Wiki Posts
Search

Rip Off Emirates

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2012, 5:47 pm

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by whimike
Pfft!!!!!

Op-ups from USWC are a joke.... If your last name doesn't start with A - D.

I am 0 for 1 on Y and 0 for 7 on J with op-ups from the USWC. Then again my last name starts with a W.
I am maybe 2 for ~25 J>F as well on flights to/from USWC. My last name starts with a "K". But that's not the issue on J/F upgrades I am sure.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:07 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by whimike
Pfft!!!!!

Op-ups from USWC are a joke.... If your last name doesn't start with A - D.

I am 0 for 1 on Y and 0 for 7 on J with op-ups from the USWC. Then again my last name starts with a W.
Not much different at the US East coast. My op-up rate is 0% for the last several years, in Y-J in over 20+ flights. Haven't been upgraded at JFK or SFO in years. Pagings announcement starts and then ends at D or J at the max, never going to S...
Old May 3, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by CommittedLurker
I am maybe 2 for ~25 J>F as well on flights to/from USWC. My last name starts with a "K". But that's not the issue on J/F upgrades I am sure.
It absolutely is the issue for J/F upgrades on US stations, as they appear to do all op-ups alphabetically.
Old May 3, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent AU, UA Plat, 9W Plat, Amtrak S+, HHonors Slv
Isn't alphabetical based op-up's one of the stupidest concepts ever? Granted, I understand that an op-up is not a "published" benefit, but still...

I only say that because they're really not rewarding loyalty - if there was some way to sort via status miles or whatnot, they'd probably generate a lot of goodwill with their true high-rev FF's. Not to say that hgih-revs can't be early in the alphabet...
Old May 3, 2012, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by phillystudent
Isn't alphabetical based op-up's one of the stupidest concepts ever? Granted, I understand that an op-up is not a "published" benefit, but still...

I only say that because they're really not rewarding loyalty - if there was some way to sort via status miles or whatnot, they'd probably generate a lot of goodwill with their true high-rev FF's. Not to say that hgih-revs can't be early in the alphabet...
Please let's not start this off again
Old May 9, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: AMEX Cent AU, UA Plat, 9W Plat, Amtrak S+, HHonors Slv
Originally Posted by ft101
Please let's not start this off again
Whoops, my bad. Can you please direct me at the original thread? Tried searching, but couldn't find it.
Old May 9, 2012, 10:31 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...procedure.html
Old May 9, 2012, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by CommittedLurker
Eightblack, there are plenty of op ups from Y to J on EK to the US WC. I think EK has decided to regularly oversell Y and upgrade to C. Seeing 5-10 people regularly upgraded to C is common. C to F upgrades are very rare. Not even 1 per flight IME.

Upon reviewing my original post, I meant to say that EK GOLD status is pretty useless on flights to/from the USWC when in paid business. If in Y, it gives you a great chance of an op up - agreed.

But I disagree that EK doesn't oversell on these flights due to weight restrictions. They do, but apparently only enough to fill up the J cabin.

I also see the same trend on flights to CCU (2 class). Y is regularly oversold, with the J cabin going out full due to the overspill.
Depends what you mean by 'regularly oversold' yes, EK oversells Y by anywhere between 15-19 seats, but do the the actual capacity of USWC aircraft having 304 in the back, the 15-19 seats that are oversold from Y are the within the capacity of Y since the aircraft is only sold with having 285 in Y, thus all 15-19 pax are still put in Y. But do to this, the premium cabins have to have the 15-19 seats open due to weight restriction. Therefore this doesn't always mean op-ups on USWC flights.
Old May 9, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: Meow Mix
EK is a bit of a mixed bag for me.

LHR to MNL used to be around Ł2400 for J which I think is amazing compared to BA on CX code share used to offer circa Ł3600 - Ł4000.

Recently due to the YQ increase LHR to MNL is now circa Ł3200. Makes EY / GF even more attractive. Problem for me is that I NEED to be on an A380 or a 777 and it seems that EK will be choice despite the ridiculous increase!

AKL to SYD one way has also increased by around $200 AUD.

/AE
Old May 9, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by CaptainEKAirbus
Depends what you mean by 'regularly oversold' yes, EK oversells Y by anywhere between 15-19 seats, but do the the actual capacity of USWC aircraft having 304 in the back, the 15-19 seats that are oversold from Y are the within the capacity of Y since the aircraft is only sold with having 285 in Y, thus all 15-19 pax are still put in Y. But do to this, the premium cabins have to have the 15-19 seats open due to weight restriction. Therefore this doesn't always mean op-ups on USWC flights.
Practically every flight I have been on (that was oversold in Y), resulted in op ups to J.

I would say it is somewhere around 70% easily. Again, this is based on my own experiences and observations.
Old May 9, 2012, 11:50 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
My op up rate ex DEL is 100% this year (y-j)
I flew this sector 3 times this year and got upped all 3 times.

My last name starts with W and so it is not on alphabetical order.
I am skywards gold. I always use miles to upgrade the DXB to DEL sector(sleeping time). Perhaps that counts ???
Old May 10, 2012, 1:12 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by angeloedades
EK is a bit of a mixed bag for me.

LHR to MNL used to be around £2400 for J which I think is amazing compared to BA on CX code share used to offer circa £3600 - £4000.

Recently due to the YQ increase LHR to MNL is now circa £3200. Makes EY / GF even more attractive. Problem for me is that I NEED to be on an A380 or a 777 and it seems that EK will be choice despite the ridiculous increase!

AKL to SYD one way has also increased by around $200 AUD.

/AE
Why do you NEED to be on an A380 or B777?
Old May 10, 2012, 1:21 am

Programs: Meow Mix
Originally Posted by ung1
Why do you NEED to be on an A380 or B777?
Very bad OCD ung1 I way beyond the normal plane spotting profile when it comes to these types of aircraft.

I think I may need some professional help with the OCD (and if anyone is wondering... no I am not joking).

However I consider journeys on different types of aircraft at least once so that I can say I have been on them.

/AE
Old May 10, 2012, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
My last name starts with W and so it is not on alphabetical order.
Not all stations do it in alphabetical order....
Old May 10, 2012, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

deleted

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 10, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.