Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chauffeur Drive FAQs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: LH SEN
Question on ex-FRA chauffeur service: Any way to have the car pick me up less than 3h before departure? I was unable to choose anything less than 3h online.
I live ~15min from FRA, I am booked in J, looking to arrive at airport no more than 1h before departure....
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:13 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by FS_FRA
Question on ex-FRA chauffeur service: Any way to have the car pick me up less than 3h before departure? I was unable to choose anything less than 3h online.
I live ~15min from FRA, I am booked in J, looking to arrive at airport no more than 1h before departure....
Call the local EK office and have them amend the PU time
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: LH SEN
Thanks!
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
What's the rule-of-thumb here on tipping? Will be taking chauffeur service in the US as well as Dubai.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sfoactuary
What's the rule-of-thumb here on tipping? Will be taking chauffeur service in the US as well as Dubai.
The few times I had taken it in NYC several years ago, I tipped around $10 or so. Usually rent a car nowadays from JFK.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
I'm on a J award ticket home with a DXB stopover on the way back from WAW. In looking at the reservation form on my record, I see that they require a phone number. Im staying at a hotel in Warsaw, so will use that number. However, in Dubai, I plan to use an Air BnB private apartment and won't have a phone, any suggestions short of getting my US phone unlocked and getting a UAE sim card before leaving?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by 98103
I'm on a J award ticket home with a DXB stopover on the way back from WAW. In looking at the reservation form on my record, I see that they require a phone number. Im staying at a hotel in Warsaw, so will use that number. However, in Dubai, I plan to use an Air BnB private apartment and won't have a phone, any suggestions short of getting my US phone unlocked and getting a UAE sim card before leaving?
The phone number is more like a 'place holder', rarely ever used except for informing if the flight is delayed/ cancelled (we were informed at CDG). You can give the phone of a friend/ relation who can intimate you of any contingencies.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: MVPG75k-Boardroom, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EK788
Based off of my experiences, you do get a phone call 24 hours prior to pickup. They pick you up in a standard East Coast "black cab" which could be anything from a Lincoln Town Car to a GMC Yukon.

I'd say a 6.30pm pick up time is enough time, since depending on the day you might hit traffic on the GW Bridge and again on the Van Wyck Highway.
Cant remember the name of the company they use there, Boston Coach maybe, but I just got picked up in a Cadillac. The driver told me they don't use Town Cars anymore because the passengers didn't like them.

He picked us up from a hotel right next to EWR at 7:15 am and we were at JFK by 8:15
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:33 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
'Qantas say no'

I have a trip coming up shortly:

LHR-CHC-BNE-LHR. All in EK F apart from CHC-BNE which is EK F to SYD and 2 hours later QF J to BNE. Did this itinerary in Feb and had chauffeur drive on arrival in BNE. Had a confirmed booking for CD on arrival in BNE this time but had to cancel and rebook as my hotel changed. Now had a phone call to say QF say I can't have CD as I'm coming off a domestic flight. MMB still shows I have a car booked but when opening the CD section that reservation has NO in the confirmed section.

(I would have preferred the CHC-AKL-BNE routing but the website won't book this as it struggles with the Jetstar NZ leg).

I have e-mailed EK with no joy as they have repeated that 'QF says no'.
Do the team feel that I am entitled to the car or is MMB wrong and I just hit lucky last time?

Last edited by pomkiwi; Oct 1, 2014 at 2:40 pm
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Tricky one, and I can see both sides to be honest.

On the one hand : this is hardly a cheap routing in F, with more than enough margin in it for EK to authorise the car, and of course still come out with a healthy profit - rather than stubbornly stand their ground.

But ......they will also be keen to apply the rule strictly and not create a precedent by allowing cars to be booked at either end (or, in your specific case, on arrival) of what is in truth a domestic-only sector, even if part of what is clearly a 'continuous' international booking. In fairness to both QF and EK, that was never the aim of the CD programme, and it has never been portrayed as such. Plus, it's worth remembering that EK don't provide CD at many points around the network where they don't consider it commercially viable/necessary.

In short, if this were me I think it would niggle somewhat ; but on balance I don't see it as something worth fighting over, and I would be inclined to let it go and cough up for a taxi.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
You are correct of course and I won't be fighting - the inconsistency is a bit annoying and the fact that MMB shows a car booked a little irritating
When they phoned back tonight to confirm the 'no' I asked about the CHC-AKL-BNE routing and they quoted Ł1100 to change - the taxi looks a bargain

Booking has now gone but MMB is still telling me I'm eligible to book a car. Might just do so a few days before I travel.......
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Chauffeur Drive to LAX

Will try CD for the first time next month, will the limo company call 1 day prior to confirm the booking? What happens if the driver fails to show up at arranged pickup time? TIA.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: QF QP
Originally Posted by rdchen
Will try CD for the first time next month, will the limo company call 1 day prior to confirm the booking? What happens if the driver fails to show up at arranged pickup time? TIA.
In my experience they will call 1 day prior. At that time ask them for a contact number "in case something goes wrong"
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Airvan00
In my experience they will call 1 day prior. At that time ask them for a contact number "in case something goes wrong"
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:13 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by rdchen
They don't call the day before at Dubai. When I land at Dubai and go to chauffeur Desk to get an EK car to the hotel , I confirm my return pick up as well.( Even though I have already done the booking for the car online at least 48 hrs before)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.