Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

New Dubai connect rule - latest onward flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Dubai connect rule - latest onward flight?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Jaglav
I'm booked in First on Emirates (Skywards Flex Reward) on the following flights:

12 Oct EK729 Entebbe to Dubai arriving 22:30
13 Oct EK215 Dubai to Los Angeles departing 08:55

From reading it appears that this itinerary should qualify for Dubai Connect however on the manage my booking page no option for Dubai Connect exists.

My outbound flight to Entebbe is on a paid First ticket as follows:

21 Sep EK030 London to Dubai arriving 02:50
22 Sep EK730 Dubai to Entebbe departing 09:20

I am able to utilize Dubai Connect through manage my booking on this itinerary (>6 hour layover) however was just planning to stay in the lounge due to the relatively short layover.

The return I was planning on utilizing Dubai Connect as the layover is long enough for a hotel to make sense to me but as mentioned, no option to book Dubai Connect exists on manage my booking.

Could anyone clarify why the return is not eligible for Dubai Connect.

Thanks in advance for any information.
Although you've got your flight numbers mixed up (729 & 730), Emirates have got Dubai Connect even more mixed up.

LHR - EBB should never qualify given the latest rules. You have deliberately left LHR on an earlier flight to increase the transit time. This should disqualify you immediately.

EBB - LAX should always qualify if down to the timing, and I can't see any other rules which preclude you. A phone call might prove worthwhile here.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 5:47 pm

Thanks for the reply ft101.

As you mentioned I had the flight numbers reversed.

The purpose of the extra layover in Dubai was not to get Dubai Connect as I was planning on spending the time in the lounge rather than a hotel due to the relatively short layover. The driving force behind taking an earlier flight from London to Dubai was the need to give my checked luggage the best opportunity to connect to my Entebbe flight (There are I believe three flights after the one I take from London to Dubai in case anything goes wrong but only one flight a day from Dubai to Entebbe).

I'll certainly heed your advice and make a call regarding the Entebbe - Dubai- Los Angeles leg and the lack of Dubai Connect.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Jason
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:19 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by extramileage

Dubai Connect was originally created to entice pax to deal with no other option than a long layover and with the increasing amount of frequencies and can see how they are tightening the T&C's. Dubai is also a lot more appealing as a layover destination nowadays too.
).
That's EXACTLY why it was created. It's been around at least 17 years & was a great tool for Emirates (who was not a household name back then) to entice people to take their flights. I used it a few times back in 1997, 1998 before moving to Dubai & it was handled well every time. But it's not something that's necessary any longer in most cases. Just cuz some of us WANT a free day in Dubai does not mean we should get it. What other airlines do this?? Pretty much none (except JL/NH occasionally in NRT for long haul F passengers with over 7 hours transit (and who wants a free day in Narita anyway)
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:37 pm

Newbie here

Booked a flight from EK site and seeing the Dubai Connect tab. i wanted to spend night in dubai so selected the a later flight. i dont know if the earliest flights are booked or not..

So if i see the Dubai Connect tab, i am good ? or wont know until i go to the check in ?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Mayoo
So if i see the Dubai Connect tab, i am good ? or wont know until i go to the check in ?
If you see the Dubai Connect option, you should be good. Just click and confirm
your booking for Dubai Connect - it should show Dubai Connect booked or something similar to that. At check-in they will give you vouchers that you'll need to use the hotel.

Confirm with the call center to be doubly sure.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Mayoo
i wanted to spend night in dubai so selected the a later flight. i dont know if the earliest flights are booked or not.

This bit seems unusual as if there is an earlier flight available Dubai Connect should not be offered.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
This bit seems unusual as if there is an earlier flight available Dubai Connect should not be offered.
With the new rules, I think the only thing that is consistent with Dubai Connect is that it is inconsistent.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:50 am

Called Emirates as suggested by ft101 regarding my Entebbe - Dubai - Los Angeles booking and there was no problem adding Dubai Connect.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaglav
Called Emirates as suggested by ft101 regarding my Entebbe - Dubai - Los Angeles booking and there was no problem adding Dubai Connect.
And what about your LHR-DBX-EBB - does that still qualify for Dubai Connect?
Old Aug 16, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: Skywards, Miles&More
When do you see if the system gives you Dubai connect? We're looking for this:

EK0136 VCE-DXB connection time 12h 35 min
EX0378 DXB-HKT

There is only one flight from Venice and also just one flight to Phuket. I went through all booking until payment and there was no option for Dubai connect.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by TM78
When do you see if the system gives you Dubai connect? We're looking for this:

EK0136 VCE-DXB connection time 12h 35 min
EX0378 DXB-HKT

There is only one flight from Venice and also just one flight to Phuket. I went through all booking until payment and there was no option for Dubai connect.
It should be obvious during the booking process. If you don't see it there may be a couple of reasons:

1) You qualify and the system just isn't displaying it.
2) You don't qualify as you've failed to meet one of the other conditions eg fare paid.

You'll need to give them a call to find out which.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by jackiedada
And what about your LHR-DBX-EBB - does that still qualify for Dubai Connect?
It shows up on manage my booking so apparently it does although I'm just planning on spending the time in the lounge as the value of a hotel for a six hour layover once you've allowed for getting there and then getting back for the onward flight means maybe a couple of hours sleep at best.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: Qatar Gold, Etihad Silver
I have a Dubai connect option arr 23.59 depart 07.25. With immigration, check in times etc. is it worth it or should I just stay in the Business lounge? Never used it before but thinking its probably not worth it for 7.5 hrs.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sheffield16
I have a Dubai connect option arr 23.59 depart 07.25. With immigration, check in times etc. is it worth it or should I just stay in the Business lounge? Never used it before but thinking its probably not worth it for 7.5 hrs.
I've passed through immigration around midnight for Dubai Connect once and by the time I reached the hotel and got a room, it was around 1:30 am. I doubt think you can shave off much, and the earliest you can hope to arrive is between 1 to 1:30 am. The pickup for your onward flight will be at 5:25 am. So you'll only get about 4 hours in the room. If you are a good sleeper, and probably around 3 to 3.5 hours of sleep. Not worth it is what I would think.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 12:16 pm

Keep in mind that Dubai Connect eligibility rules are different for different nationalities.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...onalities.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.