Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paying for upgrade at check in

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Blue,VS,BA, Krisflyer, Hilton Gold , Radisson Gold , Hyatt Gold.
Paying for upgrade at check in

Flying to Dubai this Friday from Dublin in economy ( funds wont stretch to J )

I was wondering is there ever good savings when checking in to pay for an upgrade at the desk ( It certainly not full at the moment) or would it generally be very high.

I checked on line and the price to upgrade is crazy ( probably so close to the date )

thanks
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:40 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
Sometimes you get an offer via e-mail in the days before you fly. It will most likely be a saving on the current price for the sector but may not be that cheap compared to tickets bought a long time before travel. At check-in you would most likely be offered the difference in fares - not likely to be cheap. Op-ups will be depend on the load in Y but are usually offered to Skywards Plat or Gold first.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pomkiwi
Sometimes you get an offer via e-mail in the days before you fly. It will most likely be a saving on the current price for the sector but may not be that cheap compared to tickets bought a long time before travel. At check-in you would most likely be offered the difference in fares - not likely to be cheap. Op-ups will be depend on the load in Y but are usually offered to Skywards Plat or Gold first.
regretfully I am only a Skywards Blue ( still short on 8500 tier points to become silver)
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:24 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by porsche911
Flying to Dubai this Friday from Dublin in economy ( funds wont stretch to J )

I was wondering is there ever good savings when checking in to pay for an upgrade at the desk ( It certainly not full at the moment) or would it generally be very high.

I checked on line and the price to upgrade is crazy ( probably so close to the date )

thanks
Spending too much on your Porsche?

Upgrade on the day will be approx 380 GBP if they are empty in J. I've done this ex MAN once or twice when 380 was a better option than using my points.

There is no gurantee they will have this offer though but thats about how much it will be. Othertimes you get email offers and if not EK will simply offer you the fare difference which will be expensive.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m3red
Spending too much on your Porsche?

Upgrade on the day will be approx 380 GBP if they are empty in J. I've done this ex MAN once or twice when 380 was a better option than using my points.

There is no gurantee they will have this offer though but thats about how much it will be. Othertimes you get email offers and if not EK will simply offer you the fare difference which will be expensive.

Fav car but dont have one mate ( someday ).Thanks for the info - €475 isnt bad. Not sure what the loading is like but checking on line there is still availability

Will check on the day and thanks again for your input
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Best of luck porsche911 (that's sincere, not sarcastic ....!!)

All credit for coming on here with a clear willingness to stump up cash ; in contrast to the rather more common post along the lines of ...... "Hi all ..my first flight with Emirates, travelling in Y*.....hoping for a free upgrade, what do you think my chances are ...."

*and no doubt on cheapest possible ticket....!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by subject2load

All credit for coming on here with a clear willingness to stump up cash ; in contrast to the rather more common post along the lines of ...... "Hi all ..my first flight with Emirates, travelling in Y*.....hoping for a free upgrade, what do you think my chances are ...."

will I try that
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:15 am

Well I didn't actually check any of your past posts ......please don't spoil it by telling me you asked that very question .....??!!!!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:58 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=subject2load;23749714]Well I didn't actually check any of your past posts ......please don't spoil it by telling me you asked that very question .....??!!!! [/QUOTE

Id better keep quiet then
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load

That was my first post two years ago. Needless to say, I was flamed, burnt, and then reborn to be burnt to ash again. It was scary.

But hey, look at me know, I've learnt so much about miles, airlines and hotels. All it took was one thread two years ago to completely change my view about FF programs and their importance.

All I'm saying is: don't be so hard on those people. They just don't know any better. I certainly did not. And I cannot be grateful sno ugh for what I've learnt here as a result!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Fav car but dont have one mate ( someday ).Thanks for the info - €475 isnt bad. Not sure what the loading is like but checking on line there is still availability

Will check on the day and thanks again for your input
When are you going? I'll look on expert flyer.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m3red
When are you going? I'll look on expert flyer.
we fly on Friday evening at 2020 - EK164

many thanks
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:57 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

we fly on Friday evening at 2020 - EK164

many thanks
F4 A4 J7 C7 I7 O0 P0 Y9 E9 R9 W9 M9 B9 U9 K9 H0 Q9 L9 T9 V9 X9

Wide open...
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
F4 A4 J7 C7 I7 O0 P0 Y9 E9 R9 W9 M9 B9 U9 K9 H0 Q9 L9 T9 V9 X9

Wide open...
Thanks a million. Fingers crossed they will be willing to do something hair decent at check in. Should I go to the j check in to see ?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:21 pm

I'd say that's for you to decide. Personally I think it's presumptuous to go to the premium desks until/unless you're actually entitled to check in there. You can be sure that if they're keen to offer y-j cash upgrades on the day, the staff at economy desks will be well primed & armed with all necessary info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.