Example:
Seat of Gold Member
53A
Blocked Seat
53B
Seat of Person A
53C
Aisle

What happens if Person A on seat 53C changes with a couple.
The couple want to sit together, give A one of their seats, and the couple will move to 53B and 53C.
Are EK staff enforcing the block seat?
I mean that would highly illogical, since they would severely upset a couple, who want to sit together and have found two empty seats.
Is this on board or at check-in? If it's onboard then having an objection there would likely result in another FT member posting this gold member's behaviour on one of the DYKWIA threads

At check-in I think they would just seat the couple together and if that means there's only 53B and C available, that's where they are going to go. Seat block isn't a published benefit and there's only anecdotal and inconsistent evidence of it being an unpublished one (if it is even one at all).
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I think you've answered your own question, warakorn.

Any such 'seat blocking' has AFAIK never been part of any formal or advertised customer proposition/promise/guarantee, and EK crew would therefore never be minded to 'enforce' it - whether in the exact scenario you describe or in other, similar, circumstances.

That said, I have never been personally affected/involved, so would be interested to hear if others know different.

Ps post crossed with comments by eternaltransit
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by warakorn
Can I ask a question, please?

If the seat is blocked next to one.
Example:
Seat of Gold Member
53A
Blocked Seat
53B
Seat of Person A
53C
Aisle

What happens if Person A on seat 53C changes with a couple.
The couple want to sit together, give A one of their seats, and the couple will move to 53B and 53C.
Are EK staff enforcing the block seat?
I mean that would highly illogical, since they would severely upset a couple, who want to sit together and have found two empty seats.
I have successfully "defended" the empty seat in such a situation. Was Platinum at that time, and the FA found a different solution.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:27 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by warakorn
...Are EK staff enforcing the block seat?
Originally Posted by subject2load
Any such 'seat blocking' has AFAIK never been part of any formal or advertised customer proposition/promise/guarantee, and EK crew would therefore never be minded to 'enforce' it - whether in the exact scenario you describe or in other, similar, circumstances.
This.

I always book an aisle seat in the centre section. I use the Emirates website, CheckMyTrip and (before its recent downgrade, FlightStats) right up to the last minute to view/get/keep a row where the adjacent seat is empty. (eg I'm in D, E is empty and F/G are taken.) Except on completely full flights this has worked at boarding.

On one flight after the doors closed but before takeoff, another passenger from further back in the plane came forward and said she had seat E; her original seat was broken (or something had spilled??) and she'd been told this was the only empty seat.

On another flight F and G were occupied by a couple whose three sons (~6 to 12 yo, not teenagers, not toddlers) were a row back. We were fine through the first meal service, then I dozed off and woke up to find the mother in E, a kid in F and dad in G.

Whatever.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
This.

I always book an aisle seat in the centre section.
I have been dong this for quite some time now. The only issue I experienced was when I was in G, and another lady in D and the lady decided she wanted to sleep, and just after take-off lay down flat on DEF, leaving me for the rest of the flight trying to dodge her feet. So from now on, I make it a point to sit in F and put my bag in G and if I know the entire row is free, to keep my carry-on bag in D, and sit in F. This way I am able to keep 'squatters' away from either aisle.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by jackiedada
I have been dong this for quite some time now. The only issue I experienced was when I was in G, and another lady in D and the lady decided she wanted to sleep, and just after take-off lay down flat on DEF, leaving me for the rest of the flight trying to dodge her feet. So from now on, I make it a point to sit in F and put my bag in G and if I know the entire row is free, to keep my carry-on bag in D, and sit in F. This way I am able to keep 'squatters' away from either aisle.
That was not me. I don't stretch out unless I've got the whole row.

Seriously, that's a good tip; I'll try that the next time I can get a row with two or three empty. I guess you're putting your bag on the seat after take-off, not during boarding, right?

My approach: early in the process I book the aisle in a row where the next seat is also empty but the other two are taken, on the theory that a single middle seat is going to be least attractive choice. If the rest of the row is empty or if both middle seats are available, it seems more likely that couple or group of 3 will fill up the rest of the row. Closer to the flight, I might change to a row with more empty seats if the flight load looks low. But most of my flights are pretty full in Y so I don't like my chances of two or three empty seats in my row; in at least one case that E seat that looked empty up to the last minute ends up full.

Last GVA-DXB was absolutely packed and the guy booked in E was sitting in D when I boarded. He said he needed an aisle because he might have to get up (at least once) during the (6 hr) flight to use the loo. (Guess he thought he was the only one.) He lost the argument.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Exec Plat (2MM)
For some reason I am yet to fathom, most flights I take these days seem to be pretty full.

