Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paying for upgrade at check in

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Blue,VS,BA, Krisflyer, Hilton Gold , Radisson Gold , Hyatt Gold.
Originally Posted by subject2load
I'd say that's for you to decide. Personally I think it's presumptuous to go to the premium desks until/unless you're actually entitled to check in there. You can be sure that if they're keen to offer y-j cash upgrades on the day, the staff at economy desks will be well primed & armed with all necessary info.
Yeah your 100% right ,,, thanks for the sound advise
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Best of luck, let us know how it all pans out ^
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
At man thereis an ek desk opposite the check in area which is where you have to pay for any upgrade fees or costs. I'd go to that desk if it exists first, then if you get a j seat you can then go to the j check in
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:46 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
Originally Posted by m3red
At man thereis an ek desk opposite the check in area which is where you have to pay for any upgrade fees or costs. I'd go to that desk if it exists first, then if you get a j seat you can then go to the j check in
Same with DUR - there is a small counter where you are to pay for upgrades, albeit it is a distance away from check in.

Good luck.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:44 am
Original Poster

fingers crossed
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:00 pm

Hey guys I'm new to this website and wanted to ask if does anybody know if emirates sends those upgrade emails if and only you book with them or you can book with some other website and still get them?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m3red
Spending too much on your Porsche?

Upgrade on the day will be approx 380 GBP if they are empty in J. I've done this ex MAN once or twice when 380 was a better option than using my points.

There is no gurantee they will have this offer though but thats about how much it will be. Othertimes you get email offers and if not EK will simply offer you the fare difference which will be expensive.
Just checked on line to see what the price is like to upgrade - its crazy - 1495.50 euros. Hope its a lot cheaper at check in
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:35 am

Hmm ....doesn't seem in the least bit attractive.

That would buy a night of luxury - for two people - at a Burj Al Arab suite (or any number of other high-end properties) where you could happily 'recover' post-flight from any perceived discomforts of Y class travel .....
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:42 am
Original Poster

I know its crazy and the J section is 3/4 empty by the sounds of things - It makes commercial sense to maybe try sell same at the last minute at a discount to get more income. Maybe they wont put same on their website but do a half decent upgrade cost at the desk.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:14 am

On the face of it, yes it would seem to make commercial sense.

But with emphasis on the word seem ......

There is a fine balance between getting enough people to book J class tickets at full revenue (ie well in advance of departure date); and creating an impression (and I mean in general ..... not just in relation to any one specific flight) that heavily discounted seats will be available at last minute/check-in - a scenario which would then encourage a certain proportion of pax who might normally pay full fare in J to instead book Y and then sit tight & hope for some sort of upgrade 'deal'

I'm certainly not saying that the boffins who work in the weird & wonderful world of yield management always get the mix 100% right. But there is obviously pressure on them to do so most of the time, simply because the alternative spells doom for an airline.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:34 am

Programs: EK Silver
Originally Posted by Hasnain Ahmed
Hey guys I'm new to this website and wanted to ask if does anybody know if emirates sends those upgrade emails if and only you book with them or you can book with some other website and still get them?
If you join Emirates Skywards, you'll be able to subscribe to email offers and newsletters.

As to what offers you receive largely depends on your FF status and the type of booking you've made (e.g. Gold, Y flight, LHR - DXB).
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by porsche911
Just checked on line to see what the price is like to upgrade - its crazy - 1495.50 euros. Hope its a lot cheaper at check in
It is about an 8 hour flight and I have been blessed in the past that the Y class were full in high season ( there was only one flight per day at that time) and the company paid for J class. Now there are two flights per day and plenty of seats.

Anyway I wont moan and just get on with it and enjoy the Y class

bon Voyage
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:28 pm

.................................................. .......

Anyway I wont moan and just get on with it and enjoy the Y class

bon Voyage
Good attitude porsche911 ^

Given a free choice, we all know whereabouts in the plane we would sit ; but worth remembering I guess that on most flights Y class is the 'default cabin' for around 85% or so of pax (or even 100% depending on aircraft/sector !) - all of whom manage to survive ......
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:48 pm

I know its crazy and the J section is 3/4 empty by the sounds of things - It makes commercial sense to maybe try sell same at the last minute at a discount to get more income. Maybe they wont put same on their website but do a half decent upgrade cost at the desk.
As subject2load alludes to, it would be commercial suicide to offer cheap upgrades in a predictable way, as it would destroy normal business class revenue.

AFAIK most airlines, including Emirates, only offer cheap upgrades when Economy is overbooked and Business has empty seats. They'll try to sell upgrades to some punters (often infrequent customers so as not to erode revenue) to try and make some extra revenue from the situation. They'll also open up miles upgrade availability to get frequent fliers to spend miles. If there aren't enough takers then they'll have to op-up passengers for free, usually in order of status (or, in the case of Emirates in the past, in alphabetic surname order).

So unless economy is oversold then a cheap upgrade offer is a rare beast.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Mitglied
If you join Emirates Skywards, you'll be able to subscribe to email offers and newsletters.

As to what offers you receive largely depends on your FF status and the type of booking you've made (e.g. Gold, Y flight, LHR - DXB).
I think the poster was asking if the booking method (ie direct or indirect) affects whether or not upgrade emails are sent.

Your post may be accurate but doesn't answer what was asked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.