Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 30, 13, 1:01 pm   #61
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by edy4eva View Post
As an observation: I searched for SYD-DXB and got 180AED for taxes and fees, the other way around comes in at 274AUD. Could it be they've implemented the fuel surcharge ex-AU itineraries already?
Yes, they introduced these a month ago.

http://www.traveldaily.com.au/news/t...rcharges/90879
ft101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 13, 4:12 pm   #62
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: CBR or EK's 02E
Programs: EK Gold, VA Gold, BA Bronze, QF Bronze, ME Blue
Posts: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
Yes, they introduced these a month ago.

http://www.traveldaily.com.au/news/t...rcharges/90879
That doesn't make any sense, the fuel surcharges that I saw do not align with any of the ones mentioned on that page and are for paid tickets not awards.
edy4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 13, 4:17 pm   #63
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 24,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by edy4eva View Post
That doesn't make any sense, the fuel surcharges that I saw do not align with any of the ones mentioned on that page and are for paid tickets not awards.
There have been fuel fines ex AU for a while. That web page linked to is quite old - That "breaking news" broke in Feb 12

Looking at paid one way SYD-DXB in business or 1st class there is a $200 fuel surcharge plus taxes of $81. In economy the surcharge is $60

for a r/t ticket there is a surcharge each way

Originating in DXB, there is no surcharge for DXB-SYD either one way or return

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 30, 13 at 4:29 pm.
Dave Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 13, 6:15 pm   #64
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Birmingham UK
Programs: skywards Gold, Krisflyer
Posts: 41
New fuel surcharges

Just logged in To Emirates. Tried BHX-DXB-SGN return economy. Result 85.40 or 11,831 miles extra for a reward saver ticket. Checked non-reward flights and no increase in price at all!!!!!
What a rip and a slap in the face for FFs.

Last edited by philduck; Mar 30, 13 at 6:23 pm.
philduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 13, 1:36 am   #65
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,045
Is anyone able to access an Upgrade Reward to check if the YQ is being added to these?

It seems to me that Upgrade Rewards have disappeared from the website for now (along with some flight options) so I suppose it takes a while to get everything aligned.
ft101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 13, 1:56 am   #66
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DXB
Programs: EK Gold, Jumeirah Sirius Silver
Posts: 100
I have checked and VIE-DXB upgrade is still 25k miles on my flex ticket and 0 Taxes & Fees.
Gringuito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 13, 4:13 am   #67
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Programs: Skywards Gold, Etihad Gold
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
Is anyone able to access an Upgrade Reward to check if the YQ is being added to these?

It seems to me that Upgrade Rewards have disappeared from the website for now (along with some flight options) so I suppose it takes a while to get everything aligned.
Same problem was going to upgrade DXB-SIN, SIN-MEL (Y flex ticket) yesterday, but when I went back online last night they were upgrading the Emirates site. Tried today and both upgrades have now disappeared.
lightyear40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 13, 3:58 am   #68
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 152
I've also checked upgrades for my incoming flights and it still can be upgraded without additional fee.
Krzystos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 13, 4:01 am   #69
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: BOM
Programs: EK Plat
Posts: 2,000
Good to finally get the confo that upgrades were spared the fuel surcharge. I personally think that reward tickets aren't that much of a value as using miles for upgrades is.
jackiedada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 13, 6:43 am   #70
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: West Coast, USA
Programs: Skywards Platinum
Posts: 2,579
Just ran a quick check.

JFK-DXB return in Y is $160 in fuel surcharge. JFK-DXB outbound F, inbound J, is $460 in fuel surcharge.
whimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 13, 12:15 am   #71
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Exile
Posts: 13,358
The new Emirates "carrier imposed charges" (~$600) on a reward ticket from ACC-BOM-ACC is just a few dollars lower than the total price of an Egyptair ticket on that route.
B747-437B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 13, 7:41 am   #72
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 12
Included in that email about fuel surcharges on redemptions, I was advised that to align with Qantass they are increasing the mileage accumulation for flights to/from Aust. but also increasing the number of miles needed for reward redemptions, and that you should use your miles before 1 July. Well I have quite a number of miles accumulated but I have no travel plans before 1 July, and so my miles are going to be effectively devalued by, in my estimate, 30%. Thanks very much Emirates. Another kick in the face to a loyal frequent flyer.
soloman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 13, 12:37 pm   #73
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 24,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloman1 View Post
Included in that email about fuel surcharges on redemptions, I was advised that to align with Qantass they are increasing the mileage accumulation for flights to/from Aust. but also increasing the number of miles needed for reward redemptions, and that you should use your miles before 1 July. Well I have quite a number of miles accumulated but I have no travel plans before 1 July, and so my miles are going to be effectively devalued by, in my estimate, 30%. Thanks very much Emirates. Another kick in the face to a loyal frequent flyer.
Are you using points for travel originating in Australia? If not, then you are not affected

For travel originating in Australia, points earning is at the new rates as are redemptions. For travel originating elsewhere, then the current earning/redemption rates apply

If you do need to use miles for travel originating in Australia, then indeed, there is a loss

e.g. fly DXB-SYD-DXB , the old rates apply whereas SYD-DXB-SYD, the new ones apply

If you can plan travel such that paid travel originates in Australia, but redemptions originate elsewhere, you can come out ahead
Dave Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 13, 10:44 pm   #74
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 12
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Are you using points for travel originating in Australia? If not, then you are not affected.....................(repetition deleted)
If you can plan travel such that paid travel originates in Australia, but redemptions originate elsewhere, you can come out ahead
BRILLIANT! Thanks for the tip. I hope that they do not read this hehe!
soloman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 13, 1:02 am   #75
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dubai, UAE
Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Posts: 1,183
Is it just me or when you try to book a rewards flight it defaults to showing you the miles cost to cover the carrier imposed charges and no amount of clicking on the option to pay these charges with cash changes anything?
mrtdxb is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 9:59 pm.