Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates A380 at GLA Confirmed (One-Off)

Emirates A380 at GLA Confirmed (One-Off)

Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
Originally Posted by ayeaway
OK lets put this to bed. Any airport that can handle a Boeing 747 can handle an A380 end of. Wikipedia it.
The only problem is air bridges but from what I have read on here EK have used buses on remote stands for A380 before at various airports so what's the problem? It might not be the best but can be done.
I understand that the A380 fits the 80m × 80m gate spaces required for widebodies (and is, incidentally, a reason why an A380 stretch may not happen, despite Emirates' apparent enthusiasm).

I seem, tho', to recall some discussion of taxiway strengthening. I assume that this might have been an issue only for some airports.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: skywards silver
Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y
Good news for those who travel in and out of Glasgow. Emirates will be doing a one-off to commemorate 10 years at Glasgow.

Full story here.

(wasn't aware that the runways were capable of the A380 - heres hoping that the A380 wont be too far off for regular flights).
Just think what could be if the powers at be geared up for this full time. Could this also be a wee test for them to see if Glasgow could handle an a380. Pity it's not in September, honeymoon booked and the new Mrs will be turning left

With a bit of luck might be sowing barley at Inchinnan so will get to see the bird in the flesh.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by marconess
On a side note, any news on a Glasgow Lounge?
I last passed through in early December and work had not started, although the location was seemingly agreed. The EK staff hoped that the Commonwealth games would provide a target to have it up and running.

Just some gossip I got from my Cheufeur the other week. EK are putting a third daily into GLA in 2015 to arrive early morning and get this one they are planning on going Glasgow to North America but facing opposition from BA (fair enough) but also AA who don't even fly to GLA. discuss.
I've heard similar from a chauffeur before, but I've also heard elsewhere the next NA via UK flight will be through MAN. EK may well be discussing various options.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:38 am

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
Originally Posted by ft101
I last passed through in early December and work had not started, although the location was seemingly agreed. The EK staff hoped that the Commonwealth games would provide a target to have it up and running.

I've heard similar from a chauffeur before, but I've also heard elsewhere the next NA via UK flight will be through MAN. EK may well be discussing various options.
Gosh, these chauffeurs are in the know!

Yes, I'd have thought MAN would make more sense, LGW even more so.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by Seat64A
Originally Posted by ft101

Gosh, these chauffeurs are in the know!

Yes, I'd have thought MAN would make more sense, LGW even more so.
Oh I don't think you will get anywhere second guessing EK. Where else in Europe do they fly TATL hmmmm. Why there? And not a big boy airport?.

Maybe they had a look at it and thought well we have the kangaroo route sewn up but hey there are a bucket load of Scottish expats in North America who have crap options, lets have a look at that.

Also there is the referendum on Scottish independence with the SNP very anti APD half it immediately then abolish it.

But at the end of the day its gossip and no need to start waving dicks about MAN LGW etc as we have all heard it before.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 1:51 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

But at the end of the day its gossip and no need to start waving dicks about MAN LGW etc as we have all heard it before.
I was just going to say that... It was MAN a couple of years ago, LGW last year, and now GLA

All seems to be sourced from limo drivers - who probably got it from gossiping passengers.

The HAM-JFK attempt failed. I wonder how the MXP-JFK flights are doing? You can get J returns for EUR1700, so I wonder if they're struggling?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 3:07 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I wonder how the MXP-JFK flights are doing? You can get J returns for EUR1700, so I wonder if they're struggling?
In fact, EK 205/206 seems to sell out in all classes (typically Y and J before F) before 201/202 or 203/204, so my guess would be "not too bad".
Old Feb 14, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
Much more chance of BHX getting a third rotation than GLA, if only to stop QR from getting in on the act.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Silverswimmer
Much more chance of BHX getting a third rotation than GLA, if only to stop QR from getting in on the act.
I was just relaying gossip. No need to get into a my local airport is far more important than yours debate.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by hillwalker
Pity it's not in September, honeymoon booked and the new Mrs will be turning left

