Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Experience with redeeming Skymiles for Jetstar flights

Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH

Hi all,

does anyone have experience with redeeming Emirates Skywards for Jetstar flights and if so, where can I check award availability?

thanks

Last edited by flo-e; Aug 30, 2014 at 3:21 am
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you have ( or set up ) a Qantas FF account you will be able to find JQ availability as is available to QF members holding no status
Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:57 am

A bit puzzled here. Skymiles are delta miles right?!

If the op meant Skywards miles then I'd caution them against burning their miles on JQ because the taxes will be quite shocking. Might as well pay for the fare outright.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH
Originally Posted by edy4eva
A bit puzzled here. Skymiles are delta miles right?!

If the op meant Skywards miles then I'd caution them against burning their miles on JQ because the taxes will be quite shocking. Might as well pay for the fare outright.
Sorry, that was a typo. I of course meant EK Skywards... not many programs with fancy names. Mods please change the title accordingly, thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:15 pm

Seems there's not much information around online for booking Jetstar flight using Emirates miles and how the process works. I have today successfully booked a flight from MEL -> AYQ using miles (and paying the taxes). It was a painless if a little slow and manual process.

While I realise this is not usually a good use of miles it works for my personal situation, I probably could have got better value for my miles by using them for upgrades but I decided to go with this reward option.

To book the flight I:

1) Checked how many points would likely be required using this chart

2) I then filled in the Web Form found by clicking the "Spend Miles" button on the same page, giving:

- Names of passengers
- Departure and Arrival airports
- Flight Number (if known - which I did as i checked schedules on the Jetstar's website)
- Times of flights

This is not an automatic form but it is forwarded to an Emirates Customer Service agent to manually look in to

3) About 3 hours later I received an email saying an award was available, for 10,225 points and AED150 per person and giving me a Booking Code. Note - they gave me the taxes in AED not AUD as I was expecting, this made it look very poor value as the first time I looked I misread AED and AUD!

4) You cannot actually confirm and pay the taxes online, I had to call my local (UK) Emirate customer service number. By giving the agent the Booking Reference he could see all the details.

5) I'm not sure why, but the actual call took about 15 minutes. The agent had to manually re-enter everything and double check with me (Even though he could see the details already) and said he had to manually calculate the taxes. Not sure why this was necessary as the calculated taxes were exactly what was in the email - but I was at least charged in my local currency (GBP). Also the agent seemed as frustrated as me with the need to re-enter everything, I'm guessing it was a different sytem with no process for transferring the details.

6) As soon as I paid the taxes on my credit card via the phone an email arrived with my tickets and itineary and the points left my Skywards accounts.

All in all it was a painless but long process, but I did manage to spend just over 20,000 to save over 170 on the cost of booking the flights directly with Jetstar when you take into account the flights come with 30kg of baggage which is pay extra on Jetstar normally.

I can also view the flights on Jetstar's website (the email from Emirates gives both a Emirates and a Jetstar reference code) but worryingly "no baggage" is stated. Both the e-ticket and the Emirates agents assure me 30KG is included. The same issue exists with a QANTAS reward booking I did through Emirare.com so I guess we'll wait and see!

Hopefully this will be useful to someone in the future.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by pryonic
Seems there's not much information around online for booking Jetstar flight using Emirates miles and how the process works. I have today successfully booked a flight from MEL -> AYQ using miles (and paying the taxes). It was a painless if a little slow and manual process.

While I realise this is not usually a good use of miles it works for my personal situation, I probably could have got better value for my miles by using them for upgrades but I decided to go with this reward option.

To book the flight I:

1) Checked how many points would likely be required using this chart

2) I then filled in the Web Form found by clicking the "Spend Miles" button on the same page, giving:

- Names of passengers
- Departure and Arrival airports
- Flight Number (if known - which I did as i checked schedules on the Jetstar's website)
- Times of flights

This is not an automatic form but it is forwarded to an Emirates Customer Service agent to manually look in to

3) About 3 hours later I received an email saying an award was available, for 10,225 points and AED150 per person and giving me a Booking Code. Note - they gave me the taxes in AED not AUD as I was expecting, this made it look very poor value as the first time I looked I misread AED and AUD!

4) You cannot actually confirm and pay the taxes online, I had to call my local (UK) Emirate customer service number. By giving the agent the Booking Reference he could see all the details.

5) I'm not sure why, but the actual call took about 15 minutes. The agent had to manually re-enter everything and double check with me (Even though he could see the details already) and said he had to manually calculate the taxes. Not sure why this was necessary as the calculated taxes were exactly what was in the email - but I was at least charged in my local currency (GBP). Also the agent seemed as frustrated as me with the need to re-enter everything, I'm guessing it was a different sytem with no process for transferring the details.

6) As soon as I paid the taxes on my credit card via the phone an email arrived with my tickets and itineary and the points left my Skywards accounts.

All in all it was a painless but long process, but I did manage to spend just over 20,000 to save over 170 on the cost of booking the flights directly with Jetstar when you take into account the flights come with 30kg of baggage which is pay extra on Jetstar normally.

I can also view the flights on Jetstar's website (the email from Emirates gives both a Emirates and a Jetstar reference code) but worryingly "no baggage" is stated. Both the e-ticket and the Emirates agents assure me 30KG is included. The same issue exists with a QANTAS reward booking I did through Emirare.com so I guess we'll wait and see!

Hopefully this will be useful to someone in the future.
Thanks mate. Just a quick check. Can you share if you paid any YQ (Fuel Surcharge) for the ticket? I have access to Emirates and I would like to book a JQ flight, but I'm wondering if any YQ has to be paid.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:31 am

Pretty sure I didn't pay any Fuel Surcharge unless they were rolled up into the "Fees, Taxes and Charges" section - all that was mentioned was airport taxes.

These FTC were a total of 25GBP which isn't bad value at all
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:18 pm

Pretty sure I didn't pay any Fuel Surcharge unless they were rolled up into the "Fees, Taxes and Charges" section - all that was mentioned was airport taxes.

These FTC were a total of 25GBP which isn't bad value at all
Thanks. That's 25quids on top of AED$150 right? Sound like just pure airport tax to me. Thanks mate!
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:01 am

No, no. The AED 150 was the 25.

The only monetary amount that left my credit card was the AED 150
Old Feb 22, 2015, 4:05 am

No, no. The AED 150 was the 25.

The only monetary amount that left my credit card was the AED 150
Whao, that's amazing! Thanks again!
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Plat
Are all Jetstar Japan flights redeemable with Skywards? Emirates has no clue that the new KIX-HKG route exists since they can't even tell me how many miles I'll need for the redemption.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by arthursiew
Are all Jetstar Japan flights redeemable with Skywards?
From the website:
Redemption tickets can be booked and issued on all Jetstar and Jetstar operated flights (designator code JQ, 3K, VF and GK)
http://www.emirates.com/english/skyw...s/jetstar.aspx

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.