Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Tips on how to convince a lounge dragon...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
ft101 - your post (6.25am) is very, very funny, and requires me to promptly revise my previous decision re Post-of-the-Thread Award .....!!
(I have a hunch, just a hunch, that even Ahmed himself will find some amusement in it .....)
Ah - you should have quoted it on multiple threads before the wicked mods got here.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ft101
Ah - you should have quoted it on multiple threads before the wicked mods got here.
I don't see what is funny about insulting/attacking another member
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't see what is funny about insulting/attacking another member
If you read it, I hope you would have understood it was not intended to insult or attack anyone, but to lighten the tone of the thread.

It takes all sorts to make a world of course.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you read it, I hope you would have understood it was not intended to insult or attack anyone, but to lighten the tone of the thread.

I did read it and saw it exactly as being insulting and attacking - since it is gone now it is irrelevent
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:29 am

I did read it and saw it exactly as being insulting and attacking.
again

Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Originally Posted by eightblack
If we were all sitting around having a coffee, how would the conversation continue? As a series of personal attacks or as a lively debate?
My money would be on a bar room brawl....
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:18 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by eightblack
Folks, this is getting close to the line now (eg thread closure). The OP has the same right as anyone else on FT to express an opinion. What we need to be mindful of is the subsequent discussion is getting personal. Remember, focus on the topic not the individual.

If we were all sitting around having a coffee, how would the conversation continue? As a series of personal attacks or as a lively debate?
I'd have gone to the bar by now, chuckling to myself that Ahmed was actually a 52 year old bloke
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
I did read it and saw it exactly as being insulting and attacking - since it is gone now it is irrelevent
^^

I felt the same way.

It is a free world, you are not forced to read my posts/threads. Please, by all means, ignore them if you find them annoying.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:41 am

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by extramileage
One idea (long shot) - have you tried to have your parent contact EK and explicitly authorize (demand!) you to be admitted into the lounge?
How on earth would you expect this to work? The law of the country is the law of the country. This would be no different than his parents issuing an explicit authorization (or demand, as you say... sheesh...) to their chauffeur to drive 50 over the speed limit. As an authorization it would be meaningless, i.e. the chauffeur, if caught, would still be legally responsible. As a "demand", it could actually border on illegal.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by NYTA
We're also not talking about breaking any laws here - i.e. drinking etc, we're talking about getting a shower.
Wrong. The law - in many jurisdictions, not just in UAE (try Canada or US, for example) - regulates the minimum age to access certain alcohol-serving venues. Depending on the jurisdiction the law may provide provisions on being accompanied by an adult, but the point is it is about ADMITTANCE to the area where alcohol is available.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:58 am

Talking

Originally Posted by pomkiwi
My money would be on a bar room brawl....
The OP would not be in it. Laws restricting access to premisses, remember?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 2:38 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by blue2002
How on earth would you expect this to work? The law of the country is the law of the country. This would be no different than his parents issuing an explicit authorization (or demand, as you say... sheesh...) to their chauffeur to drive 50 over the speed limit. As an authorization it would be meaningless, i.e. the chauffeur, if caught, would still be legally responsible. As a "demand", it could actually border on illegal.
I think you are missing the point. I was not advocating that he/his parents encourage EK to break any laws. Some have recommended he write a letter... and my point was that a parent giving an authorization might be effective (and as I noted, "a long shot").

In any case, EK not letting someone under 18 into their airport lounge unaccompanied is not a matter of law, but rather a policy.

The legal age to enter a bar in the UAE is 21, not 18, anyway.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG

... With a valid liquor license !
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
You'd think that with all the staff and space in DXB, EK would be able to offer an alcohol-free lounge experience - something "family friendly" where they could also send all those pax trying to guest in kids!

@Ahmed, I have to say I admire your persistence in continuing to give EK your custom despite these issues. Had I been in your place I would have just found another airline that was more willing to accommodate my needs.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:11 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Thread Closure.

I thought this thread was going to fizzle out on its own, but obviously not given the most recent posts...

Folks, were now done with this thread. Nothing more to see. Time to move on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.