Emirates v Etihad

Subscribe
This has probably been done before but I can't seem to find anything on it.

I''ve just become Gold on Emirates after starting a lot of business class travel with work. I've got some personal holidays coming up so have been comparing the prices between Emirates and Etihad in economy as would ideally like to increase my Skywards miles. I've only flown Etihad once before to BKK and was impressed so I just wanted to query why Emirates prices seem to be so much higher than Etihad?

The 3 examples of trips planned I have are;

DXB/AUH - DME Emirates 2710 AED vs Etihad 1510 AED
DXB/AUH - BEY EMirates 1720 AED vs Etihad 1420 AED
DXB/AUH - China - multi destination - 3870 AED vs Etihad 2510 AED

So I see the benefit of lounge access etc at DXB being Gold with Emirates however my wife isn't so wouldn't be able to use it anyway.

Is there really anything worthwhile flying Emirates over Etihad for the signficant cost difference? I also note the Etihad flight timings are more favourable for us also. Do Emirates just assume people will use them for the miles etc? I just don't understand why it's quite a bit more expensive!
There is one clear advantage of flying EY was EK in Y, EY does not pack their B777 cabin with 10 seats across.

If you fly J, the EY hard product is a full flat bed although a little narrow, is better than EK. Also I have found EY service to be better but havent flown them since last November.
EK fills the bulk of it's seats with transit pax (as does EY, but my point is that fares ex-DXB are a small market segment). EK is bigger, has a wider network, and more flights, therefore it's preferred by many people, who are willing to pay a premium (or at least their employers are). Most people in Dubai wouldn't feel it is worth the trek to AUH to save a couple hundred bucks, though some of the fares you quoted are significantly different.

In your case though, doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to fly EK if EY suits you better.
The only advantage for me flying EK is their network, Non-stop daily flights from DXB to all over the world. But EY is far better in terms of service than EK, Their J product is way better than EK, never tried Y in EY so can't comment on that.
Try to do a status match to EY with EK and check it out. Then report back to us how it went!