Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 21, 11, 6:50 am   #1
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Thailand, Phuket
Programs: Emirates, Thai, TK
Posts: 265
Why no Emirates application for Iphone & Ipad

Why is there no Emirates application for the Iphone or Ipad available.
It would be nice to have the time table etc for my Iphone.
Most airlines have this option but nothing from Emirates.
Is there a special reason as Emirates is normally one of the first airlines to introduce webbased application.
merijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 11, 8:28 am   #2
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Manchester, UK
Programs: Skywards, Miles & More, BA Exec Club
Posts: 212
Because there's already a mobile site and a website that works on the iPad? Provided their main website works properly I see no mileage in spending additional cash developing apps that duplicate something that is already there.
__________________
Future flights: MAN-DUB-BOS-DCA-FLL-EYW-MIA-JFK-DUB-MAN
groobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 11, 12:50 am   #3
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Thailand, Phuket
Programs: Emirates, Thai, TK
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by groobs View Post
Because there's already a mobile site and a website that works on the iPad? Provided their main website works properly I see no mileage in spending additional cash developing apps that duplicate something that is already there.

Yes but that only works when you’re online. ( most airline website are mobile ready but they still have a offline version )
For the Iphone maybe not a big issue ( as long you stay in your own country to avoid roaming charges ) but for the Ipad it is.
Especially for the non 3G version.
It would be nice to have the timetable available off-line.
merijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 11, 2:06 am   #4
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: SPG Plat, BA Executive Gold, Skywards Silver
Posts: 2,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by merijn View Post
Yes but that only works when you’re online. ( most airline website are mobile ready but they still have a offline version )
For the Iphone maybe not a big issue ( as long you stay in your own country to avoid roaming charges ) but for the Ipad it is.
Especially for the non 3G version.
It would be nice to have the timetable available off-line.
Actually there is one, I use them all the time.

http://www.emirates.com/sa/english/i...280-194614.exe

or

http://www.emirates.com/sa/english/i...280-194611.pdf
LovetoTravel83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 11, 6:14 am   #5
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Thailand, Phuket
Programs: Emirates, Thai, TK
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83 View Post
I know them, but you can't use them on the Iphone or Ipad. ( so far i known )
But great for the desktop.
merijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 11, 11:54 am   #6
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SMF - N. California
Programs: LH SEN, SOUTHWEST A-LIST, HH GOLD, SPG GOLD, AA EXEC PLAT
Posts: 1,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by merijn View Post
I know them, but you can't use them on the Iphone or Ipad. ( so far i known )
But great for the desktop.
What if you email it to yourself ? Or just touch the link posted above to the pdf file ?

You can use the built in pdf reader, or purchase a better pdf reader from the App Store ?

(I sound like an Apple fanatic now, don't I ?)
CommittedLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 11, 2:49 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Dubai, UAE
Programs: EK, Hilton, AA
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by merijn View Post
Why is there no Emirates application for the Iphone or Ipad available.
It would be nice to have the time table etc for my Iphone.
Most airlines have this option but nothing from Emirates.
Is there a special reason as Emirates is normally one of the first airlines to introduce webbased application.
They are working on it, mobile apps should be available soon.
They do already have the mobile version of the site which works on all phones (browser support) but are also developing mobile specific apps.
ayoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 13, 10:53 am   #8
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4
Hi guys,not sure if this post is still checked as it has been a while since it has had any updates.

I work for an app development company and was wondering what type of things regular flyers like yourselves would like to see / or not see on an app.

It would be great to get ideas of what really counts to the customer and build something that does everything a regular user would demand.

I have been looking at the following apps

Lufthansa
Thai Touch
Fly Delta
TAP Portugal
American Airlines
Etihad Guest
Virgin Atlantic City Guide
Virgin Australia
HK Airlines Club Class
Croatia Air
MH Mobile (Malaysian)
Entertain - Virgin Australia

They all have certain areas of interest but I would love to be able to build a concept to then show an airline such as Emirates or another that perhaps we could run as a poll.

Thank you for reading
Dave Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 13, 12:08 pm   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: VCE
Posts: 13,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bailey View Post
Hi guys,not sure if this post is still checked as it has been a while since it has had any updates.

I work for an app development company and was wondering what type of things regular flyers like yourselves would like to see / or not see on an app.

It would be great to get ideas of what really counts to the customer and build something that does everything a regular user would demand.

I have been looking at the following apps

Lufthansa
Thai Touch
Fly Delta
TAP Portugal
American Airlines
Etihad Guest
Virgin Atlantic City Guide
Virgin Australia
HK Airlines Club Class
Croatia Air
MH Mobile (Malaysian)
Entertain - Virgin Australia

They all have certain areas of interest but I would love to be able to build a concept to then show an airline such as Emirates or another that perhaps we could run as a poll.

Thank you for reading
Thanks for looking into this.
I use the Lufthansa app for two things:
1) Check my upcoming reservations (they are all listed in the app)
2) Check my frequent flyer account balance

I don't know what else I would use an app for- what I would like from emirates is to have a mobile boarding pass built into the app- this would save me printing out boarding passes.
TRAVELSIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 13, 1:32 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NCE, CEQ :) or HKG
Programs: Platinum : Amex EK Accor iHG Hyatt SPG | Gold : CX Carlson Hilton | Basic : PriorityPass AF UA BA
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG View Post
Thanks for looking into this.
I use the Lufthansa app for two things:
1) Check my upcoming reservations (they are all listed in the app)
2) Check my frequent flyer account balance

I don't know what else I would use an app for- what I would like from emirates is to have a mobile boarding pass built into the app- this would save me printing out boarding passes.
Same + PassBook !

Look at the SPG app for hotels this is brilliant.
Thanh Viet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 13, 7:56 am   #11
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Bronze, Amex BA
Posts: 1,446
You forgot BA also have an app thats used as a mobile boarding pass. Ie you can get through security and the gate with it.
__________________
My Blog
GodAtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 13, 12:22 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: UK
Programs: Emirates Gold, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG:20407133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bailey View Post
Hi guys,not sure if this post is still checked as it has been a while since it has had any updates.

I work for an app development company and was wondering what type of things regular flyers like yourselves would like to see / or not see on an app.

It would be great to get ideas of what really counts to the customer and build something that does everything a regular user would demand.

I have been looking at the following apps

Lufthansa
Thai Touch
Fly Delta
TAP Portugal
American Airlines
Etihad Guest
Virgin Atlantic City Guide
Virgin Australia
HK Airlines Club Class
Croatia Air
MH Mobile (Malaysian)
Entertain - Virgin Australia

They all have certain areas of interest but I would love to be able to build a concept to then show an airline such as Emirates or another that perhaps we could run as a poll.

Thank you for reading
Thanks for looking into this.
I use the Lufthansa app for two things:
1) Check my upcoming reservations (they are all listed in the app)
2) Check my frequent flyer account balance

I don't know what else I would use an app for- what I would like from emirates is to have a mobile boarding pass built into the app- this would save me printing out boarding passes.
I've used mobile boarding pass on Emirates but I find it a bit of a pain.
HelloKittysMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 13, 12:50 am   #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: VCE
Posts: 13,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum View Post
I've used mobile boarding pass on Emirates but I find it a bit of a pain.
An app which integrated with something like Passbook or similar would solve this.
TRAVELSIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 13, 4:00 am   #14
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4
Thank you everyone, definitely food for thought there.

Really appreciate the comments
Dave Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 13, 5:07 am   #15
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4
If I were to design some type of wire frame would you be happy to view it and tell me what you think?
Dave Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:00 pm.