Carryon baggage allowance? ...!!

Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Well 7kg is actually a global standard. It'd the one item on Y that isn't.
This site shows that 40 lbs is the median and AF is the lowest at 26 lbs. EK's 7 kg rule comes to 15 lbs. It therefore seems EK is less than half the normal weight, and the "one item" makes matters more difficult. That point aside, I've never seen an airline that weighs carry on bags which are obviously smaller than the allowable size, so it seems EK is an outlier based on the "one bag only" rule, based on the weight rule, and based on the ruthless enforcement of those rules which is selectively applied based on departure airport.

https://www.luggageonline.com/travel...d-restrictions

This site has a bit more data and seems to suggest that limits are lower in Africa/Middle East than Americas/Europe, on average, and that Asia has a lot of variability.

I think enforcement is the key comparative point, though, because I've flown on many of these global airlines with my standard carry-on configuration and have never once had my hand baggage weighed. So, in practice, in my experience, EK is alone in actually weighing each bag and enforcing the most restrictive limits in the industry. From this list, I noticed only two airlines with a smaller limit than EK.

http://flyingwithfish.boardingarea.c...orld-airlines/
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by FlyWorld
This site shows that 40 lbs is the median and AF is the lowest at 26 lbs. EK's 7 kg rule comes to 15 lbs. It therefore seems EK is less than half the normal weight, and the "one item" makes matters more difficult. That point aside, I've never seen an airline that weighs carry on bags which are obviously smaller than the allowable size, so it seems EK is an outlier based on the "one bag only" rule, based on the weight rule, and based on the ruthless enforcement of those rules which is selectively applied based on departure airport.

https://www.luggageonline.com/travel...d-restrictions

This site has a bit more data and seems to suggest that limits are lower in Africa/Middle East than Americas/Europe, on average, and that Asia has a lot of variability.

I think enforcement is the key comparative point, though, because I've flown on many of these global airlines with my standard carry-on configuration and have never once had my hand baggage weighed. So, in practice, in my experience, EK is alone in actually weighing each bag and enforcing the most restrictive limits in the industry. From this list, I noticed only two airlines with a smaller limit than EK.

http://flyingwithfish.boardingarea.c...orld-airlines/
18kg limit for carry-on? I don't believe that for a second.

And I've had my carry on weighed by many airlines.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
18kg limit for carry-on? I don't believe that for a second.

And I've had my carry on weighed by many airlines.
BA have a 23kg limit per carry-on, but they are the exception in Europe along with U2's no limit (but very, very strict size limits). Most European airlines have a 8-12kg limit.

In Asia it's 5-8kg, Africa 7-12kg, South America 5-10kg, Oceania 5-10kg.

The main outliers globally are of course the major US airlines which have no limit apart from AA at 23kg.

So really, if you want to guarantee to carry heavy hand baggage on every flight, you've got to stick with the US3 or BA. I suspect FlyWorld is much more used to those carriers rather than others around the world - or has been lucky so far (as are most of us on FT, I think!) that airlines don't strictly enforce their rules.

http://carryonguy.com/airline-baggage-rules/
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
BA have a 23kg limit per carry-on, but they are the exception in Europe along with U2's no limit (but very, very strict size limits). Most European airlines have a 8-12kg limit.

In Asia it's 5-8kg, Africa 7-12kg, South America 5-10kg, Oceania 5-10kg.

The main outliers globally are of course the major US airlines which have no limit apart from AA at 23kg.

So really, if you want to guarantee to carry heavy hand baggage on every flight, you've got to stick with the US3 or BA. I suspect FlyWorld is much more used to those carriers rather than others around the world - or has been lucky so far (as are most of us on FT, I think!) that airlines don't strictly enforce their rules.

http://carryonguy.com/airline-baggage-rules/
Guess I should stop bumbling around Africa and Asia then, virtually every airline I've flown in the last 5 years has been 7kg or occasionally 10kg for the LCCs that charge for checked bags.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:37 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The BA limit of 23kg is plain stupid. But, they have a policy of not helping anybody with cabin baggage (H&S). In theory, they shouldn't even help out a little old lady with her small bag!
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
As a frequent user of easyjet in Europe, I can confirm that Easyjet does not have any weight limit on hand baggage.

