Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

DXB-JFK points upgrade. What are my chances?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:26 am
Original Poster

I booked a vacation package via Expedia and upon calling Emirates, I was told that I can only upgrade 24 hours before the flight if I'm using points to upgrade.

But what are the chances that I'll be able to upgrade 2 seats from Economy to Business? Are business class seats usually sold out/upgraded early? Also, is there a way to check seat availability online?

I'm flying in May so this gives me a chance to rack up the necessary points, but I'm not sure if I should go through with AOR, MS, etc and then find out that no upgrades are available.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:30 am

Yes can check on expertflyer.com for any D bucket upgrades
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamjaruk
Yes can check on expertflyer.com for any D bucket upgrades
Thanks, I'll take a look.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
D class availability on the JFK route is very hard to get unless you book fairly well in advance.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by jackiedada
D class availability on the JFK route is very hard to get unless you book fairly well in advance.
OP stated he was informed that he can only upgrade 24 hours before departure, strongly implying he has one of those upgrade-restricted saver fares, in which case D class availability is relatively moot, considering that if there are spare seats during check-in, they will (generally) be happy to accept cash or miles at the airport for last minute upgrades, operational reasons permitting.

kvs25, if you do have one of these fares, then it is extremely unlikely that you will be allowed to upgrade using points only if D class availability opens up - you would be asked to pay to a higher fare class that allows pre-check in upgrades, pay the change fee and any other taxes applicable, and *then* process the upgrade. On the other hand, if the flight has available seats in J when it comes to check-in, head to the airport early and you may be in luck to get a points upgrade there. Not guaranteed though.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
OP stated he was informed that he can only upgrade 24 hours before departure, strongly implying he has one of those upgrade-restricted saver fares, in which case D class availability is relatively moot, considering that if there are spare seats during check-in, they will (generally) be happy to accept cash or miles at the airport for last minute upgrades, operational reasons permitting.

kvs25, if you do have one of these fares, then it is extremely unlikely that you will be allowed to upgrade using points only if D class availability opens up - you would be asked to pay to a higher fare class that allows pre-check in upgrades, pay the change fee and any other taxes applicable, and *then* process the upgrade. On the other hand, if the flight has available seats in J when it comes to check-in, head to the airport early and you may be in luck to get a points upgrade there. Not guaranteed though.
What's the difference between D and J?

Unfortunately, I do have the upgrade-restricted tickets. The rep on the phone wouldn't tell me what's available and she said I can only find out online, 24 hours before departure.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 5:09 pm

D is the bucket from where upgrades come from for business class
J is referred to as business class, Y is Economy and F is first.

You can check availability of tickets via expertflyer.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: EK Silver, CX Gold, SQ Silver, EY Gold
Originally Posted by kvs25
What's the difference between D and J?

Unfortunately, I do have the upgrade-restricted tickets. The rep on the phone wouldn't tell me what's available and she said I can only find out online, 24 hours before departure.
Kvs25 - If it makes you feel better I have a Flex ticket and still cant upgrade using my points. I fly on Sat and was told by Emirates that I'll be able to upgrade when i check in if there is availability which is the same as a Saver ticket.
I understood that a Flex ticket gave me more reward seat possibilities but apparently not.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 2:15 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
OP stated he was informed that he can only upgrade 24 hours before departure, strongly implying he has one of those upgrade-restricted saver fares, in which case D class availability is relatively moot, considering that if there are spare seats during check-in, they will (generally) be happy to accept cash or miles at the airport ...
Op doesn't have to wait for airport check-in to open, typically 3.5-4 hours prior - he can upgrade the moment online check-in opens, 24 hours prior to his scheduled departure.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 3:17 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Be aware that if you try to upgrade at T-24, it will attempt to take all the points from your account. So, if you are trying to upgrade 2 tickets, your need enough points for both in your account.

Phoning may not be an option either, as there are reports that agents aren't able to process the upgrade.

The only other option is to attempt to upgrade at the airport.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by jackiedada
Op doesn't have to wait for airport check-in to open, typically 3.5-4 hours prior - he can upgrade the moment online check-in opens, 24 hours prior to his scheduled departure.
Sorry yes, I did mean check-in for the flight as a whole, not specifically check-in desks at the airport. Although, I think some outstations with multiple flights you can check-in any time within the 24 hour window, iirc. Only tried that a while ago, at LGW and BKK though.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Petsar68
Kvs25 - If it makes you feel better I have a Flex ticket and still cant upgrade using my points. I fly on Sat and was told by Emirates that I'll be able to upgrade when i check in if there is availability which is the same as a Saver ticket.
I understood that a Flex ticket gave me more reward seat possibilities but apparently not.
You do have more possibility! It's minuscule as opposed to none! I suppose those of us that buy (have to buy) flex tickets must console ourselves with the lower upgrade with miles cost and tier miles...
Old Dec 31, 2013, 9:52 am
Original Poster

The wife and I essentially need 115K miles to upgrade from econ to business 1-way, so that's a tall order to get those points. But I think it can be done within a few months via SPG and AMEX MR points transfer.

I think I'll go ahead and try to get those points; hopefully there are 2 seats available for that flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.