Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

DXB First Class Lounge - Day vs. Night

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2014, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ diamond, BA bronze, DL and AA just for the free magazines!

I have 2 upcoming layovers in the DXB FCL.

2200-0400 on outbound
0600-1500 on return leg

Are the offerings any different during day or night? Does the spa/cigar bar close at some point? At what time does dinner food change into breakfast into lunch? Any difference in the Terminal A/B/C lounge offerings? I have dreams of a beautiful oasis where champagne flows all 24 hours, but surely the reality is probably a bit dull for that many hours...

Aside from a very long walk to kill time, is there anything special worth seeing/doing outside the lounges?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Hi there, they do seem rather long layovers, especially the return leg.

I last used the F lounge + it's food 'facilities' at DXB in late November and can recall seeing mention of meal times on the menu handed out by staff to those wishing to take advantage of the at table waiter service. I seem to remember that lunch & dinner more or less merged into one, with the same offerings, and that there was a separate menu-within-a-menu specifically for breakfast. However, there was a sort of hiatus between (I think ....) the hours of 03.00 and 05.00, or maybe 06.00, when no full scale meals were being cooked to order but when you could, I am sure, find lots of other things to eat. Sorry to sound a little vague on that, but others might help further.

On the matter of airport diversions ..... I would have thought for that long layover on your return leg you would be able to leave the airport (subject of course to visa eligibility etc) and go into town to have a bit of a look around, or at least to a nearby hotel to maybe use the pool etc.

Maybe there are indeed 'things to do' at the airport - especially if you like shops. But, speaking personally, I have to say I stopped finding airports interesting places around the same time I stopped being a teenager ! For me, they are purely functional.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Miles & More, SPG, Marriott
The last time I was in the F lounge was two weeks ago, late at night. The buffet doesn't seem to change much, and is available continuously. Salad, mini sandwiches, fruit, cheese, bread, yogurt, danish etc. Don't know the timings of the sit-down service (like a restaurant), but it was going on after midnight too. Champagne does actually flow 24h.

There isn't much to see except the duty free shopping. I agree with subject2load's suggestion of having a look around Dubai, especially on the 9h daytime stopover.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by jorosenb
I have 2 upcoming layovers in the DXB FCL.

2200-0400 on outbound
0600-1500 on return leg

Are the offerings any different during day or night? Does the spa/cigar bar close at some point? At what time does dinner food change into breakfast into lunch? Any difference in the Terminal A/B/C lounge offerings? I have dreams of a beautiful oasis where champagne flows all 24 hours, but surely the reality is probably a bit dull for that many hours...

Aside from a very long walk to kill time, is there anything special worth seeing/doing outside the lounges?

Thanks in advance!
Breakfast is usually 0600-1000. The main dishes on the buffet will change around 1000-1100 depending on how busy the staff are. So the grilled meats, pasta etc. will replace the breakfast stuff and cereals. The a la carte menu technically also changes around that time. However - depending on your charm and how busy the kitchens are, they will sometimes do food from the breakfast at other times and the all day menu for breakfast. If it's possible, there will be a bit of a longer wait than usual for food. The rest of the buffet - salads, cold cuts, etc. etc. doesn't change in offering (they do get replenished throughout the day before someone comes on here and complains about food safety!)

The spa and cigar area do not close.

A and B are broadly similar in terms of offerings. They both have a different ambience which has been discussed on the board before. There is now shoe shine in A. The spa facilities at A are much superior to B, but in a separate facility outside the lounge itself. It may be a bit of a walk... iirc, there is no cigar room in B or C. C does not have a spa. I haven't been to C in a long while though...

Champagne does indeed flow for 24 hours along with all the other food and beverage offerings. Whether it's a beautiful oasis on the other hand... Don't get denied boarding for overindulging

There is no much to do in the airport except for shopping and eating. As other posters have suggested, why not exit the airport on your 0600-1500 layover and explore Dubai if your passport allows, you have lots of time!
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:50 am

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
Some things which may be of interest:

Unlike those in A, shower rooms in B have no toilet or basin. Pretty awful. Haven't used those in C. Very poor ventillation means you might prefer to shower onboard (assuming A380).

Lounge in C has best view of apron if this appeals to you.

I believe that A does not have sofas. The ones in B are nice.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:51 am

Programs: QFF
I spent some time in there ~0000-0400 (following a missed connection and waiting for rebooking) and ~2230-0200 that night for the rebooked flight in mid november.

At around 0230, I was advised that they were about to close up dinner and start changing over to breakfast.
EK offered to have me spend the day in the lounge while waiting for the rebooked flight, but QF got me a hotel, so I was only there for dinner.

