Wiki Posts
Search

Carryon baggage allowance? ...!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC/EK
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Perhaps some analysis has been done showing that an increased Y baggage allowance whilst being strict on cabin baggage (on some routes) makes them more money as they can more accurately gauge fuel requirements (especially being a carrier that has decent loads and revenue in Y), have reduced delays in boarding, especially on some routes where pax on other airlines with less strict cabin baggage policies do everything to pack the bins, which means an aggregate increase in aircraft utilisation rates - whilst I don't think that has been published recently, I believe it is high compared to comparable carriers, as well as additional revenue from excess baggage fees.
I doubt this is the case as people will probably pack more if forced to check luggage. My suspicion is that this may be to get people shopping more while in Dubai given the government pretty much profits from every purchase in the country one way or another. If you're traveling with a carry-on there is only so much you'll buy, but if suddenly you have an extra 13kg and bigger suitcase then perhaps shopping increases. I don't know, maybe I'm grasping at straws but I really can't understand why they'd have such a ridiculous hand baggage policy.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Just to give you an idea of how hard it is for me to meet a 7kg limit, I just looked up the weight of my camera (5DMKII and 24-105L = 2kg) and laptop (17" Toshiba = 3kg) and I'm at 5kg already. I typically also carry a GoPro Hero3 and Canon S100 so add at least 1kg for them including chargers/cables and 1kg for the bag itself and I'm already over the limit.

I'll often carry a Kindle or Tablet as well just for reading / movies on the flight but those would put me over the limit. Noise cancelling headphones? Guess not!

I understand limitations for budget airlines where you're getting ridiculously cheap fares, but Emirates doesn't market itself as a budget airline.

I'm lost all interest in flying Emirates regardless of class of travel over this ridiculous policy.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Baldpacker
Of course, I am extra cautious if I ever fly with a budget airline like Ryan Air or Asia, but it's pretty unreal for EK to have a 1 7kg bag allowance when even Ryan Air allows 10KG and Air Asia allows 1 7kg hand luggage + 1 laptop bag.
You checked a bag and still had 9kg left over so weren't even close.

It sounds like you may well have been over the limit for J or F, where you're allowed two bags but each must weigh no more than 7kg.

304 flights now
Still time to learn then.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
You checked a bag and still had 9kg left over so weren't even close.

It sounds like you may well have been over the limit for J or F, where you're allowed two bags but each must weigh no more than 7kg.

Still time to learn then.
My checked bag was 6kg (essentially clothes and toiletry bag). Total between by 2 bags was 15kg. I would have been able to put on a jacket or a few things in my pocket and board an Air Asia flight, which is a pretty low base standard for Emirates to not be able to meet.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:22 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
My suspicion is that this may be to get people shopping more while in Dubai given the government pretty much profits from every purchase in the country one way or another. If you're traveling with a carry-on there is only so much you'll buy, but if suddenly you have an extra 13kg and bigger suitcase then perhaps shopping increases. I don't know, maybe I'm grasping at straws but I really can't understand why they'd have such a ridiculous hand baggage policy.
Yes, I think you are grasping at straws...

The enforcement of limitations on hand luggage tends to be case or destination specific (flights to India, for example) and probably because people *really* go in heavy (after having already checked a flat screen TV into the hold). I was however surprized to hear about the carry-on weight check at the first security check point (rather than at gate). I personally have never had my hand luggage weighed (whether F, J or Y) although I'm guessing a reasonable briefcase/backpack and rollaboard with a couple pairs of shoes exceeds 7kg (if not 14kg).

So yeah, the OP got caught in a situation where EK was being tight. Sucks.

The flip side is that Emirates has a relatively generous (30kg) starting checked luggage policy (more with elite status).

But before decrying EK's "ridiculous" carry-on policy, here are some others:

Cathay Pacific: Y = Max 7kg
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_U...n-baggage.html

Singapore: Y = 1 item Max 7kg
http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/tr...ge-allowances/

Lufthansa: Y= 1 carry-on max 8Kg
http://www.lufthansa.com/uk/en/Carry-on-baggage

Qatar: Y = 1 item max 7kg
http://support.qatarairways.com/entr...age-allowance-

Etihad: Y = 1 item max 7kg
http://blog.whichairline.com/2012/08...omment-page-1/

Air France: Y = 1 + 1 total of 12kg
http://www.airfrance.us/US/en/common..._airfrance.htm

Notable standout is BA: 1 + 1 total of 23kg (but you must be able to lift it!)
http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/...age-allowances
(but I remember LHR being really strict on 1 bag only following the no liquid policy - has that changed?)

I won't list the US airlines (which tends to be 22lb/10kg), because they charge for checked luggage (as do Ryan Air and EZ). The European airlines are also pretty tight on checked-luggage (20kg typically).
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by extramileage
I was however surprized to hear about the carry-on weight check at the first security check point (rather than at gate).

But before decrying EK's "ridiculous" carry-on policy, here are some others:
They weren't even weighing at the security checkpoint. In T3 right after check-in they funnel everyone into a customs area and this is where they were weighing bags - pre customs, pre securty, pre gate, and pre duty free shopping. I guess it's just to make it easy to force people back into the massive line-ups to have to check their bags. Thankfully I was able to use the Silver line-up or I would have missed my flight over having to line-up again.

