Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Flying into JFK with Hurricane Sandy

Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK, Shebamiles, BAEC

I'm flying into JFK on EK201 when Hurricane Sandy is supposed to make landfall and a bit concerned ...

Has anyone out there flown into a predicted major storm? What usually happens during hurricanes for long-haul flights? Will we our flight be delayed out of DXB? or re-routed or cancelled?

many thanks for your help!
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:17 am

I did it once on a VN flight, into a Typhoon.(i think hurricans typhoons and cyclones are all similar just named differently in different parts of the world) seat belt on for the whole flight and all the FAs strapped in as well. It really was a bumpy ride.

My guess is that they will ere on the side of health and safety in the US so I would go with the delayed or diverted, not a bad option considering. One or two underpants may have been required a change after that VN flight.

Last edited by ayeaway; Oct 27, 2012 at 8:32 am Reason: Change cyclone to typhoon
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you check the websites of carriers with a major presence at JFK and other major East Coast airports, you will see that there are already weather rules in effect, trying to get pax to rebook at no penalty.

Standard plans for major US airports and by the carriers themselves call for not landing aircraft which will then be grounded in high winds and subject to damage.

I would not fly into the East Coast on Sunday-Tuesday in any event. Even if you are diverted to ORD, YUL or somesuch, it may take quite a while to find space to get ordinary mid-week O&D traffic plus diverted traffic back to the East Coast.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:02 am
Suspended

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
If they depart from DXB, and the weather is really bad when it's time to land, I assume they will divert. They might cancel before, but you cant be sure until it all starts here. I was supposed to fly to LA on Monday on DL, but I got that changed for free bc of the storm. I just got in on 203 this morning, so I don't have to worry about this thankfully. Last year, when Irene hit the east coast I was flying out to DXB, but the flight got cancelled. Anyway, tell us how everything works out for you! I check the flight statuses for fun during these storms anyway!

Good Luck,
-ek202
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Often1
If you check the websites of carriers with a major presence at JFK and other major East Coast airports, you will see that there are already weather rules in effect, trying to get pax to rebook at no penalty.

Standard plans for major US airports and by the carriers themselves call for not landing aircraft which will then be grounded in high winds and subject to damage.

I would not fly into the East Coast on Sunday-Tuesday in any event. Even if you are diverted to ORD, YUL or somesuch, it may take quite a while to find space to get ordinary mid-week O&D traffic plus diverted traffic back to the East Coast.
If EK 201 diverts to ORD, or anywhere, it will fly into JFK when it can from the diversion airport as EK 7 or 8201, or something like that. The pax will not have to find other flights as the AC needs to get to JFK to fly back to Dubai.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK, Shebamiles, BAEC
Thanks for your responses everyone, will let you know how I get on! It's a relief to know we'll eventually get to JFK and won't have to figure things out from ORD or somewhere else.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by likeabutterfly
Thanks for your responses everyone, will let you know how I get on! It's a relief to know we'll eventually get to JFK and won't have to figure things out from ORD or somewhere else.
Worst Case, and I don't know if this has happened- if they can't fly the EK jet into JFK for some odd reason, they will book you on flights to NY. But anyway, they need their AC at JFK to fly pax back home to Dubai.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards | Lufthansa Miles&Mores | Hilton HHonors
In the worst case they will either put you up in hotels until JFK is free again or they will organise alternative transport (flights or coach) to New York. At Dusseldorf, whenever the aircraft diverts to Cologne Bonn the passengers are carried by coach from Cologne to DUS and from DUS to the AC in Cologne, so the plane doesn't always necessarily have to continue to its original destination but EK will make sure you get there.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Last year after the cyclone season in the Indian Ocean ended and we were flying home MRU-DXB and on take off we were told we were in for a bumpy ride. The FA's had to remain belted up for the first 2.5hours of the flight. When we got home to the UK we realized we had flown through a named cyclone which EK never of course mentioned. Odd as out of season. Not a pleasant experience at all.
Not good that EK put us all through that and never explained why.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MucEKPer
In the worst case they will either put you up in hotels until JFK is free again or they will organise alternative transport (flights or coach) to New York. At Dusseldorf, whenever the aircraft diverts to Cologne Bonn the passengers are carried by coach from Cologne to DUS and from DUS to the AC in Cologne, so the plane doesn't always necessarily have to continue to its original destination but EK will make sure you get there.
I would think they need to get the AC to the original destination as they have a bunch of passengers without a plane that need to get to Dubai. I think it's easier to send the original plane to the orig dest, then having a positioning flight back to DXB and having another AC flown into JFK to get pax to Dubai.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 5:53 pm

Is the storm likely to have passed by Thursday? Flying to Logan Airport.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 6:05 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by likeabutterfly
I'm flying into JFK on EK201 when Hurricane Sandy is supposed to make landfall and a bit concerned ...

Has anyone out there flown into a predicted major storm? What usually happens during hurricanes for long-haul flights? Will we our flight be delayed out of DXB? or re-routed or cancelled?

many thanks for your help!
I'm on 201 today. Are you flying today ( Sunday) or tmrw. Today's flight should be no problem. I even have a connection to SFO (didn't want to take non stop). The storm might effect tmrws flights but not today's. If your on 201 this morning let me know. I'll be in the FCL around 6:30
Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I'm on 201 today. Are you flying today ( Sunday) or tmrw. Today's flight should be no problem. I even have a connection to SFO (didn't want to take non stop). The storm might effect tmrws flights but not today's. If your on 201 this morning let me know. I'll be in the FCL around 6:30
Are you flying to SFO tomorrow (Sunday) or Monday? I was supposed to fly to LAX on Mon but changed it to thurs bc of the hurricane. I don't think you should have a problem to SFO, except for the fact that its going to start raining early Sunday morning here in NY, getting moderately heavier as the day progresses. Luckily I got home to NY on 203 this morning, so I don't have to worry about this!
Good Luck!

-ek202
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by MucEKPer
In the worst case they will either put you up in hotels until JFK is free again or they will organise alternative transport (flights or coach) to New York.
Why would EK do this? Airlines do not have to provide hotel rooms when a flight irregularity is due to weather.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
Why would EK do this? Airlines do not have to provide hotel rooms when a flight irregularity is due to weather.
I am not sure if they have to but almost certain they will.

I have had it provided on many occasions by many different airlines once even when I missed a connecting flight from BMI to Air Malta because the runway was closed due to snow at Glasgow. BMI sorted out a hotel at Heathrow for me.

It is a regular thing to see a desk set up at the entrance to the Hilton at London Gatwick to check in pax for a delayed flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.