Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

"Terror at 27,000 feet" ... A380 Emergency door almost opened

"Terror at 27,000 feet" ... A380 Emergency door almost opened

Old Feb 16, 2013, 9:51 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
This thread is being temporarily closed, pending review and pending official comment from EK.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:50 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Emirates airline: A380 doors did not open

Emirates airline issued a statement assuring the public that no lives were at risk during an Emirates flight between Bangkok and Hong Kong on Monday, February 11.

The statement was made in response to a passenger interviewed in the UK media who claimed that a door had opened on an Emirates A380 airbus at 27,000 feet.

"At no time during the flight did one of the upper deck doors open," said an Emirates spokesperson.

"There was also no loss in cabin pressurisation at any time during the flight."
The whistling heard by the passenger was caused by a small difference between the inflated door and the lower frame striker plate when the door was closed. Blankets were placed around the door to stop the whistling.

"This is currently under investigation in conjunction with Airbus," said the spokesperson. "Emirates have now fixed the problem."

Read more: http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...s-did-not-open
Old Feb 17, 2013, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
People and the news media especially the DM over exaggerate. Common sense dictates that if the door opened then lots of people would have been sucked out sin e every passenger landed safely at their destination then blame the DM for the hyper ness. Hype sells newspapers.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 5:06 am

Programs: CX gold
I do not believe it is a strong article in the DM, but then again, seeing pictures of a door of a A380 covered up with towels and blankets is also not "normal" standards on a brand new, high tech plane!" I believe that the truth is lying somewhere in the middle. When the cabin crew are "stuffing" the doors, something was not 100% conform with a standard door procedures.

Safe travels everyone

TT
Old Feb 17, 2013, 6:02 am

Programs: QR Gold, EK, Accor, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold VIP, Delta
As an aircraft(military) technician, I would suspect that there is a door seal that inflates after the door is closed. I would venture to guess that the seal may have been misshapen, punctured or torn and not making a complete seal. If you dont have a complete seal, you may have a slight loss of cabin pressure but not enough where the environmental control systems couldnt keep up with. The sounds may be dramatic, but I think there is a lot of over exaggeration by the original article.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by Globalist
2. As mentioned door opens inwards and can not open in flight because the pressure inside the plane is higher than outside.
Are you sure? I'm looking at some photos and the doors seem to open to the outside.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
I was delayed in December for 5 hours MAN-DXB because of a faulty rear door in Y - they had to offload 39 pax and baggage.
Maybe a problem with the A380 though probably one offs.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:11 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by aster
Are you sure? I'm looking at some photos and the doors seem to open to the outside.
I'm not sure, but they normally come inwards first.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Marriot Rewards Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Honors, Etihad Guest Gold, SAA Voyager,
I was on a DXB-JED flight last year on the A380 in J and a similar (probably) thing happened.

The load in J was light and they moved all the pax from the rear cabin up to the front. I asked the FA what the problem was and was told that ''there was a slight noise disturbance, nothing to worry about.''

Another FA did have a slightly more worried look.

But I heard nothing, saw nothing, and we were about to descend at the time so actually forgot about this incident.

Last edited by Joe_EK; Feb 18, 2013 at 12:12 am
Old Feb 17, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: EK Skywards Platinum; Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I had the same problem on a flight (a380) from JFK-DXB last month. It was a very loud "buzzing sound" which came on right after some very heavy turbulence (the sound was like a stuck motor). Looking at the picture, it looks like the same door (maybe even the same aircraft). Blankets were put around the door, just like in the picture, and the sound got less after an hour or two, and completely went off on the third hour or so.

Yes it was a bit scary, since any loud buzzing sound on a pressurized aircraft is scary, but we got home in one piece.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 2:08 pm

> But certainly doors cannot open inflight; pressurization simply does not allow it.

It depends. Most (not all) airliners use plug-type doors. As you correctly note,
they cannot open in-flight ... unless there is a major structural failure in the
door or door frame. I do not know what type of door the A380 uses.

The F100 does not use a plug-type door. To me, it was an odd engineering
decision. Dunno if any USA airlines are still operating the Big Motor Fokker.

Whenever a door seal fails; all sorts of noises are possible. The air packs will
have no trouble whatsoever keeping the cabin pressurized if a door seal fails.

Last edited by dranz; Feb 17, 2013 at 2:18 pm
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:05 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
What kind of door would this be: http://www.flickr.com/photos/a380spotter/4725396460/
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:12 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
What was the aircraft in question? I was trying to look it up and it seemed like it was A6-EDT? Whatever fault was seem to have been repaired locally at HKG and the aircraft continued operations as normal subsequently.....
Old Feb 18, 2013, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by aster
A French Door Non?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by torontoflyer
I had the same problem on a flight (a380) from JFK-DXB last month. It was a very loud "buzzing sound" which came on right after some very heavy turbulence (the sound was like a stuck motor). Looking at the picture, it looks like the same door (maybe even the same aircraft). Blankets were put around the door, just like in the picture, and the sound got less after an hour or two, and completely went off on the third hour or so.

Yes it was a bit scary, since any loud buzzing sound on a pressurized aircraft is scary, but we got home in one piece.
It happened again on EK 241 DXB-YYZ 2/18 about 2 hours into a 14 hour flight.
Cabin crew acted like they had seen it before with immediate use of blankets.
Captain told us that sound was from metal on the outside of the door and that the seal was intact. He said no safety issue but the event would be logged. Buzzing was reduced after a while but became very loud again during descent.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.