I certainly understand the destination specific requirements and where people bring too much carry on to third world destinations, but this was just an across the board crackdown. The DXB>SAH flight is rarely over 50% full in Y so it's even more ridiculous that they enforced the baggage allowance for my flight there.

I'm very surprised the other airlines that you mentioned also have a 7kg policy, but I have traveled Etihad, Singapore, Qatar, and LH numerous times with the exact same carry-on setup (including in Y for all but Etihad) and have never had an issue.

I've always been a big fan of enforcement on size allowances as there is nothing worse than not being able to find space in the overheads, but I can't support EK's weight allowance enforcement and if they keep it up perhaps I'll start laying over in Doha instead of Dubai.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:00 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
I've always been a big fan of enforcement on size allowances as there is nothing worse than not being able to find space in the overheads, but I can't support EK's weight allowance enforcement.
But you have to admit this is a double standard: enforce size, but not weight.

I see a response coming from the guy who flies with large balloons....
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by extramileage
But you have to admit this is a double standard: enforce size, but not weight.

I see a response coming from the guy who flies with large balloons....
But what's the purpose of the weight restriction? There is a limit to space in overhead bins and the cabin for sure, but weight restriction? I know they have weight limits labeled, but I've seen several photos of ~200 pound people planking in the overheads so they're obviously able to hold 90kgs+.

I understand that you don't want cabin crew having to handle heavy bags but as I believe BA's policy states, if you can handle the bag yourself what's the big deal?

If I were an airline, I'd much rather have someone traveling with 14kgs of carry on luggage than 7kgs of carry on luggage + 20kgs in the hold which requires additional check-in staff, handling, fuel, risk of loss, etc.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:18 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
If I were an airline, I'd much rather have someone traveling with 14kgs of carry on luggage than 7kgs of carry on luggage + 20kgs in the hold which requires additional check-in staff, handling, fuel, risk of loss, etc.
Have you ever wondered that most pople may not be able to lift 14-15 kgs into the overhead bins and during one of those 'swings' what if the 30 pound projectile missed the O/H bin and landed on somebody's head?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackiedada
Have you ever wondered that most pople may not be able to lift 14-15 kgs into the overhead bins and during one of those 'swings' what if the 30 pound projectile missed the O/H bin and landed on somebody's head?
The risk of that happening with 1 hand luggage weighing 7kg + 1 laptop bag or briefcase weighing 7kg aren't much different than 1 article weighing 7kg, now is it?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Also, if the baggage meets the size requirements it should also be able to fit under the seat in front of you...
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:28 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
The risk of that happening with 1 hand luggage weighing 7kg + 1 laptop bag or briefcase weighing 7kg aren't much different than 1 article weighing 7kg, now is it?
Well, at least lifting a single 7 kg carry on is much easier than lifting a single 14 kg carry on. My suitcase typically weights 15 kgs and I have trouble hauling it without assistance on the roof of taxis in India.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackiedada
Well, at least lifting a single 7 kg carry on is much easier than lifting a single 14 kg carry on. My suitcase typically weights 15 kgs and I have trouble hauling it without assistance on the roof of taxis in India.
As I say, I really don't see a reason for the weight requirements.

I try to travel with the standard business set-up of 1 roller bag + 1 laptop bag. In this case, my roller bag weighed ~12kgs and my laptop bag ~3kgs but I easily could have reallocated the weight and I have no problem handling heavy hand baggage anyways.

There will always be someone who can handle heavier luggage and there's no shame in asking for assistance. I often help people with their luggage regardless of the weight of their bag. The only hassle is when it's too big for the overhead bins...

If there is no one on your flight that can handle a 15kg bag, or in the street to help you load your taxi, I'd be surprised.

Whether the rule is 1 14kg bag or 2 7 kg bags, to me the biggest limitation should be size rather than weight, within reason.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As I say, I really don't see a reason for the weight requirements.

I try to travel with the standard business set-up of 1 roller bag + 1 laptop bag. In this case, my roller bag weighed ~12kgs and my laptop bag ~3kgs but I easily could have reallocated the weight and I have no problem handling heavy hand baggage anyways.

There will always be someone who can handle heavier luggage and there's no shame in asking for assistance. I often help people with their luggage regardless of the weight of their bag. The only hassle is when it's too big for the overhead bins...

If there is no one on your flight that can handle a 15kg bag, or in the street to help you load your taxi, I'd be surprised.

Whether the rule is 1 14kg bag or 2 7 kg bags, to me the biggest limitation should be size rather than weight, within reason.
So with a weight limit of 7Kg permitted, you were over double over the allowance and even over that allowed for business class

There are weight limits for hand luggage on Emirates ( and many carriers ); maybe sometimes/often you have not been stopped when overlimit, but I don't see any valid complaint when stopped for being over - especially when double over. There is a checked baggage allowance which can be used
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
So with a weight limit of 7Kg permitted, you were over double over the allowance and even over that allowed for business class
I'm not complaining about the fact I was stopped for the limit as much as I'm complaining about how ridiculous the limit is. I'm all for enforcement provided the limits are reasonable, which I expected it to be.

Emirates claims to be one of the world's best airlines yet has a hand baggage allowance less than that of Air Asia or RyanAir. Seriously? For what purpose?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.