Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Baggage Rules from 15-Nov

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:44 am

Hi all,

I only carry "carry-ons" and now feel frustrated as I try to keep everything small and compact so as to not take too much on my travels to Africa.

With the new EK cabin baggage rule (TWO) in Biz; I am a bit short... I thought with my "l9" softcase; 13" small bag on my shoulder; and carrying one shopping bag I'd be fine. I cannot find ANYWHERE whether I could take a "shopping bag" from the airport (which I carry my safari hat/shoes/wrap/ in as they don't fit in such small bags as well. With all the airports and all the shops I'd hope a shopping bag would not count in the TWO bags allowed - has anyone had an experience with this since Nov. and the new rules?

I hate to check one small 19" duffle; less than 15 lbs. and I am one of those who always has my luggage lost, so I switched to small carrryons; and usually can get extras in the personal "shopping bag from the airport". EK seems adamant not to allow it. No one at the call center could tell me otherwise; they just kept repeating the rule.

Shopping bag, yes or no?

Appreciate any real experiences since Nov. Thank you as always.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:23 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Try using a Dubai Duty Free bag rather than a regular shopping bag?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:05 am

Since Nov? I have had a carry-on, shoulder bag and Duty Free shopping bag (both not from DXB and from Dubai Duty Free) on 16 sectors in Y and never had to gate check a bag at DXB. In fact I have never gate checked a bag on EK - the rare times I have seen it is when it was also coupled with strict carry-on restrictions at check-in.

If you need a massive shopping plastic bag though, DXB has those at the non-concession shops. Just ask for the really big one.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 1:06 pm

Cabin Baggage

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Since Nov? I have had a carry-on, shoulder bag and Duty Free shopping bag (both not from DXB and from Dubai Duty Free) on 16 sectors in Y and never had to gate check a bag at DXB. In fact I have never gate checked a bag on EK - the rare times I have seen it is when it was also coupled with strict carry-on restrictions at check-in.

If you need a massive shopping plastic bag though, DXB has those at the non-concession shops. Just ask for the really big one.
Thank you both (don't know how to double quote here, but to mrtdxb as well; tx for great info.)

As I am traveling alone, I do not want to be burdened with bags; so I pack very light for safari (!9") and a camera backpack, small 13" -but of course need to put my hat in something and things for inflight...ipad, etc. When I add them to the 19" there is room but the weight goes OVER the 15 lbs. (like 2lbs but who knows they may weigh it!) The duty free bag sounds perfect. I have never been to DBX and chose Emirates for the first time and having info from previos pax surely helps. I hope to just hang in the lounge the first transfer (shorter) and explore the airport on return (longer layover) I could even check my bag on return but with hitting the bush immediately on arrival for safari-- the bag NEEDS to show up, so I pack light and carry-on!

Don't really need a huge shopping bag for hat/ipad/stuff, just wanted to be sure I could carry a" paper bag" on along with the 2 allowed bags. I can now sleep easier, LOL!

Thanks again!
Old Dec 20, 2014, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by mrtdxb
Try using a Dubai Duty Free bag rather than a regular shopping bag?
Well I leave from IAD so I could probably get one there, hopefully? Thats what I intend at least, but will carry a bag that looks like it is from a store in the airport; that should help I hope.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:24 pm

Any experience with new rules

Does anyone have any experience with new baggage rules? I am trying to book tickets for Feb. I have checked in bags exceeding 59 inches but under 62 inches (as per older rules). Will that pass through?

Also we used get to carry 1 personal item and 1 carry on but seems that has also changed. Do they still allow one flat laptop bag and one wheeler carry on?
Old Dec 29, 2014, 12:53 am

Any help guys with above question?
Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by pmmusale
Does anyone have any experience with new baggage rules? I am trying to book tickets for Feb. I have checked in bags exceeding 59 inches but under 62 inches (as per older rules). Will that pass through?

Also we used get to carry 1 personal item and 1 carry on but seems that has also changed. Do they still allow one flat laptop bag and one wheeler carry on?
I assume you are headed to the US. I haven't seen the check-in staff getting too strict with the bag dimensions unless it is a TV or a carton. The last time I flew ex JFK, they were still allowing 1 personal item and 1 carry on item in Y.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:33 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jackiedada
I assume you are headed to the US. I haven't seen the check-in staff getting too strict with the bag dimensions unless it is a TV or a carton. The last time I flew ex JFK, they were still allowing 1 personal item and 1 carry on item in Y.
Thanks. It would be great if more folks share their experiences from US outbound on Emirates in 2015 (assuming most travels in 2015 would've booked their travel after Nov 2014)
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by joe2
Thanks. It would be great if more folks share their experiences from US outbound on Emirates in 2015 (assuming most travels in 2015 would've booked their travel after Nov 2014)
I'll share my experience when I do a JFK return end Jan, though I didn't notice any difference in my last trip.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 4:12 am

I'll share my experience when I do a JFK return end Jan, though I didn't notice any difference in my last trip.
Thanks Jackie - Did you buy the tickets for this trip before Nov 15?
Either way like you said, please let us know what happens at the counter for you and folks around you as far as checked in bags are concerned
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:33 pm

Thanks Jackie.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 4:50 am

Hi Jackie - Can you please share your experience about baggage sizes/checks if you did go ahead with your January flight on Emirates to USA
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I took my 190cm ski bag in jan man dxb and no questions asked although I was in f.

Taking it to Zurich in March (first time ex dxb) but again in f so guessing that they won't care much!
Old Feb 9, 2015, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by m3red
I took my 190cm ski bag in jan man dxb and no questions asked although I was in f.

Taking it to Zurich in March (first time ex dxb) but again in f so guessing that they won't care much!
Thanks - but i think the 59" limitation is only for flights to and from N.America

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.