Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Sign in using an external account

Old Feb 14, 11, 2:38 pm   #1

Programs: CO Silver, StarAlliance Silver, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, UA Prem
Is Emirates part of SkyTeam, OneWorld, or Star Alliance?

Just curious. A friend is flying and I promised to find out
caseminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 11, 2:42 pm   #2
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold| EY Gold|IC RA|Hyatt Diamond|HHonors Gold
Nope - no alliances
Zol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 11, 2:42 pm   #3

Programs: UA 1K
They have agreements with other airlines but they are not a part of any airline alliance.
PHLyer82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 11, 3:00 pm   #4

Programs: skywards blue, TG ROP Silver, spg lifetime gold
its high time they do, Now that they have started this new tier miles system and flex/saver tickets, etc, they should also in return present their customer with a better network than what they currently have.
ash_ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 11, 3:45 pm   #5

Programs: Skywards, Miles & More, BA Exec Club
Really ash_ak? Can you really see any of the airlines and alliances wanting to allow EK on their roster? EK tread on the toes of pretty much all the major players out there, and with the way that EK are continuing, they'll have surpassed most in five years.

No point EK being part of an alliance, the only people wanting this are the users of Oneworld, Star Alliance, SkyTeam wanting to stretch their miles further.
Old Feb 14, 11, 4:27 pm   #6
Moderator, Emirates; Ambassador Team Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by groobs View Post
Really ash_ak? Can you really see any of the airlines and alliances wanting to allow EK on their roster? EK tread on the toes of pretty much all the major players out there, and with the way that EK are continuing, they'll have surpassed most in five years.

No point EK being part of an alliance, the only people wanting this are the users of Oneworld, Star Alliance, SkyTeam wanting to stretch their miles further.
groobs, I'm with you. I'm a *G member and a OW Sapphire member. But the last thing I want is EK joining an alliance. And besides, as you have quite rightly pointed out, there's no way BA or LH would even contemplate a partnership with what they consider to be Evil Empire.
eightblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 11, 5:12 pm   #7

Programs: CO Silver, StarAlliance Silver, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, UA Prem
I just found out that UAL is a partner with Emirates even though Emirates is not *A.

At least my friend will be earning "almost" a free domestic ticket by earning about 20,000 Mileage Plus miles by taking the flight from LAX to DEL via Dubai
caseminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 11, 12:52 am   #8

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AA, HYATT DIA, HH SLV, SPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_ak View Post
they should also in return present their customer with a better network than what they currently have.
Com'n they probably have the best long haul international network, going to many places that traditional, AF or BA or LH carriers, don't fly to.
NA-Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 11, 12:54 am   #9

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AA, HYATT DIA, HH SLV, SPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightblack View Post
And besides, as you have quite rightly pointed out, there's no way BA or LH would even contemplate a partnership with what they consider to be Evil Empire.
Actually EK executives are the ones who stressed on many occasions their rejections of any plans to join any alliance at any time in the future.
NA-Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 11, 7:23 pm   #10

Programs: EK Gold SQ TPPS BA SILV
Why would they join anyone else - the "founding" members of the other alliances have issues with them...

LH for *A : we all heard about the Germany Landing Rights.
BA for one world : They used to share their FFQ plan with EK in the past, that broke off.
GSCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 11, 7:07 am   #11

What are Emirates plans then.

The 380 is marketed as a hub to hub and the dreamliner as a point to point, so with the hub to hub wouldnt it make sense to enter into alliances with with smaller regional carriers to get you to your spoke?

With 90 380's on order surley someone has thought well we need to shift this pax from the hubs out to the spokes?

Was hoping something like that would happen with PG but Etihad and airberlin have got in there and now most conections seem to be through Thai *A.
ayeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 11, 12:17 pm   #12
Xlr

Quote:
Emirates has never belonged to, nor has any plans to join an alliance. We see them as having significant anti-competitive elements and believe that our membership in one, would be an artificial brake on our own business plans. Unless you are the lead participant in an alliance, such as Lufthansa in Star Alliance or Air France in SkyTeam, individual airline members are compromised by their implicit or implied collective decision making.
http://www.emirates.com/ae/english/a...mpetition.aspx
Xlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 11, 1:05 pm   #13

Programs: Skywards, Miles & More, BA Exec Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeaway View Post
What are Emirates plans then.

The 380 is marketed as a hub to hub and the dreamliner as a point to point, so with the hub to hub wouldnt it make sense to enter into alliances with with smaller regional carriers to get you to your spoke?

With 90 380's on order surley someone has thought well we need to shift this pax from the hubs out to the spokes?

Was hoping something like that would happen with PG but Etihad and airberlin have got in there and now most conections seem to be through Thai *A.
Dubai is EK's hub, all other destinations are their spokes. Whats not to understand?
Old Feb 23, 11, 11:40 am   #14

Programs: skywards blue, TG ROP Silver, spg lifetime gold
I for one would like to see EK join the Star Alliance, I would love to be able to travel on SQ & TG and experience their wonderful service and not to mention more convenient schedules and more flights when flying the Asian-far East routes. Always, better to have more options, cant go wrong with that.
ash_ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 11, 3:39 pm   #15
Moderator, Emirates; Ambassador Team Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_ak View Post
I for one would like to see EK join the Star Alliance, I would love to be able to travel on SQ & TG and experience their wonderful service and not to mention more convenient schedules and more flights when flying the Asian-far East routes. Always, better to have more options, cant go wrong with that.
Hell would freeze over before the founding members of Star (ie LH and UA) allowed EK to join the alliance. And you can be sure EK wouldn't want to - they've drawn their line in the sand and are going their own way.

Yes, the industry is always changing. And consolidating. But I just don't see this happening.
eightblack is offline   Reply With Quote