Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Why no airline has been able to copy EK's ICE entertainment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:33 pm

1) the picture quality on the iPad screen is better than most aircraft screens.
2) I can watch what I want. Either on bbc I player or through what I have downloaded.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:24 am

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG

Well not sure I agree about picture or convenience. Big screen in J and F and a380 Y not bad either. Much easier than propping up an IPAD esp when eating. Of course choices are different but agree with earlier poster about catching a movie which is a pain in Dubai as everyone uses it as a social occasion!
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:21 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by eightblack
I think it probably does come down to cost. Licensing/royalties or whatever fees they pay the media companies for the content on ICE wouldnt be cheap. I remember an interview with Tim Clark where they spoke about ICE and his comment was something like "we will continue to outspend the competition on IFE" and that EK wants to lead in this space no matter the cost. I think its personally become a big differentiator for the airline.
I think this is correct. The royalties paid must be very high.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
EK's movies and musics which are extremely updated, is one of the less spoken perks of the airline. It even beats SQ which I have always believe to have the best.

But honestly I don't think many airlines will spend this kind of money, and if they did the ticket prices will probably go up 20%.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I think cost would certainly the main issue. I see a lot of surveys comparing Singapore's IFE to EK's but frankly EK's IFE is streets ahead of any airline in the world. No airline comes anywhere close to the options that EK has for it's IFE.

Also, it's a fair observation that airlines now have wifi and you can load up your Ipad/tablet before flying. But in my experience - wifi is the most most unreliable option. What if wifi doesnt work - happens very often. Plus airlines may change the aircraft type at any time - I have no recourse then : I would certainly rely on EK's IFE to keep me entertained !!

Loading up on the ipad eliminates the need for IFE / wifi - absolutely. Again here - some airlines have no seat power outlets - or may have limited seats with it. Plus - atleast for me - need a lot to load up for a 16 hr flight.

Good IFE for me makes me forget everything [including EK's tight and cramped seats with very little legroom ]and helps to kill time amazingly well. To pay for the IFE - I guess EK needs to make it up by cramming it with more seats with less legroom !
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Interesting article on IFE:

I asked whether this money might be better spent on reducing ticket prices -- the answer from all airlines I approached was unequivocal: "No."

We all value our Tom Hanks blockbusters and repeat showings of "The Big Bang Theory" way too much, apparently.

"On long-haul flights especially, people are sitting for upward of 10 hours. The right movies can certainly help that time go a bit faster," says Michael Freedman, inflight entertainment executive producer for Qantas, echoing the views of all the airlines I spoke with.

Big carriers often pay far more for the same movie than smaller carriers.

Cathay Pacific paid $37,500 for a license to show one 2012 movie over a period of two months.

Etihad paid $30,000 for the same movie.

Singapore Airlines paid $20,000.

China Eastern Airlines paid just $1,000.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: EK GOLD, EY GOLD, AZ GOLD, QR SILVER, SPG PLAT
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Good luck if you wind up on 332/343 equipment without ICE then. IFE on those aircraft is a joke.
Ahh, I remember back in 1999 it was state of the art entertainement, specially the little video if F/J

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.