Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Are Emirates Customer Affairs normally this incompetent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are Emirates Customer Affairs normally this incompetent

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
A quick update on progress or lack of regarding my downgrade claim, 1st letter asking for compensation was ignored, 2nd letter saying if no compensation was received within 7 days i would start a claim through the courts ignored,so i have now started my court action, and one other point i have found out since we got home is that we were entitled to refund and also free business class round trip tickets contrary to what we were told at Dublin check in, will update again when/if Emirates get back to us.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Plat(Soon to be gold), HHonors Silver, Amex Gold
Thanks for the update, look forward to hearing what becomes
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
They are hopeless - still waiting for a reply to my complaint and DH waiting for a reply to his more than 34 days later.
They never used to be this bad - what's happened to them?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by red duster
A quick update on progress or lack of regarding my downgrade claim, 1st letter asking for compensation was ignored, 2nd letter saying if no compensation was received within 7 days i would start a claim through the courts ignored,so i have now started my court action, and one other point i have found out since we got home is that we were entitled to refund and also free business class round trip tickets contrary to what we were told at Dublin check in, will update again when/if Emirates get back to us.
I sent off my letter last week regarding my downgrade claim. According to the tracking data it has arrived in Dubai but not yet delivered. I will let you know if they contact me.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:35 am
Original Poster

My reply below from Emirates, not even going to respond to them as its with the courts now.

I refer to your correspondence regarding compensation under legislation EC261.

Our records show that you were downgraded from First Class to Business Class on flight EK 162 from Dublin to Dubai on 17th December 2013 due to an aircraft change for operational reasons. Your booking history shows that you were notified of this in October 2013.

You were aware that we had cancelled your booking for travel in First Class well in advance and had the downgraded booking class (i.e. Business Class), not been acceptable to you, then you had the option to cancel the reservation and have your tickets refunded and any cancellation charges would have been waived.

Passengers who are informed more than 14 days before the scheduled time of departure are not entitled to compensation under EC legislation.

This was not a situation where you were downgraded due to overbooking on the day of travel and you were notified at the airport.

I am unable to meet your request to offer you compensation under legislation EC 261/2004.

Thank you for allowing me to provide you with Emirates final position.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you travel in business class, then you will be entitled to 75% of fare ( and taxes/charges ) paid in compensation.
A inquiry from a relative newbie: is this 75% refund of fare a policy of Emirates specifically or other airlines flying into EU have something similar? It sounds reasonable when I hear of it.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My reply below from Emirates, not even going to respond to them as its with the courts now..
Bon chance. The email from Emirates nicely helps your case since it is Emirates confirming the downgrade

That you were informed 14 days before is irrelevent to downgrades
Old Feb 16, 2014, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by LifeontheBeach
A inquiry from a relative newbie: is this 75% refund of fare a policy of Emirates specifically or other airlines flying into EU have something similar? It sounds reasonable when I hear of it.
basically

It applies to all flights departing from the EU

It applies to flights to the EU operated by an EU airline

For Emirates's flights, those from the EU are covered ( e.g. LHR-DXB ) but not those to the EU

( there are some other cases that apply , but this is a general overview )
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I have sent in 2 status match requests, and neither was answered.

I think they have grown so fast they can not handle the operation any longer. 1 1/2 hours to check a bag in DXB? Totally incompetent and rude agents in DXB, all on their cellphones texting with massive lines, only concerned with breaks rather than serving the customer.

My unscientific review while sitting in the airport also indicates their flights rarely operate on time.

Too bad, used to be a really good airline. Might have to try QR.

Last edited by dilbertsdaddy; Feb 20, 2014 at 6:49 am
Old Sep 10, 2014, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Just an update to this, Claim has been dismissed. Just goes to show EU rules mean nothing.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 4:10 am

on what grounds was the claim dismissed?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Letter from court does not state reason, just says It is ordered that Claim dismissed.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 5:39 am

Letter from court does not state reason, just says It is ordered that Claim dismissed.
Did you not attend the court?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 5:50 am
Original Poster

No i was unable to attend (neither did Emirates) due to work which was explained to the court during process, i have written to the court for reasons of dismissal.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:53 am

No i was unable to attend (neither did Emirates) due to work which was explained to the court during process, i have written to the court for reasons of dismissal.
If you had attended and put your case forward together with a copy of the Eu261 regulation, I suspect that you would have won , especially with EK not being there to try and argue anything against it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.