Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates Business Class A380 compared to others

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2013, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Business Class.

Are other business class products on A380 planes better than Emirates?
Old Nov 22, 2013, 1:26 pm
formerly danblar

I prefer reverse herringbone J seats on planes - probably the best hard product in the game (doesn't exist on an A380 yet!). This goes without saying that EK is pretty up there, one complaint is that the seat is quite narrow in the upper region which can make for a tight sleep for those with broad shoulders and/or fatties.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
my answer will be from what i've seen in trip reports, and not in personal experience (will fly an a380 (ek) for the first time in January, and it will be in J). Emirates one Looks good, but as Danblar said, they are a bit narrow (supposedly fixed a bit in the new a380's). The one that is Impressively wide and big, are the SQ (Singapore ones). But if you're not just talking about the Hard product, Emirates has great service, the lounge is an amazing feature most airlines lack, etc.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
Probably the nicest thing on EK A380 J are the single seats (A and K), which are arranged with the mini-bar area on the outer side, which creates a nice secluded feel. It is almost like a private suite. The E and F seats are great for couples travelling together.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by JTXC
Probably the nicest thing on EK A380 J are the single seats (A and K), which are arranged with the mini-bar area on the outer side, which creates a nice secluded feel. It is almost like a private suite. The E and F seats are great for couples travelling together.
iirc, A,E,F,K seats have slightly longer leg room than B,D,G,J, noticeable in bed mode if you are around that height!
Old Nov 22, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
As above a and k are the best if single e and f if with the wife.

Seat is a little narrow for me... Make the bar by the seat smaller anyone to add an inch or two?

The bar is great at the back.

The service can be terrible and often is.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. When you look at Emirates Business class, it just looks outdated?? Say compared to Singapore's A380??
Old Nov 24, 2013, 12:49 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jamjaruk
Thanks for the replies. When you look at Emirates Business class, it just looks outdated?? Say compared to Singapore's A380??
Personally, I prefer the EK A380 J. Except for the wider seats, I feel that EK scores above SQ in:
1. Much more privacy, especially A and K seats.
2. A much better IFE.
3. Lounge/Social Area at the back.

These clinch it for me.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 2:50 am

Programs: EK, KL, AF, SQ
I think EK product holds up pretty well, ICE is a clincher for me. I really love the wide Singapore Airlines seats on the 380 however i have been told that they will be changed to a layout more similar to EK. The seat area is the same as EK but without a little bar it felt big enough to sit two adults to watch a movie.

Personally the bar adds nothing extra for me. but hey its personal.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 2:59 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by Aussie66
I think EK product holds up pretty well, ICE is a clincher for me. I really love the wide Singapore Airlines seats on the 380 however i have been told that they will be changed to a layout more similar to EK. The seat area is the same as EK but without a little bar it felt big enough to sit two adults to watch a movie.

Personally the bar adds nothing extra for me. but hey its personal.
I agree the bar doesn't add anything (unless it was chilled!) but the space is useful for personal items, drinks, snacks without having to have the table open.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Cheaper to fly with Emirates to Singapore too than direct with Singapore Airlines in business
Old Nov 24, 2013, 7:24 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I notice that BA are having big issues with service on their A380s. The first meal taking up to 3 hours, and then breakfast being started 2 hours before landing.

It was the same initially on EK.

The BA J class is just the same as their B747/B777. Consistent, but I feel they should have done something to improve.

The bar on the EK A380 is the clincher for me
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:49 am
Original Poster

They have business and economy on both floors on the A380... This could be one of the reasons.

I wonder why they did this??
Old Nov 24, 2013, 5:47 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Here's my verdict on the 380 in J on EK

Just about tolerable if you get a K seat but even then you feel as if you are in a coffin unless you are a pygmy. Horrible for couples in J as you are restricted to the E,F seats with neither getting a window view ( I agree that that would be the same situation in F but at least there is much more space).

You have to walk through almost the entire cabin and the bar area (which can be quite congested on some flights) to get to the toilets !!

Service is better than when they first started but not a patch on the 777's.

The only redeeming feature is the bar so that you can go and stretch your legs. ( You do need it as you have to stick your feet into a narrow area when you lie down.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: Emirates Platinum
After trying the SQ product, and loving it (SQ is my favourite airline), I still found myself gravitating back to The EK 380 on my trips to SIN. Once in A, E, F, K it feels fine.

I think the layout, though, has bad feng shui (I know, I know, new age nonsense). To the eye looking for order, you stand at the back looking at the cabin and it is chaos, and therefore feels cramped. It does not have a calming effect. The seat width is not an issue for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.