Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading Question!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2013, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Upgrading Question!

HI everyone,
I have been trying for a couple of weeks to upgrade with miles from DXB-JFK on the 5th April on the EK203 for 2 pax.
I have contacted EK and they have advised me that reward tickets have been used up however there are seats in J Class available. I checked flightstats and I see this: (14 Seats free?)

J/7 C/7 I/0 O/0

Now my question:
1) If I check in Online first in Y can I change this later at the Airport?
2) Can I upgrade at check in OR in Transit in Dubai?

I just find it so hard to use my points with EK at the moment!

Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:14 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ekgoldmember
I checked flightstats and I see this: (14 Seats free?)
J/7 C/7 I/0 O/0
No, that only means that there are at most 7 seats that can be sold as either J or C inventory.

1) If I check in Online first in Y can I change this later at the Airport?
Yes.

2) Can I upgrade at check in OR in Transit in Dubai?
Yes. Also since you are Gold with EK (I assume?), you can even upgrade yourself inside the a/c if seats are available; though, ime, J on DXB-JFK typically goes full.

I just find it so hard to use my points with EK at the moment!
So true!
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackiedada
No, that only means that there are at most 7 seats that can be sold as either J or C inventory.

Yes.

Yes. Also since you are Gold with EK (I assume?), you can even upgrade yourself inside the a/c if seats are available; though, ime, J on DXB-JFK typically goes full.

So true!
I am actually a silver but will be back to Gold after this trip. Does this mean with the 7 seats if they are not sold will they change this to upgradeable so we can use miles?
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:53 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
I reckon EK201 has more seats and thus a higher chance for D class to be released. Can you take the later flight to JFK? Means more time in the new lounge

Set up an alert on ExpertFlyer.com and then see what happens. If it doesnt come thru prior to departure, ask at the lounge and then ask at the gate. Make sure everyone knows you want to use miles and you are on the list - also call several times and see if an agent can do anything.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eightblack
I reckon EK201 has more seats and thus a higher chance for D class to be released. Can you take the later flight to JFK? Means more time in the new lounge

Set up an alert on ExpertFlyer.com and then see what happens. If it doesnt come thru prior to departure, ask at the lounge and then ask at the gate. Make sure everyone knows you want to use miles and you are on the list - also call several times and see if an agent can do anything.
Well I need to be on the EK203 as it arrives at 830am and lots to do that day. Then again the 203 is always delayed every day with the worst performance lets see when i land in Dubai. However appreciate your help
Old Apr 3, 2013, 12:30 am

Yes. Also since you are Gold with EK (I assume?), you can even upgrade yourself inside the a/c if seats are available;
Since the 1st April changes, all Skywards members can now upgrade at check in so get there early for first chance at this.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by eightblack
I reckon EK201 has more seats and thus a higher chance for D class to be released.
EB, from 1-Jan, EK203 has been upguaged to a daily A380 service so the number of J seats is identical on both flights. Though from personal experience, 201 tends to be a J/F heavy flight while 203 tends to be a Y heavy flight.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 2:16 am

I am actually a silver but will be back to Gold after this trip. Does this mean with the 7 seats if they are not sold will they change this to upgradeable so we can use miles?
If the seats remain unsold, then EK opens up the upgrade inventory typically 24-48 hours prior to departure. Keep checking and good luck!
Old Apr 3, 2013, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Since the 1st April changes, all Skywards members can now upgrade at check in so get there early for first chance at this.
And just in case you don't get an upgrade at checkin and by chance someone doesn not turn up in J, since you are a silver member you can always go and ask the Purser to upgrade you inside the flight itself (its a trifle more expensive than upgrading via call center). Here is the skywards membership benefits chart - see "On Board".
http://www.emirates.com/english/Skyw...-benefits.aspx

Last edited by jackiedada; Apr 3, 2013 at 6:05 am Reason: Typo
Old Apr 3, 2013, 2:40 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
EB, from 1-Jan, EK203 has been upguaged to a daily A380 service so the number of J seats is identical on both flights. Though from personal experience, 201 tends to be a J/F heavy flight while 203 tends to be a Y heavy flight.
Yes, I do realise that but I can see how I wasnt clear. A little bird told me that actual load on both flights and I reckon if it was me, I would take the 201
Old Apr 3, 2013, 4:21 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards, IHG Rewards Club
(its a trifle more expensive than upgrading at checkin).
So how much more it is?
Is it limited only by free places on the airplane? (and the same for upgrade at check-in??)
Old Apr 3, 2013, 5:52 am

. . . (its a trifle more expensive than upgrading at checkin).
Are you sure? I've never heard of this before.

The only time I've seen Award Upgrades being more expensive is when one upgrades individual legs rather than a complete journey.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Are you sure? I've never heard of this before.

The only time I've seen Award Upgrades being more expensive is when one upgrades individual legs rather than a complete journey.
Sorry, my mistake. I still assumed that there was the online discount when booking upgrades through the website but that has long expired.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Sorry, my mistake. I still assumed that there was the online discount when booking upgrades through the website but that has long expired.
There was no discount for upgrades, only for redemptions (unless it was 3-4 years ago?)
Old Apr 3, 2013, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by ung1
There was no discount for upgrades, only for redemptions (unless it was 3-4 years ago?)
See post #4 here.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...-upgrades.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.