Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

SFO to DXB - $13,718 in Business???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Good morning all,

Looking at going with the wife to Dubai for 5 days in Aug. I checked for a business class fare via ITA and it is showing the direct Emirates flight at $13,718. Lufthansa, BA etc are all around $6700 in business.

First question: Why would anyone pay double the price to fly Emirates? I know they are good, but double???

Second question: Do people really pay that sort of money? A first class fare is $28k compared to $12k on BA.

I can't believe those prices, but fair play to Emirates if they are generating revenue pax paying those amounts!!!
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:09 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
people must be paying it. Crazy prices but they are set for a reason...
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
It may be that it is 'high season' and as such, there are only a few seats left in J. This seems like the highest fare class for that cabin.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
At least the variation in prices between carriers, as highlighted by the OP, is evidence of lively competition.

Ultimately you pays your money and makes your choice !

I would never say that EK is perfect ; but given the high load factors on the vast majority of flights I've taken with them over the years, they must be getting most things right for most of the time ........
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
The big difference is that BA, LH, etc require a connection and also have more capacity to play with (and fill).

When you have the only daily nonstop flight, you can charge a premium (but yes, double is extreme).
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by JTXC
It may be that it is 'high season' and as such, there are only a few seats left in J. This seems like the highest fare class for that cabin.
Actually, I think you can find a higher fare at 18k USD for a SFO-DXB rt in J! Flights look pretty wide open at the moment. I think I would probably go for F on LH and take advantage of the FRA transfer and have 12k USD in spending money!
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Plat(Soon to be gold), HHonors Silver, Amex Gold
If you pay double for EK I'd say you're nuts. Agree with e.t, take F on LH or BA and enjoy F experience rather than going the too big for their boots company
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Out of interest what is considered low season for travel to Dubai?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by SgtRyan
Out of interest what is considered low season for travel to Dubai?
Summer when it's hot. That would be next month to about October .
And Ramadan. That would be end of June to end of July this year. Most of the emiratis escape to London and Switzerland .
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:09 am

Programs: QF WP, QR GOLD, TK GOLD, EY GOLD, AF/KLM GOLD
EK is rarely the cheapest on any route they fly. Ditch them and fly via EU. Yes non-stop is best but the EK 777 in J with 2-3-2 is horrible.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zainman
EK is rarely the cheapest on any route they fly. Ditch them and fly via EU. Yes non-stop is best but the EK 777 in J with 2-3-2 is horrible.
Not true. EK had J fares from LON to TOY and SIN for only £2k when I was looking (I think it was November this year) and everyone else was around £2.5 plus...BA were over £3k!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Plat(Soon to be gold), HHonors Silver, Amex Gold
Originally Posted by meFIRST
Summer when it's hot. That would be next month to about October .
And Ramadan. That would be end of June to end of July this year. Most of the emiratis escape to London and Switzerland .
Yeah wonderful and now our government has made it even easier for them to come to the U.K. All about the Money for Cameron and his dunce Chancellor of the Exchequer Osborne
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by zainman
Yes non-stop is best but the EK 777 in J with 2-3-2 is horrible.
EK 777 J is not horrible at all. I prefer it to BA J, QR J, and even EK A380 J.

Any flight from the US terminating in DXB is going to be $$$$ on EK, because they are the only airline providing non-stop service. You can play some tricks to get the price down considerably, but it involves some extra flying.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whimike
EK 777 J is not horrible at all. I prefer it to BA J, QR J, and even EK A380 J.

Any flight from the US terminating in DXB is going to be $$$$ on EK, because they are the only airline providing non-stop service. You can play some tricks to get the price down considerably, but it involves some extra flying.
Please do PM your secrets....in return for your wisdom I can offer.......just PM, might be better
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Miles & More, SPG, Marriott
He probably means booking SFO-DXB-??? and back, with a stopover in Dubai where you have your actual holiday. The return flight would then be a day after the outbound last leg. So you fly extra and get a different fare.

The place in question would preferably be somewhere where EK has competition (SFO-??? direct or via another hub than DXB) and not too far from DXB so the extra flying isn't too bad.

Try pricing SFO-DXB (stopover)-DEL for example, or DOH or some other major hub in the wider region.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.