Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates fuel surcharge on award tickets.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2014, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

any way to get around it to not pay fuel surcharge?

There is a $700 US dollar fuel charge after paying 117500 miles for a business class seat from LAX to Mumbai.

With the outrageous fuel surcharge, miles are basically worth very little especially if you're redeeming for economy class seat.
Old May 12, 2014, 9:35 pm

Buy economy and use miles to upgrade.
Old May 12, 2014, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
Buy economy and use miles to upgrade.
Economy upgrade to business isn't available from LAX to DXB.
Old May 12, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
????. I assume you mean that seats are not available on the days you want to travel . If you want to be sure that you get to travel J , you should book Y tickets on flights where there is availability for upgrading. Otherwise you have to keep checking and hope that they release more seats for upgrades.

I am also not sure what you mean by saying that there is no Economy upgrade available but at the same time you are complaining of the high fuel surcharge on reward tickets.

Both the business rewards and upgrades from Y to J come from the same pool of seats (D) and therefore there should be Y to J upgrades available on any flight that has a business saver reward availability.

Last edited by ukdoctor; May 12, 2014 at 11:50 pm
Old May 12, 2014, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
????.
I already checked with Emirates.

There is no upgrade available if you buy economy ticket and use miles to upgrade from economy to business class on the flight from LAX to DXB.
Old May 13, 2014, 12:03 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
I already checked with Emirates.

There is no upgrade available if you buy economy ticket and use miles to upgrade from economy to business class on the flight from LAX to DXB.
Possibly as there is only one flight a day AFAIK. Did you find any business saver reward availability though?( that was the topic of this thread that you started).
Old May 13, 2014, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
Possibly as there is only one flight a day AFAIK. Did you find any business saver reward availability though?( that was the topic of this thread that you started).
Yes. She said flex award is available at 117500 miles plus $725 tax and fees, including fuel surcharge.... if she didn't mention saver award, then I guess only flex award is available, right?

$725 fee on a business award ticket is expensive, even more expensive than British Airways' London airport taxes!
Old May 13, 2014, 2:51 am

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG

I think BA also charge a fuel surcharge. BA 'led' the way in bolting on additional charges on tickets and I think they still have it although hate flown BA intercon for a while now.
Old May 13, 2014, 2:53 pm

I can see upgrade availability from Y to J (and J to F) for LAX - DXB on the EK site, although not much of it.

Where I think your problem is being compounded is that you're wanting a single ticket. Saver Rewards are only available if you're buying a round trip so won't show up on your Reward query.

I've travelled recently on a single ticket (on a different route) and upgraded successfully so it can be done if D class is available.

It appears more likely that seats are not available on the day you want to travel, as stated above, or a combination of that and the EK call centre operator not knowing the system and how to check it.
Old May 13, 2014, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

I can see upgrade availability from Y to J (and J to F) for LAX - DXB on the EK site, although not much of it.

Where I think your problem is being compounded is that you're wanting a single ticket. Saver Rewards are only available if you're buying a round trip so won't show up on your Reward query.

I've travelled recently on a single ticket (on a different route) and upgraded successfully so it can be done if D class is available.

It appears more likely that seats are not available on the day you want to travel, as stated above, or a combination of that and the EK call centre operator not knowing the system and how to check it.
Where did u see the upgrade availability on Emirates' website? I couldn't find any link or page that displays the upgrade availability.

I definitely plan on traveling one way, but I can buy a round-trip economy and upgrade only the outbound flight.

I plan to travel on 9/16/2014. I was told by the EK reservation agent that entire week has no upgrade availability.
Old May 13, 2014, 6:23 pm

You can check for upgrade availability by searching for Reward availability. If a Business Saver Reward exists, then so does an upgrade from economy to business, as they both come from the "D" bucket.

Your search has to be for a round trip as a single will force the system to offer Flex Rewards only, so put in a dummy return date.

However, I've just looked from a week before your date until a week after and there is only availability on Monday 22nd and Tuesday 23rd September. Do your plans have flexibility enought to change to either of these dates?

You would also have to check that any ticket you bought would be upgradeable - many now cannot be upgraded until check in opens. You can force this Flex type ticket if the system only offers Saver type, but there is a price premium involved.

Relying on last minute availability might not be a good bet as there's nothing for the upcoming few days, although I don't know if there's a pattern there.

Do you have any EK status as Silver or above will allow you to do an on-board upgrade.

As you can see, there's lots of permutations and "ifs" and "buts". You have to get your head around them all to get the deal that suits you best.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: Gold: VS, SQ, AF/KL
any way to get around it to not pay fuel surcharge?

There is a $700 US dollar fuel charge after paying 117500 miles for a business class seat from LAX to Mumbai.

With the outrageous fuel surcharge, miles are basically worth very little especially if you're redeeming for economy class seat.
Do you still see the fuel surcharge? I think EK have stopped imposing fuel surcharges on its routes originating from USA.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by trigleek
Do you still see the fuel surcharge? I think EK have stopped imposing fuel surcharges on its routes originating from USA.
What makes you say that?

I've just done a dummy booking on the reward ticket being discussed here and, as said above, it comes out with > $700 US "Carrier Imposed Charge".
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: EK (G), VS (G), EY (G), BA (B) & HH (D)
EK will let you offset part of the fuel surcharge with (additional) Skyward miles and I have done that a number of times. Tax will have to be paid for.

Over the past 5 or 6 years, EK have pretty much halved the miles & tier miles they award for flights, increased the miles needed for a free ticket and imposed tax and fuel surcharge. I remember getting EK reward tickets just with miles but that was a very long time ago! Also, I now need to take nearly twice as many flights in a year to retain my Gold status.

If the airlines feel we should pay for fuel separately, I wonder how long it would be before they separate out all the charges (financing, cost of crew, maintenance, refurbishing, etc) and ask us to pay for those separately as well.

No fuel, no flight so it should be part of the fare! Yes, I think BA started it.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: Gold: VS, SQ, AF/KL
What makes you say that?

I've just done a dummy booking on the reward ticket being discussed here and, as said above, it comes out with > $700 US "Carrier Imposed Charge".
You are right. I just made a dummy booking from my skywards account LAX-DXB-BOM and see the > $700 "carrier imposed charge".

However, when you make a regular paid booking, in business class, from LAX to BOM on the EK website, there are no "carrier imposed charges", just taxes/fees that are less than $50.

For a BOM-DXB-LAX regular paid flight, however, there are "carrier imposed charges" more than $400.

EK is doing something odd here. :/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.