EK Air Frame Delivery Info - 2012

Old May 11, 2012, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by EK433B77W
Just a heads up, A6-EDD has re-entered service.

Re-started her services operating UAE005 / UAE006 (DXB-LHR-DXB) on the 09th of May.

As for the other registrations (A6-EDI, A6-EDK and A6-EDL) required inspections are still ongoing.
Have heard that apparently the A380s are getting temporary fixes that last a limited number of cycles, and that they are predicting that the whole A380 wing root fix will have to happen again in six months time? That's pretty bad on Airbus' part not to have a permanent solution so far!
Old May 12, 2012, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by CaptainEKAirbus
Have heard that apparently the A380s are getting temporary fixes that last a limited number of cycles, and that they are predicting that the whole A380 wing root fix will have to happen again in six months time? That's pretty bad on Airbus' part not to have a permanent solution so far!
I think they are only getting an inspection, not a repair and the inspection is to be repeated every 100 cycles (it has been reported on here) so it is extremely likely to be repeated. The issue has only been known about for 4 months which is not long to design, test and manufacture an aircraft part.
Old May 12, 2012, 3:37 am

Programs: EK Gold
I noticed A6-EGO did DXB-BHX-DXB a couple of evenings ago for the evening EK37/38 flight.

Anyway, while it is still reasonably brand new in plane age, can anyone tell me what the cabin breakdown is like on the newer planes Emirates are having delivered? Are they all 3 class or 2 class on the 2012 deliveries (for 777's) or a mixture of both?
Old May 12, 2012, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards | SQ Krisflyer | VA Velocity | EY Guest | CX AsiaMiles
Originally Posted by RichL
I noticed A6-EGO did DXB-BHX-DXB a couple of evenings ago for the evening EK37/38 flight.

Anyway, while it is still reasonably brand new in plane age, can anyone tell me what the cabin breakdown is like on the newer planes Emirates are having delivered? Are they all 3 class or 2 class on the 2012 deliveries (for 777's) or a mixture of both?
All three class.
Old May 12, 2012, 6:05 am

When in Hamburg recently i was talking to my cousin who works for Lufthansa Technik. He was telling me wing root problem lies with the part that shows the cracks is to rigid and when the wing flexes eventually it may crack, so apparently the fix for them is currently in the works and it willl be a new part made from softer more flexible material.
Old May 12, 2012, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firemansam
When in Hamburg recently i was talking to my cousin who works for Lufthansa Technik. He was telling me wing root problem lies with the part that shows the cracks is to rigid and when the wing flexes eventually it may crack, so apparently the fix for them is currently in the works and it willl be a new part made from softer more flexible material.
Actually I've just been reading up more on the issues of the wing cracks located on the Airbus A380s. Came across this interesting article:

For a start, there are two different cracks being investigated:

1. Hairline cracks around fastener holes in the internal wing structure, and
2. Cracks at the edges of the vertical web of the feet.

The fastener holes are located in rib feet which are L-shaped brackets extending from the wing rib for attaching to the aircraft skin, using bolts through these holes. It is my understanding that it is the rib-feet attached to the lower skin which have this problem.

A number of wing ribs are distributed along the wing more than 40 on each wing of the Airbus A380 and these run from the front to the back of the wings internal structure.

These ribs help maintain the aerodynamic shape of the wing and transfer the aerodynamic and fuel loads to the spars beam-like structures running along the length of the wing that are the main load-carrying structure of the wing.

The cracks found around these holes are being attributed to the manufacturing process used at Broughton, UK, where the wings are made.

This manufacturing process may be related to the combination of the use of interference-fit fasteners and the loads being applied when the wing skin is attached to the wing.

Interference-fit refers to the process whereby the fastener hole is made slightly smaller than the fastener diameter. When the fasteners are inserted, this has the effect of inducing stresses which offset the tensile stresses on the lower wing skin during flight, increasing fatigue life.

If the high loads being applied to the fasteners during assembly are not adequately accounted for, they will combine with the stresses arising from the interference fit, potentially leading to cracking. The particular type of aluminium alloy used will also affect this joint behaviour where a balance has to be achieved between stiffness, strength and fracture toughness.

The cracks at the edges of the vertical section of the L-shaped rib feet have been reported as more severe than those observed around the fastener holes (Type II, using Airbus terminology, as opposed to Type I for the fastener hole cracks).

These cracks are likely to be at the corners of the rib feet where stresses are higher. These are of greater concern and could be fatigue driven. The AD also states that this condition, if not detected or corrected, could potentially affect the structural integrity of the aircraft.

