Your Skywards Questions Answered

Old Jun 18, 2011, 8:32 am

Programs: British Airways Silver, Emirates Skywards Gold, Priority Pass, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Gold
Agreed that lounge numbers needed to be reduced by preventing masses of guests however it's the recent change in tier points that has shocked me.

There is no logic behind it as it is unrelated to distance and spend. My next two emirates flights rtn Hong Kong 18h and 4300 AED then rtn Moscow 10h and 2800 AED both worth 8000 miles and 3500 tier points. I've checked all options and you can't get economy ticket that increases the tier points. My issue is they appear to have dropped tier points by 40% overnight without any explanation and nobody seems to be complaining not even on Dubai radio. Again am I confused or has this been the case for months? My last flight to Singapore was April and I got 6000 tier points for that
Old Jun 18, 2011, 8:40 am

I think you're mixing up quite a few things here. First, calm down ^

What you're experiencing is the Saver vs. Flex issue, i.e. most fares are now called "Saver", giving only half the miles, and it's sometimes hard, sometimes impossible to get a Flex fare. All is very much in the dark indeed, and many have complained about it, however EK doesn't seems to care very much about it.

Then, the cost of a ticket is, besides a few programs like SQ's PPS club, not in any way relative to the milage earning. Some routes are more expensive, some are cheaper, it's how the airlines revenue system works (or more often than not, not works..)

The safer vs. flex is ongoing for quite a while, it was introduced more than a year ago already, and the "fixed" milage amounts for regions rather than the exact miles is even older (2-3 years?)
Old Jun 18, 2011, 8:54 am

WTTB

Originally Posted by King Solomon
I've checked all options and you can't get economy ticket that increases the tier points.
You can, but if they're not available on-line you have to call EK and pay a premium for them.

My issue is they appear to have dropped tier points by 40% overnight without any explanation...
It's 50% difference between Flex and Saver. It's been like this since January 2010 but prior to a couple of months ago Flex tickets were available on many routes, even on the lowest price tickets.

My last flight to Singapore was April and I got 6000 tier points for that
SIN is in the same Zone as HKG so should have been 3,500/7,000 Tier Miles for Saver/Flex (ex DXB).
Old Jun 19, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: British Airways Silver, Emirates Skywards Gold, Priority Pass, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Gold
Thanks both for clearing that up, it would seem that in the past I was purchasing flex tickets all the time but at what are now saver rates. This would imply that I've actually done rather well in the past and am suffering a little presently. However it would be helpful if Emirates allowed reduced vs full rate tier point fair options like BA do online.
I guess when arriving in Dubai in 2009 after the slump it's all going to travel in one direction. Airfares, traffic, local charges and rents upwards at a much faster rate than salary. Ho hum that's life
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
Person A travels but is not interested in miles. Person B who does not travel with A has a Skywards account.

What happens if A enters B account number in manage my booking or OLCI? I tell them that the system will recognize the mismatch in account number and person traveling, my colleagues tell me that, no, it will work, B will get miles for A flying. And A will be able use the lounge since B is Gold!

Whats your guys opinion?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by GigoloArt
Person A travels but is not interested in miles. Person B who does not travel with A has a Skywards account.

What happens if A enters B account number in manage my booking or OLCI? I tell them that the system will recognize the mismatch in account number and person traveling, my colleagues tell me that, no, it will work, B will get miles for A flying. And A will be able use the lounge since B is Gold!

Whats your guys opinion?
Not possible/will not work.

Easiest way, if you're like the travel agent for A and thus have access to his booking, register him/her, put her Skywards number into the system, and eventually use his miles to upgrade his travel (or anyone else's )
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Not possible/will not work.
They keep telling me that it works. They are not frequent flyers, maybe they mix up things. The trip will be in the coming days so I will ask the guys afterwards.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 1:25 pm

Guys, can I have some help please:

Am new to emirates, me and my wife are planning to go BHX-DXB-MLE-CMB-DXB-BHX.

I have just signed up to skywards but what is the best way to purchase the tickets? Is it best to purchase under one skywards number or to do them seperately then jojn PNRs?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by kitbag1984
Guys, can I have some help please:

Am new to emirates, me and my wife are planning to go BHX-DXB-MLE-CMB-DXB-BHX.

I have just signed up to skywards but what is the best way to purchase the tickets? Is it best to purchase under one skywards number or to do them seperately then jojn PNRs?

Thanks for your help.
You can enter Skywards numbers for each passenger in a booking. Nothing to do with whether it's under the same PNR or different
Old Jun 22, 2011, 3:31 pm

Of course you are right.

I was even able to upgrade the CMB to DXB segment using my dads Airmiles.

My first ever taste of business class (even if it is only 1 1/2 hours!).
Old Jun 22, 2011, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by kitbag1984
Of course you are right.

I was even able to upgrade the CMB to DXB segment using my dads Airmiles.

My first ever taste of business class (even if it is only 1 1/2 hours!).
Do you mean the MLE to CMB segment? As CMB to DXB is 4 hours.

The lounge in MLE is dry and very basic, the one in CMB is ok-ish and has some alcohol. Well, enjoy ^
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:58 pm

Yes you are right. It is the MLE to CMB route.

Just excited to travel in something other than economy!

The fare this way was also around £150 cheaper. So I get to see a bit of sri lanka and Dubai and save money. Excellent!
Old Jul 11, 2011, 1:28 am

Guys, i got questions regarding skywards, please help. thx

1. If i buy a ticket for me and my parents under my account and the same booking code, can i get the miles for their tickets? I could put them on the household account, but then i will only be able to get 20% of their miles. They have no interest in miles or skywards as this will be their one and only long flight (they are quite old). I don't think that their miles from this flight (around 20000 miles each) will be enough to upgrade my upcoming flight.

2. If my parents will fly in business and i am in economy, can i also take advantage on the complimentary chauffeur ? we will go to the same hotel.

3. If my parents traveling business and i have silver account, can i enter the worldwide lounge too? I read that silver can only gain access to Dubai lounge.

3. If my skyward account is silver and my husband is blue, can i take him to the lounge in Dubai and get the priority boarding if we are traveling together?
Old Jul 11, 2011, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by apiapiaba
Guys, i got questions regarding skywards, please help. thx

1. If i buy a ticket for me and my parents under my account and the same booking code, can i get the miles for their tickets? I could put them on the household account, but then i will only be able to get 20% of their miles. They have no interest in miles or skywards as this will be their one and only long flight (they are quite old). I don't think that their miles from this flight (around 20000 miles each) will be enough to upgrade my upcoming flight.

2. If my parents will fly in business and i am in economy, can i also take advantage on the complimentary chauffeur ? we will go to the same hotel.

3. If my parents traveling business and i have silver account, can i enter the worldwide lounge too? I read that silver can only gain access to Dubai lounge.

3. If my skyward account is silver and my husband is blue, can i take him to the lounge in Dubai and get the priority boarding if we are traveling together?
1. No. They can earn the full amount then you can pay to transfer it to yours though.
2. Yes
3. No
4. No to lounge. Maybe on boarding (try it).
Old Jul 11, 2011, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by rowanparker
1. No. They can earn the full amount then you can pay to transfer it to yours though.
You cannot transfer miles from one skywards account to another.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.