FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   No waitlist possible (not even for Gold members)? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1408294-no-waitlist-possible-not-even-gold-members.html)

San Gottardo Nov 17, 2012 10:34 am

No waitlist possible (not even for Gold members)?

Trying to book a flight which has zero availability in my cabin (in no fare class whatsoever). I asked to be put on waitlist - the agent declined.

So I cannot even be put on a waiting list? I mean, it doesn't engage them to anything, it's my problem if the flight doesn't open up. Also, I am surprised that even as a gold member I cannot be put on the waiting list (let alone get what I would get from other airlines, which is a confirmed booking when calling >48 hours ahead).

Is there an error or is this just lame?

Thanks for any info

JTXC Nov 17, 2012 10:52 am

Is it full in your preferred cabin, or is the whole flight full? It may be the case that they cannot waitlist in the latter situation. Is it possible to book that route on another flight, either that day or one day earlier or later, and then check with them later if you can change the booking?

eightblack Nov 17, 2012 11:05 am

Where are you flying from? And when? Did you call back after you spoke with the first agent? What is the fare type you want to book on?

I've always found EK to be pretty good about clearing waitlists or having the ability to be able to put on a waitlist.

Provide some more detail and we might be able to shed some light or help...

GigoloArt Nov 17, 2012 12:00 pm

Sure, I thought that's normal. On many intra-Gulf flights, at most those at the beginning and end of the work week, flights are closed, i.e. you cannot even WL. But yes, it does open up again. If you have an agent that keeps monitoring it helps.

B747-437B Nov 17, 2012 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by San Gottardo (Post 19700662)

The latter.

Common issue. Keep checking back every hour or so.

Dave Noble Nov 17, 2012 10:08 pm

There are 3 states a booking class can be in iirc, these are open ( 1+ available ) , waitlist and closed

If the class is in a waitlist state, then a person can be added to a waitlist ( as long as the fare allows for waitlisting - not all fares do )

If the class is closed then no one can be added to a waitlist

It could be an error or it could just be that the waitlist has been closed

EK Captive Nov 17, 2012 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by San Gottardo (Post 19700662)
Trying to book a flight which has zero availability in my cabin (in no fare class whatsoever). I asked to be put on waitlist - the agent declined.

So I cannot even be put on a waiting list? I mean, it doesn't engage them to anything, it's my problem if the flight doesn't open up. Also, I am surprised that even as a gold member I cannot be put on the waiting list (let alone get what I would get from other airlines, which is a confirmed booking when calling >48 hours ahead).

Thanks for any info

Ah yes ... the old "waitlist has been closed" issue. Happens all the time!! Very frustrating as it robs Gold members of the ability to get the front of the waitlist queue. Very bizarre!

Not sure if it is just another irrational Emirates policy or if they use an Atari 600XL for their reservation systems and hence have a limited number of waitlist slots!?!?!

In all seriousness, this policy is extremely poorly thought out, as it serves only to annoy customers, with no benefit whatsoever for EK. They could have a waitlist of a thousand passengers - the worst thing that can happen is that a large portion doesn't clear! Had quite a few conversations with the Gold desk about how absurd the concept of "closing the waitlist" is, but to no avail....

B747-437B Nov 18, 2012 12:01 am

To be fair, the reason waitlists are capped is partly because of the HUMONGOUS amount of fraud that occurs with travel agency bookings and waitlists.

That said, only a fool will close waitlists for profitable fare classes (any fare classes where yield >> cost). A proper nesting structure allows waitlists to be used very advantageously by the airline to maximise its revenue.

Dave Noble Nov 18, 2012 2:05 am

Originally Posted by EK Captive (Post 19703886)
Ah yes ... the old "waitlist has been closed" issue. Happens all the time!! Very frustrating as it robs Gold members of the ability to get the front of the waitlist queue. Very bizarre!

Nothing bizarre about it, it is a normal practice at many (most?) airlines