Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extra fees for onboard upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Course there is the expectation

You do not donate the miles and then request an upgrade which you may or may not get

The miles are only used once the upgrade has been agreed upon at which point the upgrade is confirmed. No different to upgrades in advance
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:22 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by jackiedada
Exactly. The only two ways you can travel in F on a Y fare are these:
1. You upgrade to J using miles before and then try an on-board upgrade to F using miles.
2. You get a complementary op-up to J and then try an on-board upgrade to F using miles.

Based on my (very limited) conversations with EK pursers, I don't think this is possible *now* (and I'd love to be proven wrong) as pursers can only upgrade you 1 class higher - it is not based on the Purser's discretion anymore. The only thing he may overlook as points 1 & 2 above, and allow you the upgrade even though you've either upgraded with miles already or got the comp op-up.

It would be interesting to hear someone's experience who has successfully managed to upgrade 2 classes on board recently. If yes, that's where I might burn up all my miles.
I'll let you know what happens on the 15th.

I can't spend my miles either!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:14 pm

Exactly. The only two ways you can travel in F on a Y fare are these:
1. You upgrade to J using miles before and then try an on-board upgrade to F using miles.
2. You get a complementary op-up to J and then try an on-board upgrade to F using miles.

Based on my (very limited) conversations with EK pursers, I don't think this is possible *now* (and I'd love to be proven wrong) as pursers can only upgrade you 1 class higher - it is not based on the Purser's discretion anymore. The only thing he may overlook as points 1 & 2 above, and allow you the upgrade even though you've either upgraded with miles already or got the comp op-up.

It would be interesting to hear someone's experience who has successfully managed to upgrade 2 classes on board recently. If yes, that's where I might burn up all my miles.
I managed a y to f yesterday, the purser was great but after she told me that she isn't supposed to do it anymore.

I think you'd need a little luck to do it but defo worth a try as it doesn't seem clear on the system.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by m3red
I managed a y to f yesterday, the purser was great but after she told me that she isn't supposed to do it anymore.

I think you'd need a little luck to do it but defo worth a try as it doesn't seem clear on the system.
Wow, that's great! Good Show^ Will definitely try and give it a shot on my next flight.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:35 am

Wow, that's great! Good Show^ Will definitely try and give it a shot on my next flight.
ended up with a J car as she said only 25k had gone - got home and 50k went.

I'm going to say it really is hit and miss - I think if she'd known at the start she would not have done it (she thought she could but later read the manual and said it wasn't allowed). One issue was the meals as 2 last min bookings came from no-where but got my choices. It was put through as an exception.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: SkyTeam Plat, Bonvoy Plat
But on their onboard video, about Emirates Skywards, you can see a nice lady sitting on an economy seat, which becomes a First class suite and it is said "you can upgrade with your miles".
But you can't from Y to F.

So, do they lie on the video ?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Greglem
But on their onboard video, about Emirates Skywards, you can see a nice lady sitting on an economy seat, which becomes a First class suite and it is said "you can upgrade with your miles".
But you can't from Y to F.

So, do they lie on the video ?
No they don't

You can upgrade with your miles - they don't state that you can upgrade from economy to 1st ( which I think you can do if only those 2 cabins exist )

as far as animation goes, it shows a seat turning into a sun lounger and I dont think that anyone expects that to happen in real life
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
No they don't

You can upgrade with your miles - they don't state that you can upgrade from economy to 1st ( which I think you can do if only those 2 cabins exist )

as far as animation goes, it shows a seat turning into a sun lounger and I dont think that anyone expects that to happen in real life
Thats what the purser told me. Only when its a 2 class Y and F can you do the "double" except if you get lucky on board like me yesterday!

And I might claim the APD back that I paid for the D class seat I never got!
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
True. But before it turns into a sun lounger, it turns from an economy seat to a 1st class suite.
So it gives the impression that you can upgrade from Y to F with your miles, which is not true.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:07 am

True. But before it turns into a sun lounger, it turns from an economy seat to a 1st class suite.
So it gives the impression that you can upgrade from Y to F with your miles, which is not true.
Well it is as I did it yesterday
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:05 pm

You can upgrade from economy to 1st if the only 2 cabins are economy and 1st

If you were to believe the animation as detailing exactly what can be done, then you would be expecting the seat to morph from an economy seat to a 1st class one and then to morph into a sunlounger
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:29 am

No, don't worry. I am not expecting to move from an eco seat in a plane directly to a sunlounger on a beach...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.