Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Dubai to USA in Y, best destination airport/flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Platinum

Hi all,

I've been told (by my boss) that I have to be in Columbus, Ohio, USA on the 4th November. So, I'm looking to fly out on the Sunday 2nd Nov and return on Sunday 9th Nov.

My connection could be from a choice of 3 airports, New York, Boston or Chicago.

So, I was wondering if I could tap into the collective wisdom and knowledge of you guys and girls... Which would be the best for me, I will have a Flex Economy ticket:

1. The best for a chance to upgrade using my miles?
2. The best bet for an Op. Up?

Many thanks.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:50 am

Loads look pretty much wide open at the moment so I don't think you'll get an op-up on any of those routes.

Perhaps you should look at it this way:
JFK is 2xA380 and 1x777-300ER daily
BOS is a 777-300ER
ORD is a 777-200LR

Pick one that suits your connection time and US immigration formalities tolerance best, then take into account the type of seat in J. Also, as it's a US itinerary you have 24 hours to cancel at no charge. If you have a relaxed connection I would probably book one of the JFK flights, then see if I can use miles, if not, then decide whether it would be worth changing to the ORD/BOS flights for the 2-4-2 rear configs which I find superior to 3-4-3 on the A380s during the 24 hour cancellation window.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:47 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by YohYohY
Hi all,

I've been told (by my boss) that I have to be in Columbus, Ohio, USA on the 4th November. So, I'm looking to fly out on the Sunday 2nd Nov and return on Sunday 9th Nov.

My connection could be from a choice of 3 airports, New York, Boston or Chicago.

So, I was wondering if I could tap into the collective wisdom and knowledge of you guys and girls... Which would be the best for me, I will have a Flex Economy ticket:

1. The best for a chance to upgrade using my miles?
2. The best bet for an Op. Up?

Many thanks.
If you are looking for an op-up, then the best routes would be either BOS or ORD. JFK Y has been going fairly empty recently, and even if full, J & F get sold out pretty soon, so the chance of a Y-J op-up is fairly low. Both BOS and ORD have been going fairly full since I last tried the service, and if the loads are similar then you'll have a better chance for ORD as it has a smaller a/c with fewer seats in Y.

As for using your miles for an upgrade, currently there is no upgrade inventory available for any of destinations on any of the flights on your travel dates, but you may have a better chance closer to your date of departure.

As for me, the only reason I prefer starting out and ending at JFK, even though I have business at both BOS and ORD, is because:
1. The timings of EK203/204 really help me combat the effects of jet lag. I've managed to time my sleep so well on 204 that I virually have zero jet lag when I get back to BOM, even though we have a time difference of 9.5 hours (10.5 hours starting nov).
2. Y on the A380 is far more tolerable than Y on the 777. I somehow can't tolerate the claustrophobic feeling of the 777 Y cabin.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Many thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

In the end i based my flights on timings, so going via Chicago (ORD). I will see what the grade availability is nearer the time.

Again, many thanks
Y.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:20 am
Original Poster

An update.

The website wouldn't let me upgrade so I rang the Skywards number. Initially the 'Platinum' system was down and suggested I ring back in an hour or 2. I duly rang back, they said there were no seats available but they'd put me on the waitlist.

Woke this morning, checked my email, had an email confirming my upgrade - only one way unfortunately as the return in Business is full, and also it's a middle seat, still beggers can't be choosers

So, a result.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:33 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by YohYohY
Woke this morning, checked my email, had an email confirming my upgrade - only one way unfortunately as the return in Business is full, and also it's a middle seat, still beggers can't be choosers

So, a result.
All the best for an op-up to F
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:13 pm

When I used to travel to the US a lot, my preferred flight was the one with a morning arrival in the US. That was the best time to clear immigration as most airports in the US become a zoo after lunch.

Hope your upgrade clears.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.