Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Can I check baggage through to final destination even with stopover in Dubai?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Hi all. I have a LHR-CHC booked with EK, with a two day stopover in DXB (arrive DXB Sat AM, depart DXB Mon AM).
What generally happens with luggage - would I collect it in DXB, and then re-check in? Ideally I want to check my luggage all the way though to CHC. I'm fine with just my hand luggage for the weekend in DXB, and would MUCH rather not have to deal with my checked luggage in DXB. Advice and options appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 4:16 am

If your stopover in Dubai exceeds 24 hours, you will need to collect your baggage. However, left luggage is available at Dubai airport at a reasonable cost so you don't have to lug it around town with you.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. Not entirely what I wanted to hear though....is there no way of checking it all the way through, if I request specially at LHR?
Is the left luggage suitable for leaving large objects like snowboards? Or are they lockers that just fit a holdall in?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ukflyer1
Thanks for the reply. Not entirely what I wanted to hear though....is there no way of checking it all the way through, if I request specially at LHR?
Is the left luggage suitable for leaving large objects like snowboards? Or are they lockers that just fit a holdall in?
I was once was travelling from LHR to RUH.

Arriving in DXB Thursday AM and leaving DXB on Friday PM which makes it more than 24 hours. Told the staff and LHR if It's possible to check the bags all the way through to RUH which they said it was ok.

Went to DXB with only my hand luggage.

But that was 30 months ago, Don't know if it's ok now.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: *A GOLD, EL AL PLATINUM, ONEWORLD*SAPPHIRE, ACCOR CLUB PLATINUM, Human Race Platinum for life
If your trip was booked using married segments, as opposed to selecting each sector individually, chances are it might work out more easily by asking to check your bags all the way through.

Either way, it is going to be a matter of luck depending on who is serving you at check in.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: EK G, EY G and a few others
Just came home after dropping a friend off in Manchester airport. She is taking a break of around 36 hours in Dubai and was asked if she wanted her checked -in baggage in Dubai. She only wanted it at her final destination as she's staying with family friends in Dubai and the check in staff tagged her bad to the final destination.

She had booked her ticket through the EK website and called them to arrange for the stop over as her friend arranged for the visa at Dubai.

hope this helps
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:06 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
"Long Transfer" Tag

Originally Posted by skyjumper007
Just came home after dropping a friend off in Manchester airport. She is taking a break of around 36 hours in Dubai and was asked if she wanted her checked -in baggage in Dubai. She only wanted it at her final destination as she's staying with family friends in Dubai and the check in staff tagged her bad to the final destination.

She had booked her ticket through the EK website and called them to arrange for the stop over as her friend arranged for the visa at Dubai.

hope this helps
So did the check-in agent put a "Long Transfer" tag on her bags?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. I'm just hoping for check-in staff that let me check all the way through then. I'm not sure what "married sectors" are, but both LHR-DXB and DXB-CHC are on the same booking reference.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 4:57 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ukflyer1
Thanks for the information. I'm just hoping for check-in staff that let me check all the way through then. I'm not sure what "married sectors" are, but both LHR-DXB and DXB-CHC are on the same booking reference.
It should be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.