Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

No more Y d’Yquem 2011 in F after 10/23?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more Y d’Yquem 2011 in F after 10/23?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
Flew from SYD-CHC at the weekend and the purser told me that they had run out of Grange on the BKK-SYD sector. She seemed a bit surprised by the demand until I told her the approximate retail cost of a bottle. Her comment, 'I was thinking of buying a bottle to try as it was so popular but I don't think I'll bother now.'
It was very good.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:40 am

Sitting in the QF lounge in Sydney for 2 hours waiting for a domestic connection and feeling bored I decided to try and work out the average price of the wine in the EK F list for their Australian flights. It works out at US$110 per bottle - $180 if those wines also on the J list are excluded. It is not possible to be completely accurate as two of the wines are not commercially available but estimates were made from closest equivalent or vintage.
The figure is skewed by the Penfolds Grange at present (retails at around $500 per bottle) but even so half the wines are priced at $100 or more.
The purser on my flight today took my suggestion that some of the reds should be decanted seriously and is apparently going to suggest it as a unique EK enhancement.....
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:33 am

They must have bought the Grange 95 at an excellent price years ago if they are putting that in F now! If EK are hurting for money, they could probably liquidate some of their holdings for a good profit
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:34 pm

It is the 2005 (opened a decade or two too early). It is lovely though (particularly after an hour or two) - not sure stocks will last long enough to sell any
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:12 pm

I think I was too tired from replying to the other threads to notice my mistake there, haha!

On a side note, wasn't there an article somewhere saying that DXB had massive wine storage facilities as EK like to buy years in advance?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:46 pm

And gone again No more Grange on the Australian routes after today (according to services by flight) - either they've run through the stock or have decided to take eternaltransit's suggestion! Hoping for the much reported inaccuracy of the services by flight information as I'm travelling on Monday
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by pomkiwi
Ce n'est pas français

The nationality of the wine doesn't bother me at all (generally prefer new world wines and EK have had some stunners in the past - Torbreck RunRig and the Curly Flats pinot come to mind). I will be trying the riesling but it will have to be very special to match the Y
C'est pas is correct too. It's just the informal shorthand that's usually never written, but it's very common in spoken French. Ce n'est pas is more formal.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: EK, KL, AF, SQ
Wines ? Too refined for me. so happy they now have a decent rum in F. Ron Zacapa mmmm.

I always wonder why I get a strange look when I decline the wine list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.