Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

The Definitive EK On-Board "Cash Upgrade" Thread.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive EK On-Board "Cash Upgrade" Thread.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:28 pm

Actually, does anyone know if I should receive business miles for a paid upgrade ticket? The manage your booking section on the Emirates site still has the economy miles.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:41 am

Programs: AirNZ Gold Elite + a bunch of nothings thanks to covid
You get the miles for the original ticket.

Cheers
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:36 am

That depends. Now I am not sure if this still applies post the 2010 changes, but I once paid for DXB-BKK on board upgrade. I did not get the miles until after my return trip when I passed by the Skywards desk in the F lounge in DXB and gave them the boarding pass and the receipt for upgrade.
I had called and faxed Skywards in Melbourne but never received a confirmation.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 8:00 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Im not sure if this counts as an "on-board cash upgrade", however last month i was flying mel-sin-dxb-fra return. I was stopping over in sin and dxb on the leg ex melbourne, and when i was in singapore, i was offered 1500 dirhams (approx US$415) for the dxb-fra-dxb legs. I didn't take the deal because I only checked my email when I was in germany. I would like to ask however, if I had taken the offer, would I have received the extra tier miles for flying the europe sector in biz class?
Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:00 am

HB7, these email offers usually come with earning miles as per the base ticket and not the upgraded.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Here's the full terms and conditions for the email upgrade offer:

http://www.emirates.com/english/dest...onditions.aspx
Old Mar 26, 2010, 4:37 pm

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by ung1
Here's the full terms and conditions for the email upgrade offer:

http://www.emirates.com/english/dest...onditions.aspx
Is this still available?

looking to buy a ticket NYC-DXB-CMB and would love to upgrade NYC-DXB part. Any idea on the price I would pay? Also, if I call their call center, could I do it on the phone (this is last minute purchase, looking to fly this Monday)

thx

Last edited by volta; Mar 26, 2010 at 10:51 pm
Old Mar 27, 2010, 7:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by volta
Is this still available?

looking to buy a ticket NYC-DXB-CMB and would love to upgrade NYC-DXB part. Any idea on the price I would pay? Also, if I call their call center, could I do it on the phone (this is last minute purchase, looking to fly this Monday)

thx
Only if you actually receive the email from them.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:51 pm

I'm flying LAX-DXB-HYD this weekend and I just received an upgrade offer form Emirates via email. It said i could upgrade my LAX-DXB leg to business for just $990. i happily took the offer. They try to sell as many seats as possible as your departures closes in so watch out for that email if you are a skywards member and you booked your ticket with emirates directly. good luck!

Quicksilver21
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: NZ, QF
I received an email upgrade offer on my MEL/AKL/MEL journey in mid-Mar 10. On the MEL/AKL sector, an upgrade from Y to J cost AUD160. A340-500 was deployed. I took the offer.

But I didn't receive an email upgrade offer on the return segment.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 8:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver, TK Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat AMB
Anyone have any experience of upgrading Y miles ticket to J on Male - Colombo sector by paying a cash fee onboard or at airport?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:20 am

I am amazed

I am surprised at these cash upgrades. I fly Ek probably once every 2 weeks or so either in J or F. Whenever I fly with the family i.e I am paying. I allways book in Y. For the past 3 or 4 years my family and I have allways been op-up to J and on some occasions even straight to F. I started getting those emails about a cash upgrade to J but ignor them. The last time I flew for my own account I was flying JNB-DXB-LAX with the wife and 2 children we where boked in Y, at the gate given new boarding cards to J for JNB-DXB and I thought "rather op-up for the DXB-LAX" so was a bit miffed looking at the 16 Hour second leg when at the gate in DXB where again op-uped but this time from Y to F!! On return where in F LAX-DXB-JNB. Again no cash was paid.

What surprises me is I saw a guy at LAX flying J (he was in the lounge) trying despratly for an F op-up but was told it is full. At this stage I was still in Y but again at the gate straight into F. How do they amke these decisions?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by amcdw
I am surprised at these cash upgrades. I fly Ek probably once every 2 weeks or so either in J or F. Whenever I fly with the family i.e I am paying. I allways book in Y. For the past 3 or 4 years my family and I have allways been op-up to J and on some occasions even straight to F. I started getting those emails about a cash upgrade to J but ignor them. The last time I flew for my own account I was flying JNB-DXB-LAX with the wife and 2 children we where boked in Y, at the gate given new boarding cards to J for JNB-DXB and I thought "rather op-up for the DXB-LAX" so was a bit miffed looking at the 16 Hour second leg when at the gate in DXB where again op-uped but this time from Y to F!! On return where in F LAX-DXB-JNB. Again no cash was paid.

What surprises me is I saw a guy at LAX flying J (he was in the lounge) trying despratly for an F op-up but was told it is full. At this stage I was still in Y but again at the gate straight into F. How do they amke these decisions?
Welcome to FT!
HKG-BKK $2700 HKD
Old Dec 14, 2011, 8:18 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards, SAS, Krisflyer, Royal Orchid Plus
September 2011 - DXB-MLE - $750 from J to F...
Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
DXB-HYD Y to J cost

Is it possible at check in to request to pay extra to go to J? My one way ticket was around $250.00 USD (discounted Y). Can this be done at the gate in DXB? What is the going price for a last minute upgrade? (a one way business ticket on this route is about $550 USD.)

When I have been on this flight before business and first are almost always completely empty...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.