Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Please help- issue with date change

Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards gold

Hi Everyone,

I am having trouble changing my return date from mauritus to London Gatwick.

I booked a fully flex ticket and was under the impression that date changes are possible subject to seat availability. (See below)

I rang emirates in mauritus and was told that I booked a flex in different class of seats and therefore any changes for an economy seat will cost me Ł300.

Surely this cannot be right? How is this fair? The reason i ever booked flex was for the miles but also due to the fact that I was always under the impression that date changes cost the usual Ł75.

I really need to change my date for tonight or tomorrow, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

What is a ‘Skywards Saver’ fare?
A 'Skywards Saver' fare is any Emirates fare with either:
(a) eligibility restrictions (such as students; seniors; companions; etc)

(b) a limited sales period.(''must purchase by'' date)

(c) limited seat availability and restrictive conditions (such as change fees; min/max stay; flight restrictions or advance purchase)

All fares sold by other airlines, partly flown on Emirates, also fall into this category.
What are the earning fare types?
What is a ‘Skywards Flex’ fare?
A Skywards Flex fare is any Emirates fare with none of the above restrictions, i.e. no eligibility or purchase restrictions.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 1:27 am

Programs: Skywards, PIAAwards Plus Diamond, HHonours, SPG, IHG
Have you been asked for GBP 300 as change fees or as fare difference?

Sounds like EK is asking for a fare difference due to existence of multiple fare buckets within the Flex range. There are multiple fare buckets (W, Y etc) all of which are flex and you may have booked into the lowest flex fare which may not be available for the flight you want to change to.

The issue is worse if you have two sectors since both sectors have to be issued in the same fare bucket IMHO

Some ticketing guru here might be able to shed more light on this . . .
Old Aug 16, 2012, 1:30 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by NG09
Hi Everyone,

I am having trouble changing my return date from mauritus to London Gatwick.

I booked a fully flex ticket and was under the impression that date changes are possible subject to seat availability. (See below)

I rang emirates in mauritus and was told that I booked a flex in different class of seats and therefore any changes for an economy seat will cost me Ł300.

Surely this cannot be right? How is this fair? The reason i ever booked flex was for the miles but also due to the fact that I was always under the impression that date changes cost the usual Ł75.

I really need to change my date for tonight or tomorrow, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

What is a ‘Skywards Saver’ fare?
A 'Skywards Saver' fare is any Emirates fare with either:
(a) eligibility restrictions (such as students; seniors; companions; etc)

(b) a limited sales period.(''must purchase by'' date)

(c) limited seat availability and restrictive conditions (such as change fees; min/max stay; flight restrictions or advance purchase)

All fares sold by other airlines, partly flown on Emirates, also fall into this category.
What are the earning fare types?
What is a ‘Skywards Flex’ fare?
A Skywards Flex fare is any Emirates fare with none of the above restrictions, i.e. no eligibility or purchase restrictions.
Hi NG09, welcome to FT

The whole Skywards flex/saver only affects your earning of miles and is not directly linked to your fare conditions.

You need to have a look at your fare conditions to determine what the date change fees are. Another point to note is if the fare bucket you are booked into is not available and you need to be move into a higher fare bucket, the fare will increase accordingly. However, we can't determine what that amount is without knowing your booking details
Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:34 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
I have seen Flex fares with GBP 200 penalties before so 300 doesn't seem totally crazy.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I am a frequent flyer but by no means am I an expert with regards to class rules and fare buckets.

It all seems a little bit sneaky to me. I was not aware that flex had multiple ranges? Pardon my ignorance, but where/how would I know or be able to determine the difference within the flex range?

I guess you could say I booked this blindly and was satisfied with the flex option - unaware of the different levels in flex.

For common folk like myself, I feel all these fare classes and ticketing jargon is not very clear
Old Aug 16, 2012, 4:14 am
Zol

Thanks for your replies. I am a frequent flyer but by no means am I an expert with regards to class rules and fare buckets.

It all seems a little bit sneaky to me. I was not aware that flex had multiple ranges? Pardon my ignorance, but where/how would I know or be able to determine the difference within the flex range?

I guess you could say I booked this blindly and was satisfied with the flex option - unaware of the different levels in flex.

For common folk like myself, I feel all these fare classes and ticketing jargon is not very clear
If you look at your eticket at the bottom of the page you will see what looks like gibberish to the average Joe. That has your fare bucket and pricing details, post it here and someone will decipher it for you.

Also have a look at the fare conditions which are attached to the email you got with the eticket. That will determine the date change fee and other penalties if any
Old Aug 16, 2012, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks Zol!

I checked my eticket and got this:

LON EK X/DXB EK MRU571.75WLE1YGB4 EK X/DXB EK LON57 1.75WLE1YGB4 NUC1143.50 END ROE.638387
Old Aug 16, 2012, 5:27 am
Zol

Thanks Zol!

I checked my eticket and got this:

LON EK X/DXB EK MRU571.75WLE1YGB4 EK X/DXB EK LON57 1.75WLE1YGB4 NUC1143.50 END ROE.638387
You are on a W fare. Your issue is with the DXB-LON sectors....they are booked solid for the next 3 days hence why the fare differene, they are bumping you up to higher economy fares
Old Aug 16, 2012, 5:35 am
Original Poster

I don't know what W fare is, but thanks for your help in any case
Old Aug 16, 2012, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Zol
You are on a W fare. Your issue is with the DXB-LON sectors....they are booked solid for the next 3 days hence why the fare differene, they are bumping you up to higher economy fares
MRU-DXB also looks sold out over the next week (except for the odd Y here and there)
Old Sep 2, 2012, 9:28 am

Guys,

If you issue emirates tickets by cash, make sure that u read the fare rules and conditions.Revenue tickets have two categories FLEX and SAVER. Flex fare doesnt mean that it is free to change date.Only difference between Flex and Saver ticket is, if you are a skywards member you can "earn more miles" on flex tickets and thats the only advantage.There is no other difference between Flex and Saver tickets.

If you issue tickets using skywards points, two categories are there.Flex(need more miles) and Saver(need lesser miles). Flex tickets are 1 year valid and date change is free, Saver tickets are 3 months valid and 25 usd per changes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.