A few weeks ago I was on a QF A330 flight (EK code share) from SYD to BKK. Note that I am both EK and QF Gold.

I'd selected a window seat towards the back hoping that no one would jump into the aisle seat next to me. When I enquired at check-in, the seat was empty, but when I checked before boarding it was occupied. So I went up to the friendly Qantas lounge person and asked if there were any seats on the flight with an empty seat next to it. I was told that there was an aisle seat just across from my original seat with two empty seats next to it. So I just changed my seat and had a great flight to BKK. Glad I did as the person who had decided to sit next to my original seat was quite large. Why he couldn't have done what I did heaven only knows.

A few days later I was booked on a NZ flight in Y from AKL to SYD. I am lifetime Star Gold, but maybe that is irrelevant. The flight was almost full, but for some reason I had a whole row of 3 to myself. When that happens I always sit on the aisle until the doors are closed, then I move to the centre seat. Tends to deter interlopers.

FWIW, the NZ 320's beat the pants off the EK-QF codeshare 738's in Y. There is much more legroom and the seats are quite a bit wider. Doesn't really matter if the flight is not full, but otherwise it matters a great deal.

Last edited by Budley; Nov 15, 2014 at 11:45 pm
Old Nov 16, 2014, 1:11 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Gold
Gold +

Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Not exactly sure myself what this unpublished status is all about, but it looks like I have it: something like "Gold plus" or "Gold preferred" (forgot the exact phrase). I noticed it on a passenger list at the gate (the one they print with names of remaining passengers before closing the flight). It had this phrase clearly behind my name. I was not sure if it was because I am a regular at that airport and they want to remind the gate agent that I should have preference for op-ups, or if it is because of my Skywards tier miles (which have been between 100K and 150K for a while now).

No visible benefits, I guess (and hope!) it is only used for op-ups. Gold is just to easy to achieve, so I guess EK wants to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Let me ask some of my flying EK staff friends if they can resolve.
There's no such thing as Gold+. + on the manifest means there is further information about the customer that can be found in the reservation system. eg SPML/OLCI/SEQ NO/EQPT/NOBP
Old Nov 16, 2014, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Tibs94
There's no such thing as Gold+. + on the manifest means there is further information about the customer that can be found in the reservation system. eg SPML/OLCI/SEQ NO/EQPT/NOBP
Not questioning your knowledge, but it has been mentioned on here for a while about Gold Plus being as described above, so different from what you claim.

What is your source of information?
Old Nov 16, 2014, 5:24 am

Programs: United 1K , Emirates Platinum, Lufthansa Senator, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
I have successfully "defended" the empty seat in such a situation. Was Platinum at that time, and the FA found a different solution.
I have been now a Platinum since Emirates introduced Platinum two years ago but they never blocked the seat in Y next to me.. I know that Lufthansa does that for their Senators but so far I have to experianced that by Emirates.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
When I was gold I did occasionally get middle seat (I always go for window) blocked but that was on flights where there were a few (but not loads) of empty seats.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tibs94

Well, I can tell you that "Gold preferred" or "Gold plus" exists at least on the list at the gate. I have not checked the manifest, though.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:54 am

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG
Seat blocking in Y - for whom?

Makes sense that it would exist for upgrade purposes as others have mentioned. As far as seat blocking goes I think you will always get further if you are proactive in my experience. Is seat blocking automatic? I don't think so not even for io's. Will EK block it for you if the flight isn't full, yes but I think you have to ask and the nearer to travel the better. Personally I would prefer a system were it automatically blocks the seat then releases it if they sell it later but I guess they don't have that system.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by Havoc10G
Makes sense that it would exist for upgrade purposes as others have mentioned. As far as seat blocking goes I think you will always get further if you are proactive in my experience. Is seat blocking automatic? I don't think so not even for io's. Will EK block it for you if the flight isn't full, yes but I think you have to ask and the nearer to travel the better. Personally I would prefer a system were it automatically blocks the seat then releases it if they sell it later but I guess they don't have that system.
Don't they just automatically upgrade you to F (space available) if you are iO though :P
Old Nov 17, 2014, 4:18 am

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG
Seat blocking in Y - for whom?

Haha I wish! Only for landing, timing of that upgrade can be at discretion of purser. Officially though io no different than any other tier ie opup's if travel class overbooked. You are at the front of the queue though. My own experience is that you get upgraded about 50% of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.