

On an aside, I bet some clever person in revenue management has worked out the profits made from "concessionary" travel! I bet the yields aren't dissimilar to the more saver Y fares for connecting through DXB. I mean, you've got a captive audience, whose friends and family love it that they know someone who can get them a "special" ticket to visit them, or whatever. Ensures additional incremental revenue and good word of mouth marketing, makes the staff member they know and by association the airline a bit more glamorous...people think they get a good deal but actually yields are just typical (and profitable). Just a loss of the O&D premium to DXB. No big deal!

I suppose I am quite cynical these days...
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
[Apologies if I am reviving a dead thread so mods please put this in the right place if this is not it]

A relative has worked for Emirates for a while and I have heard about the 50% off (id50?) flights. How does it work? Do I just book and enter a code? Do I earn miles?

Last edited by ckendall; Jul 7, 2016 at 7:22 pm Reason: erroneous assumption
Old Jul 8, 2016, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by ckendall

A relative has worked for Emirates for a while and I have heard about the 50% off (id50?) flights. How does it work? Do I just book and enter a code? Do I earn miles?
Its 50% of the highest published fare in the respective cabin plus taxes. Its not always so cheap actually for ID50. ID90s are better of course.

Its works by your friend/family giving you one of their quota, or adding you to their staff travel list if its not limited. They create booking via their internal staff travel booking system. There is no code, you don't earn miles, and as its a subload ticket, you aren't entitled to any customer care (hotels, meals etc) should the flight cancelled/delayed. furthermore, if there isn't a seat on the flight, you don't go.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by jbflyboy84
Its 50% of the highest published fare in the respective cabin plus taxes. Its not always so cheap actually for ID50. ID90s are better of course.

Its works by your friend/family giving you one of their quota, or adding you to their staff travel list if its not limited. They create booking via their internal staff travel booking system. There is no code, you don't earn miles, and as its a subload ticket, you aren't entitled to any customer care (hotels, meals etc) should the flight cancelled/delayed. furthermore, if there isn't a seat on the flight, you don't go.
Many thanks. I was under the impression that the ID50 got you a reservation, but if that is not the case then it is not so interesting (especially if it is not cheap).
Old Jul 9, 2016, 2:26 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ckendall
Many thanks. I was under the impression that the ID50 got you a reservation, but if that is not the case then it is not so interesting (especially if it is not cheap).
It makes almost no sense to ever use this fare. I have access to these fares through a relative working at EK and he has told me before it's not worth the hassle. We worked it out once and it was about 3% below the regular Flex fare but obviously with lowest priority etc so makes no sense.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 1:50 pm

Thanks; the employee's mother had recommended that I use this "privilege" but I can see that it's not really worth it.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Am I correct in that ID50 for family can't be used on Business class fares?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.