With a bit of luck might be sowing barley at Inchinnan so will get to see the bird in the flesh.
Seeing as you're marrying her...I'm sure you will
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
OK lets put this to bed. Any airport that can handle a Boeing 747 can handle an A380 end of. Wikipedia it.
The only problem is air bridges but from what I have read on here EK have used buses on remote stands for A380 before at various airports so what's the problem? It might not be the best but can be done.
JED does not have any airbridges. Everyone gets bussed to the plane and it does work, it is just a very painful process (especially with the horrid disorganization of JED).
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: EK Gold,UA 1K + 1 Million Miler
Smile

What a great way to celebrate 10 years of service at Glasgow from EK.

For me it was a not to be missed once in a lifetime opportunity so I dug deep into the savings and booked F for a wee trip to HKG (for Macau).

While out in Asia I figured a little side trip was on the cards and found a nice O class Biz fare to LAX so I booked that as well. Figured I would have no problem renewing my Gold status on this.

Only down side is at Glasgow the EK Lounge will not be ready in time for the 10th April. I think sometimes we are spoilt by the EK Lounges but I reckon all international lounges should be up to their standard. It's just a pity that the one operated by Servisair at Glasgow falls far short of the mark especially with the catering. The view is pretty good though. If you are used to USA demostic lounges then Glasgow is OK but I expect better.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by John MacCalman

For me it was a not to be missed once in a lifetime opportunity so I dug deep into the savings and booked F for a wee trip to HKG (for Macau).

While out in Asia I figured a little side trip was on the cards and found a nice O class Biz fare to LAX so I booked that as well. Figured I would have no problem renewing my Gold status on this.

Only down side is at Glasgow the EK Lounge will not be ready in time for the 10th April. I think sometimes we are spoilt by the EK Lounges but I reckon all international lounges should be up to their standard. It's just a pity that the one operated by Servisair at Glasgow falls far short of the mark especially with the catering. The view is pretty good though. If you are used to USA demostic lounges then Glasgow is OK but I expect better.
Anyone else booked on this flight? I am on the 380 departure out of GLA on the 10th in J...would be good to get a wee FT meet wither in the lounge or onboard!
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by John MacCalman

Is an EK lounge at GLA definite? If so, when approximately? Agreed about the GLA lounge. It stood out as the proverbial dog's ****s when we did our recent trip and visited the GLA lounge to start then followed that with DXB, KUL, MEL, SIN and DXB! Mind you the DXB lounge (nr B24) was a bit disappointing and felt like an aircraft hangar.

FWIW, having travelled a couple of times on the A380 (DXB-MEL-DXB) we found J class on it to be cattle class business (too many pax and a claustrophobic seat like a F1 driver and a bar at the back no interest to a non-drinker). Give me 777-300ER by choice but agreed a good way to celebrate the 10th anniversary. The other thing with the route we do is that it's an awful long time non-stop in the A380; a re-fuelling at SIN or KUL breaks our journey nicely into roughly 3 x 7 hr flights.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: EK Gold,UA 1K + 1 Million Miler
Originally Posted by OzTennis
Is an EK lounge at GLA definite? If so, when approximately? Agreed about the GLA lounge. It stood out as the proverbial dog's ****s when we did our recent trip and visited the GLA lounge to start then followed that with DXB, KUL, MEL, SIN and DXB! Mind you the DXB lounge (nr B24) was a bit disappointing and felt like an aircraft hangar.

FWIW, having travelled a couple of times on the A380 (DXB-MEL-DXB) we found J class on it to be cattle class business (too many pax and a claustrophobic seat like a F1 driver and a bar at the back no interest to a non-drinker). Give me 777-300ER by choice but agreed a good way to celebrate the 10th anniversary. The other thing with the route we do is that it's an awful long time non-stop in the A380; a re-fuelling at SIN or KUL breaks our journey nicely into roughly 3 x 7 hr flights.
I believe the GLA EK lounge will be open in July in time for the Commonwealth Games. I don't mind J in the 380 as long as I am on the side towards the front.
Good thing about breaking up the journey to MEL from DXB is more lounges.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.