This makes life easy as I don't even have to bother to check in any bags.

(On a flexi fare, I am allowed 2 pieces of hand luggage).
Old Sep 28, 2016, 1:07 pm

I'm amazed that anyone considers "one bag less than 7kg" to be reasonable.
I would say that 40 lbs (18kg) plus a laptop bag is ludicrous and is the reason boarding can become such a farce.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by ft101
I would say that 40 lbs (18kg) plus a laptop bag is ludicrous and is the reason boarding can become such a farce.
The real problem is small people having big carry-ons which they try to roll in Y cabin, front to back!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
... I suspect FlyWorld is much more used to those carriers rather than others around the world - or has been lucky so far (as are most of us on FT, I think!) that airlines don't strictly enforce their rules.
Correct. I am American, and I have learned from this conversation that what's normal for us in terms of carry-on is much different than what's normal for passengers based out of other regions.

However, I fly globally, and rarely fly US3 on international routes, so my exposure to European and Asian airlines is significant. This is the first time I've flown Middle East/Africa.

I have also learned from this conversation that the key point is enforcement, not the rules themselves, but I still assert EK is an outlier both in the rules and the enforcement of those rules.

What makes me most upset about this is the selective enforcement. As stated in my original post, there's no question in my mind that almost half of all passengers I observed in the transit area at DXB had more luggage than would have been allowed for any passenger starting at DXB or re-entering DXB after a long layover city visit. Many of these clearly had the "international standard" of "one carry on and one personal item" which made it easy to assess. Many more had carry on bags that were so large (again, international standard) that there's no conceivable way they could weigh in at < 7 KG unless they were either empty or filled with styrofoam.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Regarding BA's allowance... It's brilliant but can be a nightmare for short haul, which is a what a lot of passengers do to connect to their long haul flight out of LHR. Great if you have a little status and can board early. BA's long haul jets seem to have enough room for most, but again it pays to be able to board early, just so you know your bags are directly above you. For me, BA lost its shine when it increased the passenger density of its short haul aircraft. Emirates? Can be easily gamed as long as you're not flying out of MAN...

With Emirates economy, I see the opposite problem. I struggle to pack all the things I want, that really should be in the hand baggage, within the Emirates limitations, but space is usually not an issue. If my next trip must be economy, then I naturally try to avoid Emirates. Of course there are always risks. BA has its higher density short haul cabins, while AF/KLM have have a decent official allowance while using FlyBe as a partner for short haul!
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
If a bag weighed even a fraction of a KG over 7 KG, they would lecture the passenger on the weight limit. If it broke 8 KG, they'd be more harsh. And, if it approached 9 KG or higher, the passenger was denied entry.
I'll have one checked luggage (<23kg) and one carryon which I'm trying to get from 9kg down to 7kg. Since I'm flying DFW-DXB-MRU in Y tomorrow, I'll prepare myself in case I've to check the carryon. Fortunately, I plan to check both on my return to the States.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
10 kg carryon, had to check it in, paying 830 Dhs or 220$

So 220$ for 3 kg over limit ....
Old Dec 28, 2016, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
10 kg carryon, had to check it in, paying 830 Dhs or 220$

So 220$ for 3 kg over limit ....
? What?
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Was travelling ex-DXB, had my carry-on measured before immigration, was told 10 kg was not allowed, had to be 7, and so I had to check it in, paying extra check in fees for the entire amount

Got angry as if I knew before baggage checkin I could have easily transferred 3 kg to the checked in baggage.

But lesson well learnt
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
Was travelling ex-DXB, had my carry-on measured before immigration, was told 10 kg was not allowed, had to be 7, and so I had to check it in, paying extra check in fees for the entire amount

Got angry as if I knew before baggage checkin I could have easily transferred 3 kg to the checked in baggage.

But lesson well learnt
Why did you have to pay? If you say you could've transferred then you had space? Or did you have to buy a new bag as you were on the piece concept?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.