That said, the cracks observed so far have not been on the main load-bearing structure of the wing. It would take multiple simultaneous structural failures along a number of ribs to give rise to a structural integrity issue. Its worth noting that there are around 4,000 rib-feet on each A380.

So what can be done about these cracks?

Well, once detected, these faults may be repaired by various means, depending on the extent of damage. For small surface cracks, metallic or carbon-fibre composite patches can be used and there is always the more-costly alternative of part replacement.

More here:

The Airbus A380 wing cracks: an engineers perspective
Old May 12, 2012, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
Do you know if this is a 304Y or 310Y?
By the looks of the routes -EGP has already operated (DXB-AMS-DXB etc..) I would say it's configured with 310Y.

^
Old May 12, 2012, 8:58 pm

By the looks of the routes -EGP has already operated (DXB-AMS-DXB etc..) I would say it's configured with 310Y.

^
There is no immediate need for additional ULH configured B77Ws right now. The next new route for such aircraft would be the DXB IAD that will operate as of 12SEP, and even that route could be covered with ULH B77Ws that will become available as existing routes get upgauged to A388.
Old May 15, 2012, 6:45 am
Original Poster

For those interested:

Emirates Urges Boeing To Move Fast On 777
Old May 16, 2012, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Can EK will have exchange the ordered from A350 to 777-8 or 9X? I think they will bring more extra range. They will have enough more fuel efficient and more capabilities.
Old May 17, 2012, 3:48 am

B77W A6-EGQ is currently on delivery from PAE to DXB.
Old May 17, 2012, 3:53 am
Original Poster

A6-EGQ is on delivery from Boeing's Paine Field (KPAE) to Dubai (OMDB) carrying callsign UAE/EK777 -EGQ is estimated to land at Dubai (OMDB) at approximately 23:00 GST.

Further Aircraft Information:

L/N: 1014
C/N: 41076
Type: B777-31H(ER)
Hex: 896212
Sel-Cal: BF-CM
Cabin Configuration: 8F / 42J / 310Y

Delivery Route:

KPAE HUH J534 SEATN J534 YWL J528 YQU 6100N 11500W 6600N 11000W 7130N 10000W 7500N 9000W 7700N 8000W 7900N 6000W 8000N 4000W 8000N 3000W 7900N 1000W 7800N 0000E BJO MAGIR SDA P65 VANOS A74 PELOR G476 PILAN G476 UREPI B958 BD BD3T SW BD3T GEKLA BD3T DK BD3T FV R11 PT G724 ST R120 BASKO R120 MEKAN N39 RADAL UL125 ANK W32 SOLAK W32 ASMUK W32 BND A419 DARAX OMDB

Last edited by EK433B77W; May 19, 2012 at 9:33 am Reason: Added cabin configuration information: 8F / 42J / 310Y
Old May 18, 2012, 1:37 am

Just like to note that speculation around here in DXB is suggesting that EK won't be accepting any deliveries of A380s in the next little while because of the cracks. Plans change daily at EK, so its no surprise, but apparently the last 3-4 aircraft will be accepted by EK to make 25 A380s in total, and no further aircraft will be accepted until a permanent fix is found for the A380. Obviously further speculation points to EK cancelling the remaining A380s in favour of ordering more B777s, but I personally doubt this because of the huge revenue they make when they are flying and the huge marketing in place for the 'flagship' aircraft.

The flightglobal article below outlines some details about the A380 fix. I don't know how Airbus would plan to deliver 30 aircraft if EK doesn't accept 9 of them!

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...n-2014-371961/
Old May 19, 2012, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by CaptainEKAirbus
Just like to note that speculation around here in DXB is suggesting that EK won't be accepting any deliveries of A380s in the next little while because of the cracks. Plans change daily at EK, so its no surprise, but apparently the last 3-4 aircraft will be accepted by EK to make 25 A380s in total, and no further aircraft will be accepted until a permanent fix is found for the A380. Obviously further speculation points to EK cancelling the remaining A380s in favour of ordering more B777s, but I personally doubt this because of the huge revenue they make when they are flying and the huge marketing in place for the 'flagship' aircraft.

The flightglobal article below outlines some details about the A380 fix. I don't know how Airbus would plan to deliver 30 aircraft if EK doesn't accept 9 of them!

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...n-2014-371961/
I do not think gonna to change anytime soon. They want to kept the A380 ordered. There is no change the aircraft and this should have enough anymore wing inspection. Just step forward to start accepting more A380 deliveries. Just do the right thing to do.
Old May 19, 2012, 2:09 am

EK's newest B77W A6-EGQ was put into commercial service today as EK161 to Dublin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.