Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Why does EK not allow advance emergency row seat reservations for Golds/Plats?

Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

This has been bothering me for a while. Why does EK not allow advance seat reservations of emergency row seats for Golds/Plats? It would not cost them anything to do so, and it would actually increase safety on board - assuming that frequent travellers would do a better job in an emergency situation than the average layman traveller (many of the travellers seated in those emergency row seats actually look like they are the typical rare flyer). So, last night I was cramped into an economy window seat in the middle of a fully booked cabin - only because nobody at EK can pre-assign the emergency row seats to frequent travellers. I am of course not willing to come to the airport three hours before the flight only to secure an emergency row seat.

Lufthansa has no problem opening emergency row seats for elite travellers during reservations. At Nas Air, any traveller can choose an emergency row seat during online reservations, as I noticed this morning. You just have to check a box stating that you are physically fit and willing to support the crew in case of an emergency. If not, the airline can reseat you at check-in. Fair enough.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I do not think that there is any reason to think that a gold member would be any more prepared to actually undertake emergency opening of a door than anyone else

With Emirates, someone who is prepared to get to airport early is able to nab them; seems no better or worse than any other method

As a different example, travel on Qantas and would have to pay a fair amount of cash for an exit row on a long haul flight though can be booked in advance
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
With Emirates, someone who is prepared to get to airport early is able to nab them; seems no better or worse than any other method
I disagree. The whole idea of FF programs is about not all travellers being equal. So, as long as emergency row seats are free, why not give them to your best clients?

Last edited by CalFlyer; Nov 15, 2014 at 10:07 pm
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Exec Plat (2MM)
I do fly EK quite a bit and find that even getting to the airport early does not guarantee you an exit row seat.

Observing the pax who seem to be able to snag an exit row seat, there are many people from Eastern Europe as well as the Middle East, including many slightly built females.

So I just put it down to corruption at many airports in those regions and shrug my shoulders.

Just another poor business practice of EK, and it is very annoying.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by CalFlyer
I am of course not willing to come to the airport three hours before the flight only to secure an emergency row seat.
To me that says your desire for one is not so great, so it's not really a problem.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 5:19 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
I prefer it as it is now, on a first come first served basis - I'm probably running at 9 out of 10 flights on getting an exit row, including today's flight.

To 'ensure' I get an exit row, or rather to increase my chances, I get to the airport at least 2 hours before the flight. When checking in there's often a phone call to someone so the seat can be released.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 6:04 am

Programs: KLM, UA, Emirates, Marriotts
Originally Posted by YohYohY

To 'ensure' I get an exit row, or rather to increase my chances, I get to the airport at least 2 hours before the flight. When checking in there's often a phone call to someone so the seat can be released.
Same here - seats were released on seconden flight after a call to Dubai we were 'tall and able bodied'.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 6:04 am

Not so relevant to the OPs point - although I can certainly understand where he is coming from - is that after losing many $$$ of earphones and pens etc in exit row seats, I now actively avoid them, haha! Also, I think I prefer the armrest removal in normal seats and chat up the check-in/lounge staff to find me a seat with no one next to me

About seat selection: there is a slippery slope in EKs eyes with regards to the seat selection: one of EKs selling points now is that you can choose your seat for free (and once a year travelling families enjoy this) - it's an important product differentiator for them in a the markets they compete in where not only LCCs where a good majority of their Y customers are used to flying but also network carriers charge for presenting if you aren't a FFP member. (c.f. QF, BA etc.). An argument could be made in EK management meetings that if you start to actively differentiate things for FFP members with regards to seat selection, you could start to also make charges for more seat selection and then that starts to irritate your price sensitive pax. I think it's a pretty weak argument myself and I think the reality is more a combination of EK IT can't be bothered and EK not really caring too much about giving lots of Skywards benefits. After all they must have data saying that Skywards members aren't actively not choosing to fly EK because they can't choose exit row seats, so there's no upside in changing the status quo apart from some fluffy ego stroking. Also in the case of IRROPS or dropping the ball with regards to pax, having no guaranteed seats for elite FFP members means you can use them as a kind of service recovery without actively irritating your elite FFP members who can't fall back on an "this is a published benefit, give it to me" excuse.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 6:25 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The reason is that EK need to be sure people in the exit row are able to operate the emergency exits. I seem to remember it needed a senior check in agent to open up the seat.

As for getting stuck in a window seat, why didn't you just pre-book an aisle?
Old Nov 16, 2014, 6:27 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Budley
I do fly EK quite a bit and find that even getting to the airport early does not guarantee you an exit row seat.

Observing the pax who seem to be able to snag an exit row seat, there are many people from Eastern Europe as well as the Middle East, including many slightly built females.

So I just put it down to corruption at many airports in those regions and shrug my shoulders.

Just another poor business practice of EK, and it is very annoying.
Wow, Middle Eastern people in the exit rows! Whatever next? They'll be letting Aussies in J class next. Bloody corrupt airline.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
To me that says your desire for one is not so great, so it's not really a problem.
Sorry, that is beyond the point. My desire is strong, but my desire to spend my scarce time with my family or in the office is stronger. Doesn't change the fact that I should get the emergency row seat and not some 3.5h-bwefore-departure-checking-in-infrequent-traveller.

Lufthansa and a few other airlines understand this.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The reason is that EK need to be sure people in the exit row are able to operate the emergency exits. I seem to remember it needed a senior check in agent to open up the seat.

As for getting stuck in a window seat, why didn't you just pre-book an aisle?
That does not prevent other airlines to allow the pre-reservation of emergency row seats. They just pop up a window which says you might be reseated if physically not suitable. By the way, that requirement cannot be rgarded as so crucial by many airlines if some airlines even sell emergency row seats (which implies they will not kick you out if you are a bit frail).

And I did not book an aisle seat because I reserve most of my flights only few days before the flights (or in this case same day), and no other seat was available - except for all the emergency row seats!
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by ft101
To me that says your desire for one is not so great . . . .
My desire is strong, but my desire to spend my scarce time with my family or in the office is stronger.
I think we just agreed.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sorry, that is beyond the point. My desire is strong, but my desire to spend my scarce time with my family or in the office is stronger. Doesn't change the fact that I should get the emergency row seat and not some 3.5h-bwefore-departure-checking-in-infrequent-traveller.

Lufthansa and a few other airlines understand this.
No , you shouldn't get the exit row seat since you are not prepared to get to the airport 3 hours before departure. Lufthansa understands that you should get exit rows on Emirates does it?

Different airlines have different policies; Emirates's is that it is FCFS at the airport

As mentioned , obviously you do not care enough to get an exit row seat to meet EK's approach to assigning them
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:01 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Here's a question:
- if connecting in DXB, can you get your exit row assigned at departure from the outstation or only when you get to DXB?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.