Downgrade compensation

Old Jul 23, 2010, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: HL Gold, SPG Platinum, HY Platinum, EY Gold Elite, EK Gold, LH Gold, AF Platinum
Downgrade compensation

Hi all,

I was flying with EK on first class from Dubai back to Colombo. When I was checking my flight few days before departure, I noticed been downgraded to business class. I called EK and they told about aircraft change. When I asked about compensation they told me they cannot tell on the phone that but at airport ticketing counter they would inform me. I was expecting a fair compensation (same upgrade on single sector would cost 3000 AED ie. around 800 USD).

Once at airport (2am) I went to ticketing but they told since ticket been sold online from CMB, they cannot tell the difference, I must go to Colombo to ask it. I was getting quite upset at this stage as I think they should have done at least their homeworks and calculate at the time they downgraded me. From past I know as I was having a longer sectors (ticket was CMB-DXB-HKG-DXB-CMB) that if you just downgrade one shorter secter, ticket actually becomes more expensive and dont think its fair for the passanger to dowgrade without compensation.

I sent a long compain to EK, still waiting for reply. At the end I waited for next flight next morning as got so upset and ended up to full first cabin with 10 people upgraded from business to first. Maybe should never book first as seems its easier to get upgrade.

I was not expecting EK to handle the situation so badly. I expect to know the compensation at the time of downgrade, not two weeks before when already taken the flight. Anyone else experienced anything similar?
Old Jul 23, 2010, 8:45 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Hi hmattila,

Though I am not aware how EK handles involuntary downgrades, BUT am very surprised they downgraded a paid F to C.. i hv almost never heard of this..
And from ur experience till now, it seems EK has slipped big time in looking after its top paying clientele , I mean how are willing to buy paid F .. I would hv been really "$"%"! pissed if this happenned to me..

Anyway, to answer ur queries, the normal ballpark rule is about 75% of the fare difference between F and C.. in LH, there seems to be a range of around Eur 1500-3000 or a combination of next flights in same class with Eur 600 - 800 compensation depending on the layover..But these are EU rules and guidelines , it differs from airlines ..As u waited for the next flight , I hope they gave u some IDB compensation atleast ??

My advice is you should also follow up with calls to their service center and be sure not to leave them ..You are entitled to compensation and a quite decent one at that..If you want some specific cases info, u may go to LH forum where they hv some details ( but nothing from F , all downgraded from C mostly )..

Keep us posted..
Cheers
Abhi
Old Jul 24, 2010, 4:12 am

Programs: EK Gold, , FB Gold, Jet Platinum, ICH Royal Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Platinum
Originally Posted by hmattila
Hi all,

I was flying with EK on first class from Dubai back to Colombo. When I was checking my flight few days before departure, I noticed been downgraded to business class. I called EK and they told about aircraft change. When I asked about compensation they told me they cannot tell on the phone that but at airport ticketing counter they would inform me. I was expecting a fair compensation (same upgrade on single sector would cost 3000 AED ie. around 800 USD).

Once at airport (2am) I went to ticketing but they told since ticket been sold online from CMB, they cannot tell the difference, I must go to Colombo to ask it. I was getting quite upset at this stage as I think they should have done at least their homeworks and calculate at the time they downgraded me. From past I know as I was having a longer sectors (ticket was CMB-DXB-HKG-DXB-CMB) that if you just downgrade one shorter secter, ticket actually becomes more expensive and dont think its fair for the passanger to dowgrade without compensation.

I sent a long compain to EK, still waiting for reply. At the end I waited for next flight next morning as got so upset and ended up to full first cabin with 10 people upgraded from business to first. Maybe should never book first as seems its easier to get upgrade.

I was not expecting EK to handle the situation so badly. I expect to know the compensation at the time of downgrade, not two weeks before when already taken the flight. Anyone else experienced anything similar?
You should have got a F class return DBV for the downgrade.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:55 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver, IHC Plat, HERTZ gold, GF Gold, SAS Silver
I have been offered free first class seats on the same route i have been downgraded from F to J on. Once on a DXB-DEL, offered free DXB-DEL return.

Second time, on a ticket LHR-DXB-BOM, was downgraded to J on the DXB-BOM sector and offered a further DXB-BOM return. When i pointed out that i would have to then pay for a LHR-DXB in order to use the ticket, which is the same fare as LHR-DXB-BOM, I was goiven a free LHR-DXB-BOM return in F.

Both times were caused where there had ben a change of aircraft.

I did ask for the equiv miles (DXB-BOM-DXB) in F but weas denied them - crazy in the case where i was offered the LHR-DXB-BOM - but i guess they are put on the spot at the time.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 5:46 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Hey guys,
I understand this thread is slightly old, but I have an upcoming flight DXB - KUL on a 388 that has been changed to a 2 class 777 due to the wing cracks. Which is really disappointing as I'm been looking forward to try the 388 in F.

Anyways just wondering about what compensation I may get. My ticket is on A fare with one segment in Economy class. Will I still likely get a free ticket if I fly that 2 class plane?

