Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Why does EK not allow advance emergency row seat reservations for Golds/Plats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does EK not allow advance emergency row seat reservations for Golds/Plats?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:56 am

Programs: EY Plat, EK Plat, QR Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have noticed that exit row seats are allocated in advance for some flights out of the UK - EK30 on Fri for instance, they look allocated (not blocked) in Expertflyer.

Any idea how these are booked? always understood this had to be done at airport on day
Old Nov 19, 2014, 3:18 am

Programs: KLM, UA, Emirates, Marriotts
Originally Posted by extramileage
Here's a question:
- if connecting in DXB, can you get your exit row assigned at departure from the outstation or only when you get to DXB?
In my - albeit limited - experience, the outstation staff will call Dubai to het seats released on your connecting flight!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:08 am

Programs: EK Gold
Originally Posted by KrnGrs
In my - albeit limited - experience, the outstation staff will call Dubai to het seats released on your connecting flight!

^+1
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:41 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Here's a question:
- if connecting in DXB, can you get your exit row assigned at departure from the outstation or only when you get to DXB?
You can... but, they are generally gone before you get a chance. Somebody connecting from IAH (is that the longest?) will get first dabs.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You can... but, they are generally gone before you get a chance. Somebody connecting from IAH (is that the longest?) will get first dabs.
It's just pipped by LAX-DXB (15min!)
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Exactly - so if you're Dubai-based you're really SOL in almost all cases as 70%+ of the people on your flight are connecting from somewhere else, so showing up to the airport 3 hours ahead is pointless.

That's why "First Come First Served" is a bit unfair and puts Dubai based pax (where there is a higher concentration of gold/plat) at a disadvantage.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:16 am

Exactly - so if you're Dubai-based you're really SOL in almost all cases as 70%+ of the people on your flight are connecting from somewhere else, so showing up to the airport 3 hours ahead is pointless.

That's why "First Come First Served" is a bit unfair and puts Dubai based pax (where there is a higher concentration of gold/plat) at a disadvantage.
Just out of interest, do you have stats on the concentration of gold/plat pax in DXB? I mean, Skywards has more members than Dubai itself and I think it would be easier to gain status in Skywards if you don't live in Dubai, considering that most of the traffic is connecting?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by KrnGrs
They've always said they're unable to do this for me, and I would have to ask in DXB, except for one occasion when they (proactively) volunteered to email ahead. However, when I got to Dubai I stopped at the transit desk and no change had been made.

They still got one released for me so no harm done, but I'm surprised at the success people are reporting here.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:56 pm

Programs: EK Gold
Originally Posted by ft101
They've always said they're unable to do this for me, and I would have to ask in DXB, except for one occasion when they (proactively) volunteered to email ahead. However, when I got to Dubai I stopped at the transit desk and no change had been made.

They still got one released for me so no harm done, but I'm surprised at the success people are reporting here.
For point of reference, my experience has been flying out of BHX in J (Obviously not for emergency exits, but trying to get a blocked seat).
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:20 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Just out of interest, do you have stats on the concentration of gold/plat pax in DXB? I mean, Skywards has more members than Dubai itself and I think it would be easier to gain status in Skywards if you don't live in Dubai, considering that most of the traffic is connecting?
I don't have any stats and I hesitated for the same reasons you bring up, but I still think it's directionally correct.

Yes, there are more gold/plats outside of Dubai than in Dubai, but that's spread over the entire network. Even if 70-80% are connecting pax, that means 20-30% are starting/ending in Dubai (India/Pakistan as a whole would be larger I suppose).

Dubai is still the hub, has a huge share of Dubai residents' airline spend, gets more $/mi from the avg pax, and the white collar population tends to travel a lot for business/leisure. And since the Skywards devaluation of Saver fares, much harder to achieve status on Y connecting tickets.

In any case, my point was that "First Come First Served" doesn't really work as a system for assigning exit rows - even if you really do want to come to the airport 3 hours ahead of departure.

Last edited by extramileage; Nov 20, 2014 at 12:41 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:16 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I don't have any stats and I hesitated for the same reasons you bring up, but I still think it's directionally correct.

Yes, there are more gold/plats outside of Dubai than in Dubai, but that's spread over the entire network. Even if 70-80% are connecting pax, that means 20-30% are starting/ending in Dubai (India/Pakistan as a whole would be larger I suppose).

Dubai is still the hub, has a huge share of Dubai residents' airline spend, gets more $/mi from the avg pax, and the white collar population tends to travel a lot for business/leisure. And since the Skywards devaluation of Saver fares, much harder to achieve status on Y connecting tickets.

In any case, my point was that "First Come First Served" doesn't really work as a system for assigning exit rows - even if you really do want to come to the airport 3 hours ahead of departure.
There are tons of golds here. Most people fly a lot and are flying in premium cabins - I don't know anyone who is not silver, gold or plat!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold, / HHonours : Diamond ,
Here's a question:

I see there has been some different answers, however in my experience (my normal route is NCL transiting through DXB en route to India or Far East). I am regularly told by he staff in NCL that it is not possible for them to assign seats on my connecting flight, which is a bit of a pain. Maybe it differs per airport.... In any case as an ex rugby player at 6'4 it is a bit frustrating.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Exec Plat (2MM)
Originally Posted by dubaiblue
I have noticed that exit row seats are allocated in advance for some flights out of the UK - EK30 on Fri for instance, they look allocated (not blocked) in Expertflyer.

Any idea how these are booked? always understood this had to be done at airport on day
As I've said before, it's actually corrupt practice on behalf of the pax and agent.

How else could it happen?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am sure it can be done without any corruption

How EK chooses to allow allocation is up to it
Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:32 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
I'm Dubai based and currently I'm hitting a 90% success rate in getting an exit row seat (long May it continue).

Each time I check in the check in staff makes a phone call. I do get to the airport a minimum of 2 hours before I fly, even at out stations, sometimes hours n hours early.

Just to change my stance slightly on my earlier mail, maybe a first come first served for Plats and Gold, then release the remaining exit seats at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.