Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Redemption Table - Emirates & Partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2010, 6:20 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador

Redemption Details - EK and Partners.

The fastest way to determine redemption levels on EK is by logging into your Skywards account.

If you don't have a Skywards account and want to see what redemption levels look like, follow this link

Skywards Redemption Levels
Simply enter the origination and destination cities and see how many miles you will need for either an award flight (shows both Flex and Saver) and/or how many miles you will need for an upgrade (shows both upgrading a Saver Fare and a Flex Fare)

For example, lets say I want to see how many miles it will take to either redeem an award flight from MEL-SIN or how many miles it will take to upgrade an existing MEL-SIN ticket.

Go to Skywards.com, click on Earn and Spend -> Miles Calculator, then you will see the following:

You will then be presented with the following table.

You will see that the table shows you the miles required for a round trip award flight or round trip upgrade. Remember, you can only do one-way upgrades and award travel on Flex fares (see below)

This example shows the miles required for an ECONOMY round-trip flight reward. To see how many miles are required for Business or First, simply input the class of travel when you make the initial query.

If you're on a FLEX fare and want to know how many miles you will need to upgrade from Y-J between MEL-SIN, then you simply halve the indicated amount shown (ie the one-way upgrade is 30,000 miles)

If you apply for the upgrade prior to departure and the upgrade is processed successfully online, then you are entitled to Chauffeur Drive. To confirm this, it makes sense to call your local EK ticket office if you have one, or call the EK reservations number nearest you.

You can alter the flight search details at anytime by clicking on "recalculate" at the top of the page.

Saver and Flex Flight Awards
Skywards Saver Rewards offers you value when travelling in lower demand periods or when you are willing to choose alternate flights to reach your destination. They are offered on a return basis only, in all classes of travel. Skywards Saver Rewards allow a maximum stay of 3 months and permit you one stopover on your journey.

Skywards Flex Rewards offers you more reward seats during high demand periods and on high demand flights. They are offered on a return and one-way* basis, in all classes of travel. Skywards Flex Rewards also provide you full flexibility when making your travel plans. They allow you to stay up to one year, permit up to two stopovers and you can change your travel dates at any time without charge.

Saver and Flex Upgrades
There's differing opinion on the EK forum about the relative "value" of Saver and Flex upgrade awards. For example, if I wanted to do an upgrade award between MEL-SIN, one-way, it would cost 30,000 miles.

If however, I wanted to do a MEL-DXB, then the total upgrade would only cost 45,000 miles (ie only 15,000 more and it's essentially the same flight distance). As far as I'm concerned, that's much better value.

If you're not sure, just ask one of our resident experts.

Partner Redemption Details.

The following airlines are EK partners, in terms of mileage redemption.
  1. Japan Airlines - 1 Skywards Mile per mile flown
  2. Jet Airways - 1 Skywards Mile per mile flown
  3. Kingfisher Airlines - 1 Skywards Mile per mile flown
  4. Korean Air - 1 Skywards Mile per mile flown
  5. South African Airways - 1 Skywards Mile per mile flown

It's important to note that when you travel on EK airline partners, your Skywards account is only credited with RDM's (and not tier miles). RDM's = Redeemable Miles.

This is one of the main differences between EK/Skywards and Oneworld (OW) or Star Alliance (*A)

Last edited by eightblack; Nov 25, 2011 at 6:56 pm
Old May 18, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hyatt Passport Diamond, Le Club Accorhotels-Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold Elite
Thanks for the overview.

When flying partners airlines, do I earn miles both in the host airline and EK too?

Thanks
Old May 18, 2012, 9:35 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by rajivraj
Thanks for the overview.

When flying partners airlines, do I earn miles both in the host airline and EK too?

Thanks
Not that I am aware of no. In theory you may only acccrue miles/points in one programme for any given flight.
Old May 20, 2012, 2:59 am

Programs: EK | DL | BA
Once again, this only proves how EK has fallen from grace with the exceptionally complicated and restrictive Skywards policies

Best Airlines for Redeeming Miles

By Scott McCartney | The Wall Street Journal – Fri, May 18, 2012 3:16 PM EDT

Ready to redeem your frequent-flier miles and reward points for a plane ticket? You'll probably get a seat on Southwest, but good luck with Delta, at least at the basic redemption level.

Southwest Airlines has the best availability of award seats among U.S. airlines on travel dates this year between April and October, according to an annual survey by IdeaWorks Co., a travel consultancy that made 6,680 queries on 23 airline websites testing availability. The worst among U.S. airlines: Delta Air Lines and US Airways. Those two had no seats available at the lowest mileage level on about two out of every three inquires, or worse.

Availability increased this year at British Airways and United Airlines, along with JetBlue Airways, Southwest and its AirTran Airways unit. And it is tougher this year to get standard-level award tickets at American Airlines, which is undergoing bankruptcy reorganization.

The survey also signals an emerging industry trend: Airline points are more rewarding than airline miles.

Full story: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/best-a...041000814.html
Old May 20, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hyatt Passport Diamond, Le Club Accorhotels-Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold Elite
Originally Posted by mrtdxb
Not that I am aware of no. In theory you may only acccrue miles/points in one programme for any given flight.
Thanks mrtdxb. How about hotel partners that say "500 Miles per eligible stay". This will hotel program points + 500 miles on airline program?

Thanks again
Rajiv
Old May 20, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Thanks for the overview.

Thanks
You would only earn miles in one program... unless, the airline screws up somehow. And, the airlines do screw up, but not often.
Old May 20, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Thanks mrtdxb. How about hotel partners that say "500 Miles per eligible stay". This will hotel program points + 500 miles on airline program?

Thanks again
Rajiv
Yes, that has worked for me.
Old May 24, 2012, 3:23 pm

Sorry for the dumb question, but...

If I have Chase Ultimate Reward miles and transfer those to Korean Air, can I then use those miles on Emirates? They're mentioned as a partner, but I was unclear if they were just allowing you to get your Korean Air miles while flying Emirates, or if they actually let you book on Emirates with your Korean Air points.

TIA
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:24 pm

bump...
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by farbster
If I have Chase Ultimate Reward miles and transfer those to Korean Air, can I then use those miles on Emirates? They're mentioned as a partner, but I was unclear if they were just allowing you to get your Korean Air miles while flying Emirates, or if they actually let you book on Emirates with your Korean Air points.
Threre is an EK redemption table on the Korean Air website so it looks like the answer is yes.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
As this thread has been bumped, does anyone have recent experience of redeeming their EK Skywards for use on partner airlines?

Contemplating using my points for a couple of trips within Southern Africa with SAA.

I know I have to complete the online form. How quick are they at getting back to you, once you've submitted it?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:13 am

This thread could just as well be closed or deleted as the data and links are no longer relevant

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.