Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zol
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about Emirates and the Skywards program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about Emirates you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
/Emirates Skywards Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by meshell555
My question is as follows; should I stay on the family plan, and give him 20% of my miles (which is fine because we will use upgrades together) or should I keep them in my account.
The important point to note about the family plan is that when you become part of the family plan, you earn **nothing**, **nada**, **zilch**. No Tier miles, no skywards miles. The family head earns 20% of the skywards miles that would have accrued to you.
Originally Posted by meshell555
Will I lose anything, i.e. tier miles if I stay paired with him on the family plan?
Actually, you'll not get anything and the family head will only get 20% of your skywards miles, if you are part of the family plan.

If you plan to travel often, joining the family plan is strongly discouraged.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:59 am

Programs: Virgin Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Platinum,
Hi, could really appreciate some help here

I have booked our honeymoon to Mauritius on the 26th of nov in EK006/ek703 and coming back on 6th dec via a stopover in dubai in Economy saver fare.

My question is i have over 400k in amex rewards i can transfer to skywards, what is the likleyhood of upgrades being available at check-in for us both and can we do the return journey at the same time, or am I just living in a fantasy world here !
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:27 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by flyingsingh

I have booked our honeymoon to Mauritius on the 26th of nov in EK006/ek703 and coming back on 6th dec via a stopover in dubai in Economy saver fare.

My question is i have over 400k in amex rewards i can transfer to skywards, what is the likleyhood of upgrades being available at check-in for us both and can we do the return journey at the same time, or am I just living in a fantasy world here !
I would not want to estimate the chance of upgrades being available at check but they are certainly not zero. You would have to ask at the time of check in (or during the 24 hour OLCI window you can see if you can upgrade through Manage My Booking - if no go then you should still try at physical check in). You would need try the return at the time of the return as you cannot do it when you are checking in for your outbound. Good luck!
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum, AA million miler, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver
First Time Flyer - LAX - DXB - DEL - DXB - LAX

Hello.

First time flyer on Emirates. I was one of those that booked from LAX - DXB - DEL - DXB - LAX for $323 RT and couldn't pass it up.

Any recommendations on seats on the A380? I was thinking about the back of the A380 center aisle and hoping I would not have anyone next to me. Both A380 flights seem pretty open as far as seating.

Any other recommendations are most appreciated. I am traveling the week prior to Thanksgiving. I have a 2 1/2 layover in DXB and an overnight layout in DXB from 1830 hrs on the return. I only have status on AA, which I know does not count on Emirates.

Thank you.

David
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by flyingsingh

Mru is now the 380 and is often over in y.

You probably have a better chance on those legs than leaving the uk unless availability opens up in advance.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 4:17 am

Sorry to ask this again, but nobody answered before.

I'm flying AMM-DXB-AMM in late October, I was wondering if I want to upgrade my return leg with miles to business will I have to pay any fees or just spend the miles for the upgrade, of course assuming upgrades are available.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by SandWraith
Sorry to ask this again, but nobody answered before.

I'm flying AMM-DXB-AMM in late October, I was wondering if I want to upgrade my return leg with miles to business will I have to pay any fees or just spend the miles for the upgrade, of course assuming upgrades are available.
On manage my booking online it should tell you the total cost / fees payable. I think it should be an all inclusive miles price.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:26 am

First time in F on EK.

Do they feature pre-order meals ala SQ Book the Cook, or OZ Asian meals ex ICN ?
Thanks.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Keller281
Do they feature pre-order meals ala SQ Book the Cook, or OZ Asian meals ex ICN ?
Thanks.
Unfortunately, neither. It features pre-cooked meals besides also including selections from the business class menu, to give the impression that you have a lot of 'choice' available.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:33 pm

Hi all!

I am a skywards member flying in December LHR-IKA-DXB-LHR and was wondering what is the best way of bagging a upgrade? My miles recently expired, so I'm hoping to use that to my advantage, but anything else I can do?

Thanks!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by jetblast787
Hi all!

I am a skywards member flying in December LHR-IKA-DXB-LHR and was wondering what is the best way of bagging a upgrade? My miles recently expired, so I'm hoping to use that to my advantage, but anything else I can do?

Thanks!
You can always purchase an upgrade - use the links in Manage my booking on the EK website. If you are looking at a complementary op-up, the easiest way would be to have 'status' with EK or QF. And the flight has to be oversold in your original booking class.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
jetblast - : flights to & from LHR are invariably 'status heavy', meaning that if there ARE any upgrades being approved, they will almost certainly go to pax holding status with Emirates, ideally Platinum or Gold

It's fair to say that if you don't fall into any of those categories, then your best way of getting to sit in a better cabin is to buy an upgrade as per jackiedada's suggestion.

I'm not at all sure what you mean by expired miles being an advantage .....
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by go4bal
Hello.

First time flyer on Emirates. I was one of those that booked from LAX - DXB - DEL - DXB - LAX for $323 RT and couldn't pass it up.

Any recommendations on seats on the A380? I was thinking about the back of the A380 center aisle and hoping I would not have anyone next to me. Both A380 flights seem pretty open as far as seating.

Any other recommendations are most appreciated. I am traveling the week prior to Thanksgiving. I have a 2 1/2 layover in DXB and an overnight layout in DXB from 1830 hrs on the return. I only have status on AA, which I know does not count on Emirates.

Thank you.

David
-- Reposting to see if anyone has suggestions on the questions above. Thanks for your help in advance.

I am also wondering if it is possible to standby on an earlier flight (same day) from DEL - DXB. Just want to explore a bit more of DXB on my long layover.

Thanks.

David
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by go4bal
-- Reposting to see if anyone has suggestions on the questions above. Thanks for your help in advance.

I am also wondering if it is possible to standby on an earlier flight (same day) from DEL - DXB. Just want to explore a bit more of DXB on my long layover.

Thanks.

David
Your flight will most likely not stay empty for long. Whilst planes mostly fill from the front, sometimes controllers will put a big group at the back. Also on the ULH A380 that serves LAX, half of the cabin will be taken up by a crew rest compartment. I would probably go for an aisle seat at the back though and take my chances with groups, or go for the smaller front cabin. I prefer smaller cabins in Y though, instead of middle ones. YMMV.

You won't be able to standby for another flight - EK will want to charge you a change fee on top of any fare bucket change if you want to do that. And they won't ever change your fare to a cheaper bucket!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Your flight will most likely not stay empty for long. Whilst planes mostly fill from the front, sometimes controllers will put a big group at the back. Also on the ULH A380 that serves LAX, half of the cabin will be taken up by a crew rest compartment. I would probably go for an aisle seat at the back though and take my chances with groups, or go for the smaller front cabin. I prefer smaller cabins in Y though, instead of middle ones. YMMV.

You won't be able to standby for another flight - EK will want to charge you a change fee on top of any fare bucket change if you want to do that. And they won't ever change your fare to a cheaper bucket!
Thank you. Considering that I paid $323 for my RT ticket I would be happy with any seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.