Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zol
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about Emirates and the Skywards program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about Emirates you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
/Emirates Skywards Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by ung1
No - if you have the bp for the next flight, walk straight down all the way to immigration.
Thanks Ung1, how long before the flight though? Sorry just never done connecting flights with long stopovers before, dont want to be late, but on the other hand want to sleep as long as I can!
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by pinkpanther
Thanks Ung1, how long before the flight though? Sorry just never done connecting flights with long stopovers before, dont want to be late, but on the other hand want to sleep as long as I can!
Sometimes the passport queues are long, so give yourself at least an hour.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:18 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Keep enough time to be at the gate at least 15 minutes before departure. Obviously don't cut it so close as to reach the airport 30 minutes before (especially if you don't have egate). Immigration and security though shouldn't take over 20 minutes, and add 10 minutes to walk to whichever gate, so reach the airport at the very least 45 minutes before you flight.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 8:44 am

Question Questions re hotels & skywards points

First - I have booked flights online with Emirates and have the option to add hotels - if I do will I earn Skywards miles?

Second - I received an email stating that if I saty at any Hilton Hotel I will receive 500 Skywards miles - I'm booked into a Hilton in 2 weeks - do I just take my Skywards card withme wheen I check-in or do I need to do something else please?
Thanks.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 6:38 am

Online check in query

Hi I have just checked in online, but although it says I am checked in it is saying that my passport needs to be validated at the airport and I havent been issued an eboarding pass or online check in receipt... anyone know why this might be? Also I originally reserved a bulkhead seat, but that has now gone.. whats the point in reserving a seat only for them to move it?

PP
Old Feb 5, 2011, 6:47 am

Hi I have just checked in online, but although it says I am checked in it is saying that my passport needs to be validated at the airport and I havent been issued an eboarding pass or online check in receipt... anyone know why this might be? Also I originally reserved a bulkhead seat, but that has now gone.. whats the point in reserving a seat only for them to move it?

PP
Maybe visa restrictions for them needing to check your passport.

Bulkhead seat could be re-allocated for someone travelling with an infant if it's also a bassinet seat.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I'm venturing into uncharted territories here... !

I usually fly with QR, and haven't flown EK for about 7 years now. Was Silver way back when too... but now they are the cheapest for a oneway fare from SIN to AMS, so hey...!

QUESTION - how are the emergency exit seats allocated? Status, first come first seated, or ?

How is the seat pitch for economy on the 77W anyway?

Thank you !
Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:21 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I'm venturing into uncharted territories here... !

I usually fly with QR, and haven't flown EK for about 7 years now. Was Silver way back when too... but now they are the cheapest for a oneway fare from SIN to AMS, so hey...!

QUESTION - how are the emergency exit seats allocated? Status, first come first seated, or ?

How is the seat pitch for economy on the 77W anyway?

Thank you !
From Mod to Mod,

We make special deal for you. Seat pitch 33-34 inches (less if you've eaten a lot of cheese for lunch). Exits allocated on first come first served, not on status (which has always annoyed me).

PM me if you need more help.

SIMON
Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, SPG Gold , HHonors Diamond ,Marriott Gold Elite
Question Champagne in F

A simple question from me. I am travelling in F ATH/HKG in March.

Do EK serve Dom in F irrespective of flight length or is it some different champagne on the shorter sectors?

Many thanks

Col747uk
Old Feb 9, 2011, 6:16 am

I do expect to have dom on the ATH - DXB flight....
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:18 am

Best way of upgrading to Melbourne each year

Hi
I'm completely new to this , so please excuse my ignorance.
My hubbie & I intend to travel to Melbourne from MANchester at least once each year ( around Christmas) to visit our son, who has settled in Oz.
We travelled Business Class with my 90 yr old Mum & therefore I have 38,500 points ( incl 20% claimed on her ticket) & hubbie has 35,000 points ( seems I enrolled too early)
From reading the posts it seems best to use our Skyward points for upgrades.
To increase our points my hubbie has taken out an Amex Starwood card, which should give us 10,000 introductory points (£1k spend in 3 months), then 1 point per £1 . Amex isn't accepted at many places here so he will struggle to reach the 20,000 Starwood points which would trigger a 5,000 point bonus when transferring to Emirates Skywards.
I'm prepared to buy additional points ( not sure how at moment).
We could therefore each have over 55,000 points by the end of this year.

My questions are:
1. Can we book upgrades for just specific legs of our next flight e.g. DUBAI to MELBOURNE & if so, could we do MAN to DBX as economy?
2. Any recommendations on saving costs but travelling in comfort e.g. on best way of earning more points, bearing in mind we are senior citizens whose only other flights are cut-price trips to Europe from MAN.

Many thanks
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by ginnytonic
To increase our points my hubbie has taken out an Amex Starwood card, which should give us 10,000 introductory points (£1k spend in 3 months), then 1 point per £1 . Amex isn't accepted at many places here so he will struggle to reach the 20,000 Starwood points which would trigger a 5,000 point bonus when transferring to Emirates Skywards.
I'm prepared to buy additional points ( not sure how at moment).
We could therefore each have over 55,000 points by the end of this year.
I'm surprised at this - I thought this card was a US$ card and was only issued in the USA. If it's the card I think, any spend in £ on it is charged a 2.7% transaction fee so you would effectively be paying that for your miles. It is also charged an annual fee after the first year.

Originally Posted by ginnytonic
1. Can we book upgrades for just specific legs of our next flight e.g. DUBAI to MELBOURNE & if so, could we do MAN to DBX as economy?
Do a dummy booking on the website to try it out, as it may vary on different routes, but when I tried this recently on a UK to Far East journey it forced both legs into the higher class.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:13 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ft101

Do a dummy booking on the website to try it out, as it may vary on different routes, but when I tried this recently on a UK to Far East journey it forced both legs into the higher class.
The OP was asking about upgrades, not ticketing in J. It is possible to upgrade individual legs, but this works out more expensive than the combined miles required when upgrading the entire outbound/ inbound at once.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by ung1
The OP was asking about upgrades, not ticketing in J. It is possible to upgrade individual legs, but this works out more expensive than the combined miles required when upgrading the entire outbound/ inbound at once.
I had read it as she was planning to upgrade with miles on one leg and wanted to pay for J on another as she wouldn't have enough miles to upgrade them all.

Reading it again I was probably confused.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:31 am

Smile Thanks for your help

Originally Posted by ft101
I had read it as she was planning to upgrade with miles on one leg and wanted to pay for J on another as she wouldn't have enough miles to upgrade them all.

Reading it again I was probably confused.
Sorry - I am confused, so not suprised that my post is confusing!
Yes - I had assumed we had insufficient miles, so I did a dummy booking and came across the problem that there seemed to be a requirement to travel in the same class for the entire journey.

I guess that must be so.

Does anyone know if taking a stopover option would enable us to travel in different classes on different legs of the journey?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.