Community
Wiki Posts
Search

An open letter to Emirates

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ft101
There was a period of around 6 months a couple of years ago when Silvers were denied due to the Concourse C Lounge closing for refurbishment. This may have been what you experienced.
Silver members are currently bared from the b lounge due to the refurb that is going on.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by m3red
Silver members are currently bared from the b lounge due to the refurb that is going on.
Yes, the way I read the OP made me think it may be a historical issue, hence my comment. Reading it again though I was probably mistaken.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If wanting to send a letter to Emirates, perhaps just sending a letter to Emirates would do a lot better than posting it on a forum ; also writing a letter that is concise and readable might serve better if actually expecting it to be read by the airline
Hey Dave,

Totally agree - this sounds like the emotional ramblings of someone looking to break up with their SO... LOL Gimme a break. If you are going to write to the airline, keep it to the facts and keep it to one or two paragraphs!

TFD
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Downlow Traveller
Did you really think this was a letter I would send to Emirates if I wanted a serious reply? Was trying to make a point about the love/hate relationships with airlines and brands in general. Concise it definitely wasn't, but then no-one is forcing you to read it. Not readable - well that's your opinion and if others agree then it's useful critcism and I'll take it on board.
Downlow Traveller, you are lucky Dave Noble did not give you his standard "If you don't like EK, then just don't fly them" reply. Dave is one of the big apologetics of EK here.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Task Force DL
Totally agree - this sounds like the emotional ramblings of someone looking to break up with their SO... LOL Gimme a break. If you are going to write to the airline, keep it to the facts and keep it to one or two paragraphs!
Read the thread, in particular post #9.

It was never meant as a "real" complaint.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Downlow Traveller, you are lucky Dave Noble did not give you his standard "If you don't like EK, then just don't fly them" reply. Dave is one of the big apologetics of EK here.
It's more that most rants about how unreasonable EK is are just rants without any validity - if EK has acted in accordance with its terms and policies and there is a problem , then indeed the best thing to do is find an airline that better meets ones needs.

This one doesn't even get as far as being readable
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Exec Plat (2MM)
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Imagine spending a little over $1 million in business, hitting that coveted "Million Mile Flyer" and slowly going towards "2 Million Mile Flyer" when EK decides to take all your LIFETIME benefits away and downgrading the lifetime status you were promised. Now when you fly, you're just another number, even flying their premium cabins. This is exactly what happened at United two years ago.
Well there always winners and losers. As a 2 MM with UA, Continental (AKA United) were very good to me (and my wife), making us "lifetime" plats. Glad my determination to get to 2MM paid off (now sitting at 2.5MM).

As for EK, their FF program actually stinks to high heaven. Not sure why I'm still a Gold. Benefits are lousy and upgrades hard to get on the routes I fly (eg SIN-DXB). Used to be OK when you could upgrade in advance on any fare. Now only Flex which is twice the price of Saver. Also, EK miles are only useful for upgrades, as their redemption rates plus "FEES" are quite horrendous.

I have a bit of a dilemma coming up. I have a paid Saver ticket SIN-FCO-SIN on EK which I was thinking of upgrading with miles. However this may not be possible due to the nature of SIN-DXB-SIN (many rich people). I also have award UAL bookings in business class SIN-LHR-SIN. Not sure which to go with or cancel at this stage. Being a UAL PLAT with close to 1M miles in the bank, booking and cancelling tix is not a problem.

Last edited by Zol; Dec 22, 2014 at 1:00 am Reason: Personal attack
Old Dec 22, 2014, 2:09 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Budley
As for EK, their FF program actually stinks to high heaven. Not sure why I'm still a Gold. Benefits are lousy and upgrades hard to get on the routes I fly (eg SIN-DXB). Used to be OK when you could upgrade in advance on any fare. Now only Flex which is twice the price of Saver. Also, EK miles are only useful for upgrades, as their redemption rates plus "FEES" are quite horrendous.
Neither am I

One of these days, I'll go back through your posts and list every time you've stated that you won't be flying EK again. But you always seem to come back, so they must be doing something right?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 2:15 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Well there always winners and losers. As a 2 MM with UA, Continental (AKA United) were very good to me (and my wife), making us "lifetime" plats. Glad my determination to get to 2MM paid off (now sitting at 2.5MM).

I have a bit of a dilemma coming up. I have a paid Saver ticket SIN-FCO-SIN on EK which I was thinking of upgrading with miles. However this may not be possible due to the nature of SIN-DXB-SIN (many rich people). I also have award UAL bookings in business class SIN-LHR-SIN. Not sure which to go with or cancel at this stage. Being a UAL PLAT with close to 1M miles in the bank, booking and cancelling tix is not a problem.
any stats to back that up?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 2:31 am

. Benefits are lousy and upgrades hard to get on the routes I fly (eg SIN-DXB). Used to be OK when you could upgrade in advance on any fare. Now only Flex which is twice the price of Saver.
That is factually inaccurate ; all of Q, B and M saver fares can be upgraded at time of booking

Last edited by Dave Noble; Dec 22, 2014 at 4:12 am
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:35 am

Programs: Skywards
That is factually inaccurate ; both the B and M saver fares can be upgraded at time of booking and they are not twice the price of the Q / U saver fares
actually U is also a pre-upgradable saver fare.

So a SIN-FCO-SIN in U/Saver is 838USD and a W/Flex is 1181USD // same for SIN-DXB-SIN U/Saver is 765USD and W/Flex is 1032USD.

So rather 35 percent more than double the price.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by kuroko
actually U is also a pre-upgradable saver fare.

So a SIN-FCO-SIN in U/Saver is 838USD and a W/Flex is 1181USD // same for SIN-DXB-SIN U/Saver is 765USD and W/Flex is 1032USD.

So rather 35 percent more than double the price.
modified post accordingly ... what matters is extra between lowest available non saver fare to an upgradeable saver fare rather than percentage extra for flex over that in relation to the claim I would suggest
Old Dec 22, 2014, 4:35 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
One of these days, I'll go back through your posts and list every time you've stated that you won't be flying EK again. But you always seem to come back, so they must be doing something right?
Good question...
Old Dec 22, 2014, 5:23 am

Programs: Skywards
modified post accordingly ... what matters is extra between lowest available non saver fare to an upgradeable saver fare rather than percentage extra for flex over that in relation to the claim I would suggest
alright as Budley has mentioned I've looked into the fare SINFCO RT (I've just ignored all blackout and whatever restrictions)
cheapest saver: 571.00USD
cheapest saver upgradeable: 838.00 USD
cheapest flex: 1181.00 USD

I let you guys discuss the rest with him, however twice the price is correct if you take the cheapest fare vs the cheapest flex fare.

Last edited by kuroko; Dec 22, 2014 at 6:04 am
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by kuroko
alright as Budley has mentioned I've looked into the fare SINFCO RT (I've just ignored all blackout and whatever restrictions)
cheapest saver: 571.00USD
cheapest saver upgradeable: 838.00 USD
cheapest flex: 1181.00 USD

I let you guys discuss the rest with him, however twice the price is correct if you take the cheapest fare vs the cheapest flex fare.
I wouldn't disagree with that statement; his key statement was that only flex fares could be upgraded in advance and required paying double the cost which is not true. There are saver fares which can be upgraded in advance which you have shown price of

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.