Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Sign in using an external account

Old Mar 21, 12, 5:18 am   #1

Programs: BA Silver, EK Gold, LH Silver, Hilton Diamond
Transporting an iMac on EK

I want to move an Apple iMac 21" from DXB to LHR and am booked on the A380 in a couple of weeks.
What's the best and safest way to do this?
I have the original Apple box with the internal packing bits. I think I could carry it on-board if I bought a suitable holdall type bag and unboxed it or I could check it in and get it plastic wrapped at DXB.

What do you think?
Purdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 12, 5:48 am   #2

Your issue with carrying it on will be more in line with the 7kg weight restriction for cabin baggage. How much does the piece weigh?
B747-437B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 12, 6:42 am   #3

Well, I don't know exactly but its more than 7 kgs, probable double that, but I've never had any trouble with the airline weighing cabin baggage.
I think checking it in, boxed and plastic wrapped, makes sense but I dunno how likely it is to emerge unscathed at LHR. Do they have a 'fragile' baggage option or where do they stow strollers/pushchairs?
Old Mar 21, 12, 7:27 am   #4

Programs: EK, BA, TK
Apple specify the weight of the latest 21.5" model at 8.8kg. I am not sure if this includes packaging and accessories.

I have yet to experience over-zealous hand baggage scrutiny at DXB, but reports indicate that it does happen with some regularity. All those cashiers near the check-in desks need to be kept busy somehow.

If placing in checked baggage, I find the greatest risks are due to crushing should your item be loaded first into the hold or container and heavy items with rigid edges thrown on top. I would pack in original box, then pack that in a larger box or suitcase with a few inches of padding/packing in all directions.

Placing the original box inside a bin liner first (to protect from moisture) may seem excessive given that baggage is rarely left outside in the rain. However, after a recent flight where every second passenger was carrying 10 litres of poorly packaged holy water, I would recommend it! My bag escaped, but some others were drenched.
father_ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 12, 7:33 am   #5

Programs: Skywards
The best thing IMHO would be to put the iMac in a trolley bag (given, it wont be your regular 'cabin bag') but ive seen plenty of people with slightly larger trolley suitcases allowed through.

I have an iMac 27" and a 21" - I know how heavy they are and the original packaging (as good as it is), I doubt Emirates would allow a huge box on the cabin.

I would personally wrap it in bubble wrap and find an appropriate trolley bag.

There are some other solutions (at a price) such as this and this.
S c 0 TT y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 12, 7:58 am   #6

Scotty, thanks for that - it's a once only relocation of the iMac so I'm not really up for that sort of outlay.

father ted - good point about the bin liner!

I hesitate to think about it but perhaps I'll call Emirates and see what they suggest
Old Mar 21, 12, 11:49 am   #7
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold| EY Gold|IC RA|Hyatt Diamond|HHonors Gold
Unless it is very securely package and protected I would not check it in. My sister has had many homeware items crushed in transit and EK will claim no responsibility.
Zol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 12, 11:56 am   #8

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
Have you considered just shipping it DHL or FedEx insured?

joe
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 12, 1:32 pm   #9
Moderator, Emirates; Ambassador Team Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdey View Post
Scotty, thanks for that - it's a once only relocation of the iMac so I'm not really up for that sort of outlay.

father ted - good point about the bin liner!

I hesitate to think about it but perhaps I'll call Emirates and see what they suggest
The only way I would take it - is to carry it onboard. Wrap it in bubble wrap and put it under your arm. Also, and I know I am stating the obvious, back it up completely and make sure its insured...
eightblack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 12, 2:33 pm   #10
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Skywards Pleb, Marriott Platinum Premier, SPG Gold
It should fit into a standard roll-a-board. So, you should just be able to carry it on board. It will over the 7kg limit, but I doubt they'd spot you unless you were struggling.

I think the carry on checks seem to skewed in favour of certain skin tones - if you catch my drift.
DYKWIA is offline   Reply With Quote