Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Skywards Card & "gift"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: EK Gold
Rats! I recently renewed Gold. Must be just before the change as I got option of the same two old gifts.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 6:15 am

Programs: EK Gold, QF
Originally Posted by extramileage
From the EK email:

The charger comes with four adaptor pins compatible with Apple*, Blackberry, Samsung and Nokia and is also compatible with other USB-based charging devices.

* Valid up to iPhone 4S
I love my power bank gift and you can use with 5/5s if you simply use your lightning cable, usb into power bank perfectly.

Traveling in Asia, Powerbanks are normal part of most peoples day to day life to have power all day, or days on end for your mobile, Iphone or another brand.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:04 pm

I lost Gold status at the end of February but re-qualified again yesterday, so was pleased to see an email from Emirates in my inbox.

No mention of a gift, just a request to confirm my address. I've missed out here.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 2:36 am

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
I think that once you receive the card there is a kind of certificate enclosed directing you to the High Street webpage where you can select your gift.
Old May 19, 2014, 11:45 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Just received a Gold Pack which is just an el-cheapo passport wallet along with luggage tags. I bet they spent more money on the courier than on the material inside the pack...
Old May 20, 2014, 12:45 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Miles & More, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by jackiedada
Just received a Gold Pack which is just an el-cheapo passport wallet along with luggage tags. I bet they spent more money on the courier than on the material inside the pack...
I was able to choose, and got the headphones instead. They're not amazing, but the cable is pretty long, which is useful for the gym.
Old May 20, 2014, 1:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
The wallet is indeed very unimpressive. Poor quality stuff and well below the standard Emirates should be setting. Doubt you would need to pay more than around $3 for it in a Bangkok street market.
Old May 20, 2014, 3:28 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
The wallet is indeed very unimpressive. Poor quality stuff and well below the standard Emirates should be setting. Doubt you would need to pay more than around $3 for it in a Bangkok street market.
My wife tossed her one in the garbage but I retrieved it thinking it deserved better than that and even thought I might use it one day. Perhaps I just have poor taste ...
Old May 20, 2014, 3:35 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Miles & More, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by mrtdxb
My wife tossed her one in the garbage but I retrieved it thinking it deserved better than that and even thought I might use it one day. Perhaps I just have poor taste ...
I can relate to the frugal mindset. It's worth pennies, but hey, it may be of use! ^
Old May 20, 2014, 4:57 am

Programs: BA GGL (LTG), Marriott LT Titanium, EK Plat, Amex Cent
I got a cheap-ish watch this year as a plat gift, which I gave to my driver. It was the best of a poor bunch of presents. Previous year as a Gold I got the headphones which remain in the packet as I am loving my Bose IE2 headphones.

I do not mean to sound ungrateful, but I do believe that these presents may be counter-productive to EK. I mean, as a plat, statistically speaking I probably have a pretty decent job and a $50- $100 bit of kit is going to be of limited value.

Now i know that EK can hardly be expected to dish out Tag's, Rolex's or similar, and the fact that they are trying to recognise and reward our loyalty is very much appreciated, but perhaps a slight re-think is in order.

Looking at some other schemes I have experience of, BA offer Gold Upgrade for Two vouchers (which are a nightmare to use, but thats a different story - if we could use them the concept is fantastic) and in the past SPG have given me 1000 bonus Starpoints as a thank you for re-qualification and also a $25 in-hotel gift voucher - quite modest but welcome nonetheless as Mrs Nimi used it towards a spa treatment. I would hazard a guess that for many of us something similar would be more useful, less wasteful on the environment and possibly less costly for EK.

Just my thoughts - would be interested to know others views
Old May 21, 2014, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by nimeta
Now i know that EK can hardly be expected to dish out Tag's, Rolex's or similar, and the fact that they are trying to recognise and reward our loyalty is very much appreciated, but perhaps a slight re-think is in order.
I quite agree with that. My preference would be for EK to get something custom made, that's related to flying or EKs fleet, that you really can't pick of the streets of Bangkok or Shenzhen, and hopefully doesn't look that cheap that it gets thrown in the dustbin or inside a drawer, - basically doesn't have to be expensive, but exclusive, and hard to get unless you achieve status with EK
Old May 21, 2014, 1:50 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I quite agree with that. My preference would be for EK to get something custom made, that's related to flying or EKs fleet, that you really can't pick of the streets of Bangkok or Shenzhen, and hopefully doesn't look that cheap that it gets thrown in the dustbin or inside a drawer, - basically doesn't have to be expensive, but exclusive, and hard to get unless you achieve status with EK
I think the issue is that there are just too many Plats and the threshold is too low.
Old May 21, 2014, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by m3red
I think the issue is that there are just too many Plats and the threshold is too low.
Perhaps there indeed are too many Plats but the qualification threshold is fairly steep IMO. JFK is can be very Platinum heavy but on my last trip to BOS, I was the only Plat on the DXB-BOS and the BOS-DXB legs....
Old May 21, 2014, 4:01 am

Programs: BA GGL (LTG), Marriott LT Titanium, EK Plat, Amex Cent
Perhaps there indeed are too many Plats but the qualification threshold is fairly steep IMO. JFK is can be very Platinum heavy but on my last trip to BOS, I was the only Plat on the DXB-BOS and the BOS-DXB legs....
The qualification threshold is similar to, for example, the BA Gold Guest List level, which requires 3000 TP per annum over 2 years. 3000 TP is about 10.7 return J 7 hour (ish) flights.

150,000 Skywards miles is, by my reckoning, about 10 return long haul J flights. Key difference is that EK allow you to get this in 1 year - BA insist on 2 years, although I would argue that the BA GGL is superior to EK Plat. Anyway, I think they have the threshold about right for the fairly modest incremental benefits offered. If there are too many plats, one could argue that EK is just too popular as an airline - not surprising given the quality of the product compared to many of its competitors.

Anyway, if there are more plats than they had anticipated, then moving towards a points / upgrade voucher reward instead of cheap jewelry items may ab in EK's interest as well as our interest
Old May 21, 2014, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mrtdxb
Well if you live in Dubai of course you have poor taste! that's tacky Gold Bling Central!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.