Secondly, if I have to change my flight to 2 days later, but due to timing can't take the other DXB - KUL routes (that have 3 class). Will I still be granted any compensation at all?

So far I've not been informed by EK staff about the change in metal, found out when checking my flight on ExpertFlyer
Old Feb 28, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
When are you due to travel? I received two calls over a period of a few days starting about a week from when the aircraft I was due to travel on was changed from a 380 to a 777 for the same reason. You may well get a call from someone briefed to deal with the issue a bit closer to the time if you are still more than a week out or so. If you are already close to travel I suggest that you call in and see if you can speak to someone who is dealing with the issue rather than the first telephone rep who picks up. Good luck and please let us all know how you get on. Thanks.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
I'm due to fly in 9 days time, but may need to push it to 11 or 12 days away at a cost of 300 MYR.

Thing is I could be offered a free change due Invol downgrade. But if I choose that 777 in J 12 days away cause I cannot make the other timings, am I still eligible for compensation?

I mean, a free return ticket to DXB would be useful for the next Do.

Did they offer you any recourse for your flight downgrades?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by lsed
I'm due to fly in 9 days time, but may need to push it to 11 or 12 days away at a cost of 300 MYR.

Thing is I could be offered a free change due Invol downgrade. But if I choose that 777 in J 12 days away cause I cannot make the other timings, am I still eligible for compensation?

I mean, a free return ticket to DXB would be useful for the next Do.

Did they offer you any recourse for your flight downgrades?
In short, I do not know - all I know is that they called me but because I needed to take that particular flight I stayed on it and did not ask about options. I had no compensation offered because replacement aircraft still had suites in First Class and I did not ask for anything other than my usual window seat!
Old Mar 3, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: DL DM. EK Gold. UA1K. BA Silver. SPG Plat. HH. Diamond.
Originally Posted by hmattila
Hi all,

I was downgraded about 3wks ago from LHR to DBX. My original ticket was bought the evening before the flight. It was J class. Haven't written yet, but somehow, not expecting to get much.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
So, Emirates has now downgraded my flight tomorrow morning from a three class 777 to a two class one. Not a word from Emirates regarding this. Booking was made on Emirates.com and my EK FF is attached to the reservation.

Then I decided to check my flights next week. Again. Three class A380 became two class 777. My return that was suppose to be on A380 is now on the two class 777. Part of the tickets involving these A380 just have been downgraded to business.

What is going on with Emirates? Off my eight segments over two tickets booked in first using ca$h, three have now been downgraded to business.

I'll probably going to have very interesting INVOL downgrade discussion with EK in not so distant future.

Not sure why it is so difficult for EK to contact people who have booked/paid F regarding possible changes to their itineraries and offer alternate options i.e. SQ or EY F.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by holtju2
So, Emirates has now downgraded my flight tomorrow morning from a three class 777 to a two class one. Not a word from Emirates regarding this. Booking was made on Emirates.com and my EK FF is attached to the reservation.

Then I decided to check my flights next week. Again. Three class A380 became two class 777. My return that was suppose to be on A380 is now on the two class 777. Part of the tickets involving these A380 just have been downgraded to business.

What is going on with Emirates? Off my eight segments over two tickets booked in first using ca$h, three have now been downgraded to business.

I'll probably going to have very interesting INVOL downgrade discussion with EK in not so distant future.

Not sure why it is so difficult for EK to contact people who have booked/paid F regarding possible changes to their itineraries and offer alternate options i.e. SQ or EY F.
Is the route DXB-LHR-DXB? What other routes are losing F on certain flights?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
Is the route DXB-LHR-DXB? What other routes are losing F on certain flights?
Is EK downgrading flights that touch Europe? Then they are in for quite a few EU related compensation requests.

DXB-CMB
DXB-KUL

These have both lost F one some of the flights. I was booked on the A380 DXB-KUL and it is now two class 777. That's quite a downgrade.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by holtju2
Is EK downgrading flights that touch Europe? Then they are in for quite a few EU related compensation requests.

DXB-CMB
DXB-KUL

These have both lost F one some of the flights. I was booked on the A380 DXB-KUL and it is now two class 777. That's quite a downgrade.
EK 029 / 030 to/from LHR was supposed to be an A388 and was downgraded to a 777-300/777-300ER (2-class some days and 3 class on others.)
Old Mar 5, 2012, 6:57 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
EK 029 / 030 to/from LHR was supposed to be an A388 and was downgraded to a 777-300/777-300ER (2-class some days and 3 class on others.)
It is strange indeed that most of us have not be advised at all about the downgrades. I'm travelling with a colleague this week and our DXB-KUL return leg was downgraded from a 380 to a 2-class 777.

We also had a date change - which complicated things but I persisted with EK until they finally found 2 "A" class seats on a 3-class bird. So all is well. But I do think that there will be a lot of people who aren't going to find out about their downgrade until they get to the airport, upon which a lot of arm waving could be expected.

We found out about ours via checking EF, and then dealing directly with the local SIN office to rectify.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If EK doesn't advise pax about the downgrades on those flights, they are certainly having to pay significant compensation per EU rules.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.