Search

Advice on paid upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas
Advice on paid upgrades

HELP
We are half way through a long haul trip with Emirates and don't think we can face another leg in economy. Does anyone have anyone have any suggestions on the best way/most cost effective way to upgrade to business class from Milan - Dubai- Hong Kong?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Janelle1S
HELP
We are half way through a long haul trip with Emirates and don't think we can face another leg in economy. Does anyone have anyone have any suggestions on the best way/most cost effective way to upgrade to business class from Milan - Dubai- Hong Kong?
Sign up for skywards if you haven't already as sometimes email offers for upgrades are sent out at reduced cost, usually when flights are over booked in economy and quiet in business.

Or failing that which is probably unlikely for all legs you should go to manage my booking and upgrade via price not schedule. Depending on what economy ticket you have you may have a significant change fee or none at all. If you booked through a travel agent sometimes ek won't let you upgrade even for a fee (that what my parents were told once).
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
m3red is a very frequent EK flyer and has pretty much covered your question.

My only additional (and somewhat basic !) advice is that - quite apart from any 'change fees' which might apply - you should prepare yourself to be quoted a LOT more money for upgrading the remaining sectors in relation to the original cost of your tickets. Maybe even four times as much ......

(but then I would imagine you already knew this !)

Last edited by subject2load; Oct 23, 2014 at 12:17 am Reason: spelling
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:51 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
m3red is a very frequent EK flyer and has pretty much covered your question.

My only additional (and somewhat basic !) advice is that - quite apart from any 'change fees' which might apply - you should prepare yourself to be quoted a LOT more money for upgrading the remaining sectors in relation to the original cost of your tickets. Maybe even four times as much ......

(but then I would imagine you already knew this !)
Once at xmas the change fees and the fare difference was more than a return ticket in F! Sometimes the change fee is waived when you upgrade but it depends on the fare conditions.

I agree you should be prepared for a shock in the cost.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
I tend to use my miles, and upgrade either online, gate or onboard.

If you have Skywards and sufficient miles, do use this option as the paid upgrade is (as previous posters have said) prohibitive.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:05 pm

Flew back from Barcelona via Dubai back to HKG a few weeks ago. At check in at Barcelona, there was a sign at each economy counter advertising "Upgrade to Business Class to Dubai for EUR380". Not sure if this applies for ALL economy fares and I did not ask. Perhaps you may get lucky at check-in in Milan.

Be thankful you are not stuck in economy on Cathay !
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:35 am

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Can someone post the loads on the following flights?

EK60 on 30OCT
EK384 on 31OCT
EK381 on 5NOV
EK59 on 10NOV

I will fly Y

Thanks a lot
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:57 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Also check the price of a fresh ticket for the return journey . Sometimes you will be surprised to know that a new ticket might be cheaper than trying a cash upgrade .

Since you are halfway through your trip you might think of searching for a single ticket (one way) in J to get back home . Don't do this .Search for a J ticket on your way back home and return in economy (obviously you don't need to use the economy bit). Single J gets usually booked as a flex ticket while a return With J out and Y return might be a J saver out and Y saver return ( you are not planning to use the Y bit anyway). This return fare is usually cheaper than a Flex single in J .
Old Oct 26, 2014, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas
Thank you for your information. We will see what can be achieved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.