Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Why no airline has been able to copy EK's ICE entertainment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Question Why no airline has been able to copy EK's ICE entertainment?

Hi,
As everyone knows, EK's ICE entertainment is the best in the world. I, for one, will travel EK only for the ICE, irrespective of seat pitch,food etc. Those 15 hr journeys are a breeze courtesy ICE.

I have often wondered why no other world airlines have copied EK's ICE. I mean, the variety and choices on ICE are unbeatable. I thought maybe another Middle East airline like Qatar or Etihad or maybe Singapore would try to get a better system or atleast a comparable one to ICE.

Yes, Qatar/Etihad/Sing entertainment options are pretty decent- but no way near EK's ICE. So, why have other airlines not been able to do this ? Is it the cost or does it not matter a lot to the paying public ?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:37 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by deltheking
Hi,
As everyone knows, EK's ICE entertainment is the best in the world. I, for one, will travel EK only for the ICE, irrespective of seat pitch,food etc. Those 15 hr journeys are a breeze courtesy ICE.

I have often wondered why no other world airlines have copied EK's ICE. I mean, the variety and choices on ICE are unbeatable. I thought maybe another Middle East airline like Qatar or Etihad or maybe Singapore would try to get a better system or atleast a comparable one to ICE.

Yes, Qatar/Etihad/Sing entertainment options are pretty decent- but no way near EK's ICE. So, why have other airlines not been able to do this ? Is it the cost or does it not matter a lot to the paying public ?
I think it probably does come down to cost. Licensing/royalties or whatever fees they pay the media companies for the content on ICE wouldnt be cheap.

I remember an interview with Tim Clark where they spoke about ICE and his comment was something like "we will continue to outspend the competition on IFE" and that EK wants to lead in this space no matter the cost. I think its personally become a big differentiator for the airline.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, Delta Gold, Bonvoy Plat
For sure ICE is good, but there is a lot of censorship in the movies...
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG

Some editing as with all airlines. I was surprised to see Derek and Clive on the radio section, however!
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
It's less and less a differentiating factor as folks carry tablets etc now. On board power and wifi is more the key now for many of us when it comes to long trips. IFE is just not the deciding factor for most travelers. Nice bonus but not why most choose airline A or B.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by deltheking
I, for one, will travel EK only for the ICE
Good luck if you wind up on 332/343 equipment without ICE then. IFE on those aircraft is a joke.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 3:22 pm

Because most passengers use their laptop or tablet for entertainment, especially in coach. And almost all modern planes have an outlet for every seat so you don't have to worry about running out of juice.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:03 am

Programs: Virgin atlantic,Emirates skywards
virgin Atlantic has a similar system on some of there aircraft
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Good luck if you wind up on 332/343 equipment without ICE then. IFE on those aircraft is a joke.
As I found out on my DXB-TRV flights recently.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by grahampros
It's less and less a differentiating factor as folks carry tablets etc now. On board power and wifi is more the key now for many of us when it comes to long trips. IFE is just not the deciding factor for most travelers. Nice bonus but not why most choose airline A or B.
Agree, its not so much of a differentiating factor now as compared to some years ago, but it adds to the overall EK experience especially given the wide selection of choices that is available even for Y pax...
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:18 pm

Can't remember the last time I used it. Much prefer my ipad.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 2:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I don't see it as much of a differentiating factor. Obviously it's good to have a reasonable selection of entertainment on offer, but I very much doubt that many FT's choose an airline based on ICE alone. For me, the overall service standards & general comfort are much more important, and in particular I have always felt that it's the quality of crew who ultimately determine the passenger 'experience' - in whatever class - rather than any technology, facilities etc etc.

I myself seem to find all manner of things to do on board, whether listening to (my own) music, reading, sleeping, or chatting to crew (plus, if it's the A380, making use of the bar.....)
Old Jul 30, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
In the belly of the aircraft they have a little man running around loading tapes and due to weight, they can only carry so many tapes. Oh wait, I'm thinking of 10 years ago when they used to walk around offering movies and you'd be angry if your neighbor picked the movie you wanted to watch :P
Old Jul 30, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
I really don't understand why you would want to use a tablet instead of the IFE? Would you really find it hard not to find something to watch amongst all that entertainment available?

I'm looking forward to seeing what all the fuss about ICE is about on my upcoming flights (A380 and 777 with the older ICE) so I'm not going to load any entertainment on my tablet. I did that ages ago, downloading gigabytes before my UK-OZ flight and ended up quiet happy with Qantas' selection.

I can understand if you wanted to watch a box set or something, but I'd rather carry less on the plane with me if I know that there was a decent selection. I can understand it if you are on a aircraft that doesn't have a good set up, or the horrid ones that have the 2 hour loop and you get stuck having to wait for them to rewind it all so you can watch something else!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
I always have my laptop and iPad with me but very rarely watch movies on those when travelling with Emirates.

Travelling on Emirates means I get to watch most of the latest movies with little distraction - I live in Dubai, going to the cinema there is a nightmare, people constantly talking, on the phone or texting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.