Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zol
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about Emirates and the Skywards program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about Emirates you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
/Emirates Skywards Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2011, 1:39 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador

Welcome to the EK Forum

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about Emirates and the Skywards program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about Emirates/Skywards you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

Last edited by eightblack; Jan 15, 2011 at 8:13 am
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:10 am

Programs: SK Diamond *G, LH SEN *G, Hyatt Globalist
Well first of all, what a great forum!

My spouse and I have been invited to the Formula 1 race in Bahrain i Marts by some business clients. We will be flying CPH-LHR-DXB in Emirates First Class, its our first time on Emirates, and then to Bahrain in a privat jet. Im StarGold and Gold at SAS EuroBonus, but they dont let you earn miles on Emirates. So my question is what program to sign in on to earn the miles for the Emirates flights? Emirates own program? Or mabye Continental OnePass as they are a member of StarAlliance?
And how many miles will I earn on CPH-LHR-DXB-LHR-CPH in F? Mabye its not even enought to bother signing up as you only get 150% in F, or have I missed some point here?

Thanks in advance for any advise!
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by NicoEBG
Well first of all, what a great forum!

My spouse and I have been invited to the Formula 1 race in Bahrain i Marts by some business clients. We will be flying CPH-LHR-DXB in Emirates First Class, its our first time on Emirates, and then to Bahrain in a privat jet. Im StarGold and Gold at SAS EuroBonus, but they dont let you earn miles on Emirates. So my question is what program to sign in on to earn the miles for the Emirates flights? Emirates own program? Or mabye Continental OnePass as they are a member of StarAlliance?
And how many miles will I earn on CPH-LHR-DXB-LHR-CPH in F? Mabye its not even enought to bother signing up as you only get 150% in F, or have I missed some point here?

Thanks in advance for any advise!
Welcome to the EK forum!

Firstly, EK doesn't fly CPH-LHR so that's going to be another airline.

On LHR-DXB you would earn 15,000 tier miles each on Skywards. This is a good option if you plan to fly Emirates again in the next three years, as that's how long miles are valid.

There's a list of airline partners you can earn the miles on, such as UA and CO, if you'd rather not add another program, but then the miles will be about 10,000.

(EK gives 250% miles based on zones while CO/ UA would give 150% based on distance flown, if I'm not mistaken).
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by ung1
On LHR-DXB you would earn 15,000 tier miles each on Skywards. This is a good option if you plan to fly Emirates again in the next three years, as that's how long miles are valid.
As well as the 15,000 tier miles, as a new member they would also get 5,000 bonus miles for a first flight, making it 20,000 Skywards miles.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:10 pm

hi guys newbie question...i have a return flight booked via expedia - NCL-DXB-NCL. Is it possible to upgrade to business class using miles/cash/both? what would this cost me?
thanks
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:40 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mmdpkaaa
hi guys newbie question...i have a return flight booked via expedia - NCL-DXB-NCL. Is it possible to upgrade to business class using miles/cash/both? what would this cost me?
thanks
Welcome to the EK Forum!

You have 2 options re upgrading using miles, dependent on whether or not the fare you purchased via Expedia was a Saver or Flex fare.

Saver - 65,000 miles for a return upgrade (ie from Y to J, or from J to F)
Flex - 50,000 miles for the same

You can also do one-way upgrades (simply halve the mileage above)

I wouldn't recommend going down the upgrading with cash option as all EK will do is re-fare the ticket you have to a full fare J or F, and the cost will take your breath away.

Unlike many US carriers, EK don't have an automated "Upgrade for cash" option, which I actually think is a good thing as it in part, maintains the product integrity.

Good luck...
Old Jan 12, 2011, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by mmdpkaaa
thanks
It is also dependant on availability if you're hoping to upgrade using miles. You can check this via Manage A Booking on the Emirates website. If it shows as not available just keep on trying as seats might open up later.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:07 am

Feedback

Does anyone have an email address I can write feedback to at Emirates? The website is really evasive about providing an email address for some strange reason.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, BA Executive Club, Jet Privilege
[email protected] is the best one. Response times vary from a couple of hours to a couple of days/weeks.

Good Luck!
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: AS Emerald; UA 1MM; Hilton Gold; Marriott Platinum
Booking class

As a 1K on UA, I am very familiar with checking fare classes, but how do I do it on the emirates website - I am looking at flying r/t from SIN to BNE in April and can get a really good ecomony fare for 812 SGD, but I need it o be in any class but X,D or Z (as according to the UA site Emirates is a partner, but no mileage accrual if in those classes - all other classes are 100%)
Assistance please
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:54 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhiltz
As a 1K on UA, I am very familiar with checking fare classes, but how do I do it on the emirates website - I am looking at flying r/t from SIN to BNE in April and can get a really good ecomony fare for 812 SGD, but I need it o be in any class but X,D or Z (as according to the UA site Emirates is a partner, but no mileage accrual if in those classes - all other classes are 100%)
Assistance please
Welcome to the EK Forum.

A couple of suggestions.

1. Do a fare search on ExpertFlyer. I ran a quick inquiry and just picked mid April and the system returned a SGD$805 or SGD$885 fare in buckets U and B
2. If you are ticketing in SIN, call EK Singapore +65.6735.3535 and they will tell you straight away over the phone

I'm not sure what X or Z fares are on EK. D is normally the upgrade award class...
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:14 pm

Thanks for the prompt assistance
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:23 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Thanks for the prompt assistance
You're very welcome
And as a fellow 1K'er, I wouldn't worry about crediting to UA, given that you wont receive EQM's, just RDM's. SIN-BNE isn't worth it.

But I would recommend joining Skywards.

EK are very good to it's frequent fliers...
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:52 pm

Ah, I did not catch that they were only RDM miles :-(
If you had to choose between singapore airline @ US$1000 or Emirates @ US$600 (and I will be in economy) which is better
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:58 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Ah, I did not catch that they were only RDM miles :-(
If you had to choose between singapore airline @ US$1000 or Emirates @ US$600 (and I will be in economy) which is better
It depends on your schedule. EK only run one flight a day to BNE, which leaves mid afternoon. In terms of onboard service, much the same. The die hard SQ folks will have you believe that SQ's IFE is comparable to EK's. It's not. They've been drinking too much of their own Koolaid

I don't think SQ is $400 better. Far from it. It will be a lottery in terms of which aircraft you'll be on. With EK, only one choice - 777.

PM me if you want any more details or I can help...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.