Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Boarding procedure for Economy in Emirates A380 for LAX-DXB route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Hi Friends,

I will be flying the LAX-DXB route in couple of weeks and I have picked the seat 84C for now. I am guessing that since it is the off-season, the flight will not be that full and if I am lucky I can get the entire row to myself since it's the back of the plane.

Does anyone know the boarding order on this flight from LAX? Is it front to back...or back to front? I am worried that since I am all the way at the back, I will the last to board and there is a chance of running out of overhead bin space.

Any recommendations? Also in the online seat selector map for Emirates I see the seats that are marked in blue say - "disabled accessible". These seats are open and I am able to select them. I am not disabled..so how does that work?

Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
I am not sure how it boards, so will let others answer that. But if you believe the flight will be empty enough to have your own row, then certainly overhead bin space should not be an issue.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by bhavik23
Hi Friends,

I will be flying the LAX-DXB route in couple of weeks and I have picked the seat 84C for now. I am guessing that since it is the off-season, the flight will not be that full and if I am lucky I can get the entire row to myself since it's the back of the plane.

Does anyone know the boarding order on this flight from LAX? Is it front to back...or back to front? I am worried that since I am all the way at the back, I will the last to board and there is a chance of running out of overhead bin space.

Any recommendations? Also in the online seat selector map for Emirates I see the seats that are marked in blue say - "disabled accessible". These seats are open and I am able to select them. I am not disabled..so how does that work?

Thanks!
LAX was traditionally back to front to with the 77W; however with that said, it was very ineffective back when EK used the older section of TBIT. I'm not sure when you're thinking of flying, but the N. American loads generally remain quite strong for the first few weeks into January.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CaptainEKAirbus
LAX was traditionally back to front to with the 77W; however with that said, it was very ineffective back when EK used the older section of TBIT. I'm not sure when you're thinking of flying, but the N. American loads generally remain quite strong for the first few weeks into January.
I am flying out from LAX on 16th January and am taking the flight EK 216. Currently the last 2 cabins on the main deck are showing lot of (60-70%) seats open. I am not sure if that is common. It might be...most people will probably pick seats when they check in?

If I pick a seat towards the end..is there a stronger possibility of getting a full row to myself?

Also do you know if I can just take 1 cabin bag? I have read reviews where people said they were asked to put their laptop bag in their other carry on suit case and if it did not fit, they were asked to check in 1 bag. Emirates website does say that they allow only 1 carry on bag for economy passengers.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whimike
I am not sure how it boards, so will let others answer that. But if you believe the flight will be empty enough to have your own row, then certainly overhead bin space should not be an issue.
I hope the flight stays empty..Currently the 2 cabins in the back have lots of seats open. I am not sure if that is common. The flight is less than 2 weeks away now. Maybe most people pick seats during the check in process.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: Platinum : Amex | Gold : EK Bonvoy Carlson Hilton
Open seats in Change Seat view doesn't mean the flight is empty... OLCI can pre-assign the whole plane the day before flying
And some time, you can see a turtleback of seat pre-assigned that go free 1 day before, like a whole group of greyhead has gone missing
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thanh Viet
Open seats in Change Seat view doesn't mean the flight is empty... OLCI can pre-assign the whole plane the day before flying
And some time, you can see a turtleback of seat pre-assigned that go free 1 day before, like a whole group of greyhead has gone missing
Ah, I see! So I guess I will keep checking the seats.

Also, I am still on the BLUE Tier status and I don't think I have enough tier/skywards miles for an upgrade. I have taken four emirates flights in the past and that was in late 2011...early 2012. LAX-DXB-MUM and back. I will try asking for an upgrade during check in but I am not sure it they will oblige.

Do you think they will entertain my request to block the entire middle row for me in Y class if the flight is not full so that I can sleep lying flat for some time in the 16 hour flight!?

Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:20 pm

Location: London, England, UK, Europe, The World, The Universe

Also, I am still on the BLUE Tier status and I don't think I have enough tier/skywards miles for an upgrade. I have taken four emirates flights in the past and that was in late 2011...early 2012. LAX-DXB-MUM and back. I will try asking for an upgrade during check in but I am not sure it they will oblige.

Do you think they will entertain my request to block the entire middle row for me in Y class if the flight is not full so that I can sleep lying flat for some time in the 16 hour flight!?

Thanks!
Highly doubt that. I think you just need to be lucky.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Originally Posted by Thanh Viet

Thanks!
Have never had them block for me (gold) so I rate your chance as zero.

But if there empty seats the back is where they will be so go for the back, board early, talk to the crew and see how full the flight is and if it isn't full, squat in a row and move as they fill up and you might get lucky (on the other hand I got moved from a broken seat and the people who had earmarked the empty seat I was given (one of three empty seats in a centre block) did not look happy). I usually talk to the crew when I board and don't get problems doing this.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

Thanks!
Have to say I would be truly amazed if they did this - regardless of current booking patterns.

The vast majority of EK flights end up going out with full or near-full loads in Y, even sectors/dates where conventional wisdom might lead you to think the opposite might be the case. There's one helluva lot of people moving around in this big wide world ......!

Perhaps more realistic to assume the cabin will be full, select the best seat you can ; and any other benefit that transpires on the day is a bonus .......
Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1MM
I just flew A380 in the peak xmas/new year time from LAX-DXB-LAX. Every single seat was occupied but there was plenty of overhead space. There are EK staff standing in the jetways trying to take larger cabin baggage for baggage check-in by force. I saw one guy arguing that he wanted to take his bag in but they didn't budge.

The boarding zones are C, D, E, F, G, H and I have boarded in G with plenty of space available.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 11:09 pm

I am flying out from LAX on 16th January and am taking the flight EK 216. Currently the last 2 cabins on the main deck are showing lot of (60-70%) seats open. I am not sure if that is common. It might be...most people will probably pick seats when they check in?

If I pick a seat towards the end..is there a stronger possibility of getting a full row to myself?
I would not count on the flight only being about 30-40% full, pick a seat where you will be comfortable, the flights to N. America are still very full!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tashi
I just flew A380 in the peak xmas/new year time from LAX-DXB-LAX. Every single seat was occupied but there was plenty of overhead space. There are EK staff standing in the jetways trying to take larger cabin baggage for baggage check-in by force. I saw one guy arguing that he wanted to take his bag in but they didn't budge.

The boarding zones are C, D, E, F, G, H and I have boarded in G with plenty of space available.
Thanks for that information!

I will keep my cabin bag small. Did they allow a separate backpack for a laptop? I have read that in Y they allow only 1 bag per person.

Is C zone the front of the plane...and G, I towards the back of the plane?

Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by subject2load
Have to say I would be truly amazed if they did this - regardless of current booking patterns.

The vast majority of EK flights end up going out with full or near-full loads in Y, even sectors/dates where conventional wisdom might lead you to think the opposite might be the case. There's one helluva lot of people moving around in this big wide world ......!

Perhaps more realistic to assume the cabin will be full, select the best seat you can ; and any other benefit that transpires on the day is a bonus .......
Yeah, I think so too..

Currently, I have taken an aisle seat in the middle row ( of 4) towards the back of the plane. No other seats in the row have been taken yet. I don't expect to get the entire row but even if I get the seat next to me open..I will be happy as that means some extra room to stretch the legs!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
And fingers crossed that if you DO end up with someone sitting immediately next to you, then it turns out to be someone whose company you ..... er ..... enjoy

Either way ..... best of luck and have a good trip !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.