There weren't very many people in the lounge either time. It got a bit busy close to the gate when QF1/9 were there, but other then that, the lounge seemed to be at maybe 5-10% capacity.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 3:51 am

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
Originally Posted by Turicus
The last time I was in the F lounge was two weeks ago, late at night. The buffet doesn't seem to change much, and is available continuously. Salad, mini sandwiches, fruit, cheese, bread, yogurt, danish etc. Don't know the timings of the sit-down service (like a restaurant), but it was going on after midnight too. Champagne does actually flow 24h.

There isn't much to see except the duty free shopping. I agree with subject2load's suggestion of having a look around Dubai, especially on the 9h daytime stopover.
I'm not sure about the idea of leaving the airport.

I know it's a matter of personal preference, but I'd rather avoid the hassle of immigration and security. And doesn't one's stay in Dubai need to be over a certain length to be admitted?

I quite like long layovers at DXB. I'm in no hurry and find the time goes quite quickly. Leisurely meals in the lounge restaurants, the opportunity to read newspapers from all four corners of the globe, taking a shower etc. eat up the hours. The one thing missing, tho', is somewhere private/quiet to have a nap. How did Emirates' manage to get this wrong?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 4:00 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Seat64A
And doesn't one's stay in Dubai need to be over a certain length to be admitted?
I've entered Dubai (AU passport) 3 times now. Each time for less then a day. (arrive in morning, depart that night)

The one thing missing, tho', is somewhere private/quiet to have a nap. How did Emirates' manage to get this wrong?
The Concourse A F lounge does have some quiet areas complete with blankets and pillows. More then suitable for a nap.

Last edited by Himeno; Jan 24, 2014 at 4:05 am
Old Jan 24, 2014, 4:53 am

And doesn't one's stay in Dubai need to be over a certain length to be admitted?
If you require an Emirates sponsored transit visa, you must have at least 8 hours between the time you arrive at the immigration desk and your scheduled departure time to be admitted.

If you have any other type of visa, this is not an issue.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Himeno
I've entered Dubai (AU passport) 3 times now. Each time for less then a day. (arrive in morning, depart that night)

The Concourse A F lounge does have some quiet areas complete with blankets and pillows. More then suitable for a nap.
Only guaranteed to be suitable if you're immune to others' snoring (which I'm not!).
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:12 am

I'm not sure about the idea of leaving the airport.

I know it's a matter of personal preference, but I'd rather avoid the hassle of immigration and security. And doesn't one's stay in Dubai need to be over a certain length to be admitted?

I quite like long layovers at DXB. I'm in no hurry and find the time goes quite quickly. Leisurely meals in the lounge restaurants, the opportunity to read newspapers from all four corners of the globe, taking a shower etc. eat up the hours. The one thing missing, tho', is somewhere private/quiet to have a nap. How did Emirates' manage to get this wrong?
Assuming OP is travelling in F, the immigration/security I think will be rather painless, usual morning rush aside - upon his return to check-in he will have chauffeur drive, the F/J immigration and security channels which will take him straight in. There is only the customs cursory bag scan on entering Dubai which is less hassle than transit security...

A quiet room is available with earplugs and blankets etc in FCL A. I think they are also being constructed in FCL B where the children's play room used to be by the spa/shoe shine?

As B747-437B mentioned, it isn't an issue if you don't need a transit visa. Even for those with visa free access
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:59 am

I had an entertaining 0200-0800 layover in the Concourse A F lounge last March. Caught up with email/online nonsense, had a foot massage at 0330, wandered duty free downstairs, had a breakfast around 0500 in the restaurant where I felt horrible drinking champagne while the morning call to prayer was sung throughout the airport. (Note: it was the most beautiful voice I had heard in visits to several muslim countries.) Then rested in the quiet room, where there are several areas and few visitors so it was easy to have my own section. By 0700 I was ready to board.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: CX Gold, EK, OW Saphire
I was in concourse A F lounge at 0300 or so in December. I am pretty sure i was handed an all-day dining menu which had breakfast, lunch, dinner options... yes champagne flows 24hours. Cigar lounge, massage etc... have not tried the later two as yet... you could easily leave the airport say around 9/10 am and return at 1/130 and still be good to go... you have options of malls, or roaming the old neighborhoods, showers inside the A FCL have not received good reviews, though the sleeping/quiet areas are good.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by anxiousone
I was in concourse A F lounge at 0300 or so in December. I am pretty sure i was handed an all-day dining menu which had breakfast, lunch, dinner options... yes champagne flows 24hours. Cigar lounge, massage etc... have not tried the later two as yet... you could easily leave the airport say around 9/10 am and return at 1/130 and still be good to go... you have options of malls, or roaming the old neighborhoods, showers inside the A FCL have not received good reviews, though the sleeping/quiet areas are good.
The showers in A are luxurious with, for example, slippers and absurdly thick towels. Their sole drawback in my opinion is the very poor ventillation. If only Emirates' could sort that out.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:58 pm

Is the SPA treatment in F lOunge in Dubai for free? I just heard about it but not sure whether I just got it wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.